Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 09:25 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Queen Street West in Toronto reminds me of Uptown in Minneapolis.
I'd say there are a bunch of neighborhoods and amenities in both cities that are similar.

Distillery District/St. Lawrence/Corktown = North Loop/Mill District
Cabbagetown = Whittier
The Annex = Marcy-Holmes/Dinkytown
Kensington/Chinatown/Little Italy = Cedar-Riverside/West Bank/Seward
Roncesvalles = Northeast
Leslieville = Powderhorn
Toronto Islands = Chain of Lakes

Both cities have massive research universities adjacent to downtown.

The St. Lawrence Market is essentially a larger version of the Midtown Global Market.

The immense diversity all over the city of Toronto looks and feels similar to the diversity of the Midtown Philips and Cedar-Riverside neighborhoods of Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 09:43 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
I never got a feeling of a similar vibe between Toronto and Minneapolis at all. There are some similarities between Chicago and Toronto, and I think the two are a much more logical comparison.

Overall I think Toronto is a nice city, but it's not my favorite Canadian city.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I was so jealous of you guys mayor....at least he was entertaining.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:12 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
Chicago has a strong White-Catholic ethnic heritage (Irish, Italian, Polish, etc.) that has no comparison in Toronto.
A quick google search will show that to be not true at all.

Old 05-09-2015, 10:17 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Great city but very expensive. People can "buy" houses but never pay off their mortgage. Extremely diverse. Very family friendly. Nice place. I could see myself living there but I'd need to earn a whole lot more than I do.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Toronto is the most similar to Chicago, but more international. Kind of a 3 parts Chicago, 1 part NYC, but baked in a Canadian oven.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:32 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
One thing to the OP and to Americans as a whole - Torontonians never have made the claim that Toronto is on the level of NYC.. Typically its outsiders who say that just to provide some perspective to the fact its the largest city in the country - not Torontonians engaging in some sort of delusional hubris.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:56 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post

Many people in Minneapolis, as well as Toronto, tend to be very polite and friendly, yet passive aggressive.

What does this mean - passive/aggressive lol?? I don't get it - Like any big city with a large population both in the city and metro Torontonians are simply a diverse lot period.. How are we 'passive' aggressive anymore than any other city of comparable size be considered such..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Great city but very expensive. People can "buy" houses but never pay off their mortgage. Extremely diverse. Very family friendly. Nice place. I could see myself living there but I'd need to earn a whole lot more than I do.
Rent is pretty cheap though and i can tell you the people buying those overprices SFH's can largely afford them and aren't too worried about mortages.. Condo's are pricey but still a more affordable option and as I said, for a city of its size - rental costs for housing is an absolute bargain vs cities like S.F, Boston and Seattle for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
[/b]

A lot of the above can be applied to Chicago as well
This is the case with so many cities... We also tend to 'look' for similarities in many ways instead of actually seeing what is obviously different and than say it is not on that cities 'level' - its so silly!

You do realize John Tory is now the Mayor of Toronto right lol.... If Rob Ford engaged in his freefall antics prior to his election to the office instead of during he would never have been elected mayor of the city. Toronto is much bigger than the Ford family and we've had enough of that nonsense... Time to move along.. I think Rob Ford will sit comfortable as just a City Council member for the remainder of his political days assuming he survives his cancer battle.

John Tory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by fusion2; 05-09-2015 at 01:07 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 01:27 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Minneapolis doesn't feel anything like Toronto.

I also noticed some comments on the cleanliness of Toronto, well to me Toronto felt surprisingly gritty. Grittier than Chicago which in the loop at least looks like well manicured office buildings. In Toronto there were a lot of homeless beggars who appeared to be native-american heritage. There was trash and graffiti in quite a few places.

I would say Tokyo is the cleanest major city in the world. Or pick some similar Asian city.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:21 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake88 View Post
As a Torontonian I'm just wondering. Do you think of ot it at all? And of you do (say you live in a border state) what are your perceptions of it? Do you think it compares to New York City of Chicago
Toronto is an excellent city! I've been about five times in my life...twice in the last few years. I do consider it similar to Chicago, although I slightly prefer Chicago as I used to live there. For my preferences, it has much better Chinese food than Chicago, a little bit more diversity, and fairly equal arts and culture. Both are way too cold in the winter but quite awesome in the summer.

I would have no qualms moving my family to Toronto (except that my wife would require a winter home elsewhere)...the only things that would be lacking for me would be the American sports scene...not sure how wild Torontonians are about American sports.

That said, I do prefer Montreal to Toronto. I think it has far more unique qualities, richer arts and culture, and is a bit more picturesque. That would be my first choice for a home in Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.