U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 02:59 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

That said, I do prefer Montreal to Toronto. I think it has far more unique qualities, richer arts and culture, and is a bit more picturesque. That would be my first choice for a home in Canada.
Boooo lol - well Toronto is a fast growing and transformative city so we'll work hard to convert ya to the right side

Seriously though, Montreal is fantastic city and for an American I can see why it would be more unique than Toronto.. Really Quebec is one of the more unique places in all of North America... I suppose in the same way for an Anglo Canadian like me, New Orleans would be more unique to visit than Seattle or Chicago..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Minneapolis doesn't feel anything like Toronto.

I also noticed some comments on the cleanliness of Toronto, well to me Toronto felt surprisingly gritty. Grittier than Chicago which in the loop at least looks like well manicured office buildings. In Toronto there were a lot of homeless beggars who appeared to be native-american heritage. There was trash and graffiti in quite a few places.

I would say Tokyo is the cleanest major city in the world. Or pick some similar Asian city.
I think you are right - the flesh and bones of Toronto is a whole lot more gritty than people think - especially if you venture west of the DT core.. People wise, there are a lot of interesting characters in Old Toronto lol...

Last edited by fusion2; 05-09-2015 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:14 PM

1,743 posts, read 958,564 times
The Raptors don't have "it".

Old 05-10-2015, 06:12 AM

32,055 posts, read 32,950,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake88 View Post
As a Torontonian I'm just wondering. Do you think of ot it at all? And of you do (say you live in a border state) what are your perceptions of it? Do you think it compares to New York City of Chicago
Recently I visited Toronto for the first time. It is a nice city but definitely much smaller than NYC.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:35 PM

5,441 posts, read 8,143,275 times
It might as well be in the US tbh

Old 05-10-2015, 02:47 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
It might as well be in the US tbh
Is that a bad thing? I think if you scratch beneath the surface you'll find differences for sure but yeah, I mean Toronto is geographically very close to many U.S cities and shares much in common with many.. With that said when I'm in Buffalo - the closest major U.S city to Toronto there definately feels like a difference to me. In built form and just the people/demographics. Even in Montreal when you leave the old part and go into the burbs its still very 'Canamerican' - ultimately we do share a lot of history, architecture and general 'feel' - I'm not ashamed of it at all.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-10-2015 at 03:31 PM..

Old 05-11-2015, 09:14 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,778,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
A quick google search will show that to be not true at all.
True. I'm sure Toronto may have more current foreign born from European countries more than Chicago.

I guess what I was trying to get at, is that Chicago has been run and governed and dominated by people of working class white ethnic-Catholic roots.

For example: The Daley dynasty, were Irish Catholics from Bridgeport that grew up around stockyards and corner taverns. I get the sense that any "old-elite" aspect of Toronto may be me more "Anglo" than Chicago.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:44 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,707,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake88 View Post
As a Torontonian I'm just wondering. Do you think of ot it at all? And of you do (say you live in a border state) what are your perceptions of it? Do you think it compares to New York City of Chicago
You know, I like Toronto. I've been there multiple times on business and for fun. So count me in as a fan of the city.

That being said, I just can't quite put it in the same category as a Chicago, let alone New York. New York really is only comparable to other megacities such as London, Tokyo, and Shanghai. I would instead compare it to cities such as Atlanta and Seattle in terms of size, amenities, etc. Now, in terms of livability, it puts Atlanta to shame, but I'm not so sure about cities such as Seattle.

If you pressed me for a knock on Toronto, I would have to say the generic nature of the architecture. With the exception of the CN Tower, there really seems to be a lack of any iconic buildings in the city skyline. That's the thing that always strikes me during my visits.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,629,631 times
I would echo what SDPMiami wrote above. TO seems to have a lot of graffiti(chicken scratch type, not murals) which adds to a gritty/dirty look. Maybe 20 yrs ago it was clean, but now? Their previous mayor was notorious for wanting to get rid of it.

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpr...6/gr.jpg?w=620

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2011/06/201161-mb.jpg

Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I like Toronto. I've been there multiple times on business and for fun. So count me in as a fan of the city.

That being said, I just can't quite put it in the same category as a Chicago, let alone New York. New York really is only comparable to other megacities such as London, Tokyo, and Shanghai. I would instead compare it to cities such as Atlanta and Seattle in terms of size, amenities, etc. Now, in terms of livability, it puts Atlanta to shame, but I'm not so sure about cities such as Seattle.

If you pressed me for a knock on Toronto, I would have to say the generic nature of the architecture. With the exception of the CN Tower, there really seems to be a lack of any iconic buildings in the city skyline. That's the thing that always strikes me during my visits.
I feel that many of the iconic and interesting building just get lost in the building frenzy that Toronto has been in lately. Because many of the buildings are newer, they sometimes don't have that grand feeling of buildings built in the early 20th century. I don't mind though, as it gives Toronto a more modern skyline, as opposed to one stuck in time.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:09 AM

1,500 posts, read 1,350,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
I would echo what SDPMiami wrote above. TO seems to have a lot of graffiti(chicken scratch type, not murals) which adds to a gritty/dirty look. Maybe 20 yrs ago it was clean, but now? Their previous mayor was notorious for wanting to get rid of it.

https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpr...6/gr.jpg?w=620

http://www.blogto.com/upload/2011/06/201161-mb.jpg
If you think Toronto is bad for this, you should go to Montreal, it's covered in graffiti, both the good and bad kinds. Many European cities, especially German ones are also covered in graffiti, way worse than Toronto or Montreal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or