U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which "coast term" do you prefer?
North Coast 17 21.25%
Fresh Coast 7 8.75%
Third Coast 12 15.00%
Other (please specify) 2 2.50%
None (these are all terrible) 44 55.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:19 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,764,942 times

Advertisements

No... That's not my experience at all, they are coasts.

Anyway it's not as though we don't talk about shores on the ocean just as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 10:56 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,195,318 times
If this is for the bordering states to Canada, with the exceptions of the ones touching an ocean: how about No Coast.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 AM

3,794 posts, read 6,529,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
How is it not coastal? They are seas and they are directly connected and navigable to the Atlantic Ocean. Duluth, Cleveland, Toronto, Chicago, Green Bay, they're all major ports. Duluth-Superior's nickname is Twin Ports. The Irish Sea is roughly the same size as Lake Superior. Is Dublin not coastal?
You're picking leaves off of the lemon tree here and speaking of lemons non of them have saltwater like the Irish Sea. As a matter of fact Ireland would have more in common with Dauphin Island Alabama than it would with any great lake state. Ireland is just as coastal as Keywest and Dauphin Island Alabama. Lake superior is the largest lake in the world sitting 350 miles strong yet on the other side of either direction there is land for days. I wouldn't consider the country of Ukraine coastal even though it boarders the Black Sea ( 730 miles).

Last edited by PortCity; 05-11-2015 at 06:18 AM..

Old 05-11-2015, 11:15 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,466,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
You're picking leaves off of the lemon tree here and speaking of lemons non of them have saltwater like the Irish Sea. As a matter of fact Ireland would have more in common with Dauphin Island Alabama than it would with any great lake state. Ireland is just as coastal as Keywest and Dauphin Island Alabama. Lake superior is the largest lake in the world sitting 350 miles strong yet on the other side of either direction there is land for days. I wouldn't consider the country of Ukraine coastal even though it boarders the Black Sea ( 730 miles).
No offense.... but maybe it is You "picking leaves off the lemon tree"..... Definitions OFFICIALLY, do not say ANYTHING about must be saltwater. In fact; it INCLUDES LAKES...

Full Definition;
a line that forms the boundary between the land and the ocean or a lake

Coastline | Definition of coastline by Merriam-Webster

Shoreline more commonly used for lakes is still listed as a synonym for coastline.

coastline - Definition from the GEOGRAPHY topic - SOCIETY

Coast-Line; the land on the edge of the coast, especially the shape of this land as seen from the air:

I STILL SEE THIS AS A COASTLINE AND SHORELINE

Old 05-12-2015, 06:18 AM

It's amazing how Webster mentioned the California and New England Coast. When someone think of a coast The great lakes do not come to mind and they do not hold salt water there for can not suppprt saltwater sea life. Salt and Fresh water to me seperates shoreline from a TRUE coast. Lake Guntersville , Lake Sinclair , Sardi Lake , and Lake Peigneur are all coastal I assume. They are just as coastal as Destin ,Fl or Santa Catalina Island.

Last edited by PortCity; 05-12-2015 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 06:43 AM

378 posts, read 355,299 times
North Coast.
However, I think saying the Great Lakes Region makes them even more special. Much like saying the Gulf Region is more special than just the East Coast or on the Atlantic.

As for the poster that claims that The Great Lakes are not connected to the Atlantic Ocean? That makes me wounder about this nations education system today. When I was growing up we learned about the geography of North America, and with that, we learned about the St. Lawrence Seaway. If you every go to a Great Lakes port you will notice not only huge, lake only ships, but international, ocean going ships too. FYI these ships dumping ballast are the cause of the invasive species in the Great Lakes....ie sea lamprey, Bloody Red shrimp, Chinese mitten crab, zebra muscles......

Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 AM

1,502 posts, read 1,354,672 times
Here in Ontario we call the Lake Huron shoreline Ontario's West Coast, and Lake Erie's shorline Ontario's South Coast, and James And Hudson Bay are Ontario's North Coast ( the only salt water coast)

Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
North Coast.
However, I think saying the Great Lakes Region makes them even more special. Much like saying the Gulf Region is more special than just the East Coast or on the Atlantic.

As for the poster that claims that The Great Lakes are not connected to the Atlantic Ocean? That makes me wounder about this nations education system today. When I was growing up we learned about the geography of North America, and with that, we learned about the St. Lawrence Seaway. If you every go to a Great Lakes port you will notice not only huge, lake only ships, but international, ocean going ships too. FYI these ships dumping ballast are the cause of the invasive species in the Great Lakes....ie sea lamprey, Bloody Red shrimp, Chinese mitten crab, zebra muscles......
To be honest if your not from that area then there is a good chance that one may not know about St.Lawrence that has nothing to do with lack of education.Looking at a quick google map it is rather difficult to see the connection between the great lakes and the Atlantic through St.Lawrence. To add on top of that it's a MAN MADE STRUCTURE so naturaly they were not connected to the Atlanatic prior to 1959. Looking at a map of the Carribean sea and the Central America the map does not show how the Carribean Sea is connected to the Pacific through the Panama Canal. I have met a great deal of educated people who come down here to visit the beaches in Alabama who never knew that Alabama has one of the largest deltas in the world or even a canyon.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:53 AM

From my travels I have never known or talked to anyone who live on or near a lake actually consider their region /area as coastal as Sea Island , Ga.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:09 AM

378 posts, read 355,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
To be honest if your not from that area then there is a good chance that one may not know about St.Lawrence that has nothing to do with lack of education.Looking at a quick google map it is rather difficult to see the connection between the great lakes and the Atlantic through St.Lawrence. To add on top of that it's a MAN MADE STRUCTURE so naturaly they were not connected to the Atlanatic prior to 1959. Looking at a map of the Carribean sea and the Central America the map does not show how the Carribean Sea is connected to the Pacific through the Panama Canal. I have met a great deal of educated people who come down here to visit the beaches in Alabama who never knew that Alabama has one of the largest deltas in the world or even a canyon.
Prior to the building of the locks, there were rapids that were too dangerous to for ship traffic.
Except for one daring captain did it in 1890. SS City of Everett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for not learning about the St. Lawrence Seaway in school because you are not from the north? I do not buy it. Under the same subject I learned about all of the waterways and ports of North America......ie river commerce of the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers and the vital WW2 ship building in Mobile, AL to name just a few from your neck of the woods. FYI, when I was in the army I knew people that had no idea that Alabama had a coast, never the less had a vibrant ship building industry - and they were from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or