Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 02:50 PM

32 posts, read 136,100 times

Advertisements

Ok,
I have to be honest. I want to live in a city with a big black population. Right now I am in Seattle so if that tells you anything or you can just go read the Seattle forum. I have been reading the pros and cons on both but I need more info. I want an area that is safe enough for me to use my common sense and not always have to look behind my shoulder. I want museums, bookstores, culture, restaurants,malls, colleges , great scenary, and 4 seasons, family friendly, diversity, etc. etc.

Recent grad with masters degree
young black professional
will rent an apt.

I guess, I just need help, I don't know what else to say...I want to know what you liked and didn't like about the areas and which one you prefer and why..I need all the information you can give me. A one time visit just don't justify what you all can tell me. All info needed. Crime, traffic, job market, public transportation, info on things to do, info on churches, info on diversity--- i need it all and anything else you can think of ..Also if you think there is a better area or better city than D.C. metro or Atlanta with lots of black people and all the things I listed, I want to know so I can research it--any recommendations welcome! Thanks

Ok,
I have to be honest. I want to live in a city with a big black population. Right now I am in Seattle so if that tells you anything or you can just go read the Seattle forum. I have been reading the pros and cons on both but I need more info. I want an area that is safe enough for me to use my common sense and not always have to look behind my shoulder. I want museums, bookstores, culture, restaurants,malls, colleges , great scenary, and 4 seasons, family friendly, diversity, etc. etc.

Recent grad with masters degree
young black professional
will rent an apt.

I guess, I just need help, I don't know what else to say...I want to know what you liked and didn't like about the areas and which one you prefer and why..I need all the information you can give me. A one time visit just don't justify what you all can tell me. All info needed. Crime, traffic, job market, public transportation, info on things to do, info on churches, info on diversity--- i need it all and anything else you can think of ..Also if you think there is a better area or better city than D.C. metro or Atlanta with lots of black people and all the things I listed, I want to know so I can research it--any recommendations welcome! Thanks

Jnestorr, I replied to your Seattle comment--let me know if you didn't get it.

Ok,

Recent grad with masters degree in social work
young black professional
will rent an apt.

So where should I move:
Young black family: no kids
wife recently graduated from college with a masters in social work
husband going to get his graduate degree (so need good schools)
will rent apt
need an area with lots of culture and diversity
museums, bookstores, good restaurants, public transportation, safety all things we look into
Need pros and cons--what you like or don't like about columbus
Not really concerned about crime: just want to make sure crime is not everywhere---just in certain areas---I need facts

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-22-2008 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 02:58 PM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving?? View Post
Ok,

Recent grad with masters degree in social work
young black professional
will rent an apt.

Don't come to d.c. unless you want sticker shock. go south young man (atlanta)! but if you were a family man I would choose charlotte.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:19 PM

245 posts, read 881,055 times
these were our choices too. we visited all to confirm.

dc was too expensive and congested for our taste
atl was too too congested and to spread out
we cose clt for family, great airport (in/out)

Old 01-18-2008, 06:08 PM

355 posts, read 992,469 times
Oh and one more thing, DC area have a very serious rat population!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Ok, here's my take on it. If you're looking for a city with a large black population, you can get that information readily online, from places like the census bureau site. However, I would suggest you not concentrate on looking for just a large black population. From your background, I'd imagine you also want to be around "like" individuals such as yourself. With that said, I'd recommend you check out this link below...

2005 PMSA Aggregate Report (http://www.eeoc.gov/stats/jobpat/2005/msa/index.html - broken link)

You can go to each city and see the number of "black professionals" who live there. Some places may surprise you. You'll see that Charlotte has a considerable number of black professionals, especially for its size. However, you'll also see that some places, such as Boston, have a few "thousands" more than Charlotte, which I thought was interesting.

My suggestion, if you're looking for a place with thousands of black professionals, plus nice weather, then you might want to concentrate on places like Atlanta, Dallas, Houston and Miami; or even LA. If weather's not a concern, looks like any of the major metros up North would work for you.

As for Charlotte, I love it here, as do most people who post on this board. So we're probably a little biased. But I always tell friends who consider moving here, that the niche of this "town" is that it is a small place, with many offerings you will find in larger metros. But I always warn them; DO NOT FORGET, THIS IS a SMALL TOWN!!! So if "big city" is what you're looking for, Charlotte is probably not for you. For example, if you enjoy the "hustle and bustle" of Seattle, but just didn't like the lack of black professionals, you definitely should NOT consider Charlotte. You'd be happier somewhere larger like Atlanta, Miami, DC or one of the large Texas metros.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:32 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
Oh and with that link too, sometimes you should "add" some places together. For example, Miami plus Fort Lauderdale, would give you the true number for that area. Also Dallas and Fort Worth.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:51 PM

3 posts, read 13,786 times
I moved here from the DC/Metro a little over a year ago and have not looked back. DC would be my recommendation as it gives you ALL of the things you are looking for. I agree with the other poster in that Charlotte would be better if you are a family man.....DC/Metro is not the place for a married man

Old 01-22-2008, 05:01 PM

80 posts, read 231,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahoo95 View Post
I moved here from the DC/Metro a little over a year ago and have not looked back. DC would be my recommendation as it gives you ALL of the things you are looking for. I agree with the other poster in that Charlotte would be better if you are a family man.....DC/Metro is not the place for a married man

Im thinking of relocating to Charlotte from the DC Metro area (Columbia, MD) and Im moving because this area is ridiculously expensive and it takes 2 hours to go 20 miles anytime from 4-7pm

I used to live in Atlanta and the traffic there is much better (still not great though) but it def has a strong black population. My recommendation is to REALLY visit those areas and then make a decision based on that

Old 01-22-2008, 05:29 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,823,233 times
The only city I know a lot about is St. Louis, but it has museums, lots of different restaurants, some bookstores, and the metrolink is apparently a decent way to get around. Crime can be bad in some areas, but just use common sense. The city is about half-black, 43% white, and the rest is other races. Unfortunately, St. Louis is somewhat segregated as well. The North tends to be more black and the south more white, but it kind of mixes in the middle (from what I understand of it).

St. Louis is pretty affordable. You can probably get a decent 1BR condo in the city for $800-$900/month, and houses shouldn't cost much more. The city is beautiful in most parts and has started gaining population again slowly.

The crime can be a problem, so you'll just have to use common sense. If a place looks dangerous and unfamiliar, avoid it if you can. The North Side can be a scary place in some parts of it, especially the areas with more drug and gang violence, but as long as you stay out of it you should be fine. The North Side is undergoing renovations, though, and some beautiful, restored homes I'm sure are now available, as long as you're willing to deal with the possibility of violence.

Sports are a big part of the city as well, especially baseball. Baseball's like a religion here, although the Blues and Rams have good attendance as well. Collinsville, IL is trying to get an MLS team in '09 or '10. I couldn't tell you much about jobs, though. If you still need a college degree SLU and Washington U. are great schools, though maybe a bit pricey. There's some other schools in the area. The area is beautiful as well, and there are some great parks in St. Louis. You get snow in the winter, heat in the summer, and both seasons in between.

Urban St. Louis - Index has more info than I could give you.

Detroit is about 80% black, but I can't tell you much about it. The statistics say it is very dangerous, but I couldn't tell you more than the statistics could, and they're not always entirely accurate.

Last edited by STLCardsBlues1989; 01-22-2008 at 05:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,559,693 times
It may be cold, but Chicago will have Washington's urbanity and black population without the sticker shock of coastal cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.