U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:42 AM

5,745 posts, read 3,693,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
Des Moines: I hate Bobby Jindal so damn much.
Why would Iowa's capital city remind you of the governor of Louisiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 AM

2,753 posts, read 2,236,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
But like other cities in Ohio, the suburbs are amazing. I have been pleasantly surprised by the outlying towns around Toledo.
Maumee isn't too bad and Oregon as well. People have been moving out of cities in Ohio for a very long time now. Cleveland is probably the best example. A city of nearly 900,000 at its peak dipped to roughly 390,000 in 60-70 years. It hasn't increased since, only deceased. The suburbs of Cleveland aren't growing either. They had their suburb boom and now it's in a small decline. People are moving farther and farther away from Cleveland. Cuyahogs County isn't growing but Medina and Lorain County are. Probably the only city in Ohio that's actually growing at a healthy rate is Columbus. The rest are behind them.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 AM

5,745 posts, read 3,693,530 times
I have driven past all of these cities on the highway, so I guess that qualifies me to render an opinion!

Des Moines, Iowa -- surprisingly pleasant city; capital of a very corn-intensive state

Hartford, Connecticut -- insurance agencies surrounded by slums

Wichita, Kansas -- tornadoes; headquarters of Cessna Aircraft Company

Toledo, Ohio -- decaying Rust Belt city; Corporal Max Klinger's hometown

Wilmington, Delaware -- seat of incorporation for hundreds of companies. This is the only city on the list that I have actually visited to any extent. They've done a really nice job fixing up the riverfront area along Justison Street.

Manchester, New Hampshire -- New England mill town

Fargo, North Dakota -- I have a friend who is obsessed with Fargo, despite having never stepped foot in the place. (Don't ask me why; I've asked and she can never explain it herself.) So when I found myself in the area, I pulled off the highway to check it out. And I'm glad I did! I expected it to be a boring nothing, but I was very pleasantly surprised at how attractive the town is.

Which one's on top? I'd say either Fargo or Des Moines. Were it not for the bone-chilling winters (or so I've heard), I could see living in Fargo. Des Moines would also be a place I could imagine living in.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:03 AM

1,393 posts, read 1,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Des Moines, Iowa - Insurance. Near Chicago. Intriguing urban renewal.
350 miles is "close to Chicago"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Fargo, North Dakota - TV show I watched as a kid. Small town, cold winters.
What TV show is that?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:14 AM

6,344 posts, read 7,018,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I was wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
350 miles is "close to Chicago"?
Seeing as I'm 1061 miles away, yes. When I lived in Chicago I always wanted to visit. I realize now that Toledo is closer than Des Moines, but when I answered originally I did not know. It was just my first impression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
What TV show is that?
Ha! I don't know. I must have been thinking of the wrong city/show title since there's a new one with that name. What I watched...and I don't even remember what it was about...would have probably been in the 90s and set in some cold, northern town. I thought about double-checking my responses before i posted but decided not to since it would be truer to the idea of "first impressions."

Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 AM

378 posts, read 356,784 times
Des Moines, Iowa
Low crime, happy people and good place to raise a family

Hartford, Connecticut
Impressive skyline that makes the city a lot bigger than the city really is, Downtown is dead after 5pm, Insurgence headquarters, the Hartford Whalers, unfortunately high crime and poverty in the city proper.

Wichita, Kansas
Airplane manufacturing, Blue collar, like most western cities it is isolated, and like most plains cities it is flat.

Toledo, Ohio
Glass, dead downtown, University of Toledo football, Nice zoo, Has seen much better days

Wilmington, Delaware
Credit card companies, Impressive skyline for the city's size, high crime with a lot of murders for the size of the city.....get the crime under control, it seems like it would be a nice place to live.

Manchester, New Hampshire
I am sad to say that I just do not know much about this city, but I have heard that it is a nice place to live

Fargo, North Dakota
Colder than most, Safe, Very small metro, College town - always a positive, Small city feel.....looks more like cities that are 40to50k

Overall, I would rank Des Moines as the highest of the list.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:12 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,200,232 times
Quote:
Because he's burning this state to do well in Iowa (the moron really thinks he has a shot at the national scene)!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:37 AM

2,320 posts, read 1,870,943 times
Des Moiness, Iowa
Nothing really..

Hartford, Connecticut
expensive

Wichita, Kansas
tornados

Toledo, Ohio
um.. bloring

Wilmington, Delaware
Not sure of this city at all..

Manchester, New Hampshire
Again not sure

Fargo, North Dakota
Harsh winters

Hartford CT stands out most to me.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:40 AM

11,200 posts, read 22,448,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Des Moines is very attractive to young professional workers. I feel like it's been definitely turning into a white collar town. Kind of funny since I'd consider most of Iowa to be the complete opposite. Corn fields to farms to Corn Fields and then you hit Iowa 80 which is the Worlds Largest Truck Stop. That's what I love about Iowa. So many small and unknown roadside attractions.
Des Moines has made huge strides in the past 20 year or so, it's quite impressive.

Des Moines/Ames metro with its 755,000 and the Cedar Rapids/Iowa City areas with their 423,000 people make up nearly 40% of the state's population and are quite progressive, white collar and educated.

Another 600,000 people, or around 20% live in the more industrial metro areas of Sioux City, Waterloo, Davenport and Dubuque.

Growing up in Iowa I was surprised at just how much people thought the state revolved around farming. Everyone would ask "did you grow up on a farm?". No - only around 5% of the state's population lives on a farm and agriculture and farming is 3.5% of the state's total $$ output.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM

2,753 posts, read 2,236,754 times
Quote:
Probably because of this...
Bobby Jindal ratchets up Iowa effort

He's building up a team in Iowa for the presidential bid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.