Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 08:34 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,088,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
What are your first impressions / opinions of these cities?

Which city stands on top?

Des Moiness, Iowa

Hartford, Connecticut

Wichita, Kansas

Toledo, Ohio

Wilmington, Delaware

Manchester, New Hampshire

Fargo, North Dakota
Des Moiness, Iowa= Iowa Cubs...

Hartford, Connecticut= Insurance companies...

Wichita, Kansas= Wizard of Oz...

Toledo, Ohio= Tiny Detroit...

Wilmington, Delaware...Credit cards/banks...

Manchester, New Hampshire....Um?

Fargo, North Dakota...The movie Fargo...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
Did you happen to root for the Colonials the one year they were around in the United Football League? (2009-12; Hartford played in 2010) I supported them and Sacramento. They played at Rentschler Field and got around 10-13,000 fans a game.

With all the controversy surrounding the NFL, a new alternative league needs to swoop in. Would totally root for Hartford again.
I love Rentschler Field. Unfortunately I didn't go to any Colonials games. I think UFL folded? I can't remember but there's a league called the NAFL that's looking in Hartford as we speak. It's called the Connecticut Colonials. It's not just football either. Actually many teams are coming to Hartford. There's a minor league soccer team looking to relocate to Hartford and a Eastern League baseball team is coming to Hartford from neighboring New Britain. Theyre building a new $60 million dollar stadium as we speak. Should be awesome when it opens up next year.

Here's the NAFL team from the leagues website
Connecticut Colonials | NAFL

Old 05-09-2015, 08:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Des Moiness, Iowa= Iowa Cubs...

Hartford, Connecticut= Insurance companies...

Wichita, Kansas= Wizard of Oz...

Toledo, Ohio= Tiny Detroit...

Wilmington, Delaware...Credit cards/banks...

Manchester, New Hampshire....Um?

Fargo, North Dakota...The movie Fargo...
Theres this one guy on Youtube who constantly posts videos about how Toledo is crumbling. He posts videos about an abandoned mall and a dead downtown area. I forget the users name. Whenever I see pictures of Toledo I think of Detroit. Both cities have had better days. People are leaving Toledo and even one of its tallest buildings is vacant.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,327,233 times
Quote:
I love Rentschler Field. Unfortunately I didn't go to any Colonials games. I think UFL folded? I can't remember but there's a league called the NAFL that's looking in Hartford as we speak. It's called the Connecticut Colonials. It's not just football either. Actually many teams are coming to Hartford. There's a minor league soccer team looking to relocate to Hartford and a Eastern League baseball team is coming to Hartford from neighboring New Britain. Theyre building a new $60 million dollar stadium as we speak. Should be awesome when it opens up next year.

Here's the NAFL team from the leagues website
Connecticut Colonials | NAFL
I hope this league succeeds. Always looking for an alternative to the crooked NFL.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:17 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
From that list, I have only been to Hartford several times. Hartford is a state capital and does have some nice areas although downtown Hartford isn't the best place to live.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:55 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,087,543 times
Des Moiness, Iowa
Sterile and sleepy; nice place to raise a family

Hartford, Connecticut
Generic New England city

Wichita, Kansas
Nondescript nothingness; agribusiness; ultraconservative hellhole

Toledo, Ohio
Rust Belt; mini-Detroit

Wilmington, Delaware
Banking/finance; an elusive and mysterious East Coast city one never hears about, and will never, ever visit

Manchester, New Hampshire
No idea

Fargo, North Dakota
Surprisingly nice for a small city, but dominated by depressing suburban development; still has historic elm-lined streets unaffected by Dutch Elm Disease

Old 05-10-2015, 11:59 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,522,410 times
From top to bottom (I'll try ...)

Hartford: pretty drive-by place.

Wilmington: Colonial History

Manchester: Autumn trees

Toledo: Office Park

Wichita: Koch Brothers (My uncle is a huge head for them and works there.)

Fargo: If I had things to freeze off, they would freeze off here.

Des Moines: I hate Bobby Jindal so damn much.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:02 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Des Moines is very attractive to young professional workers. I feel like it's been definitely turning into a white collar town. Kind of funny since I'd consider most of Iowa to be the complete opposite. Corn fields to farms to Corn Fields and then you hit Iowa 80 which is the Worlds Largest Truck Stop. That's what I love about Iowa. So many small and unknown roadside attractions.
Des Moines and Hartford are both major insurance hubs. Des Moines' downtown is surprisingly urban for such a small metro, and the skywalk keeps you dry and out of the elements.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:03 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Des Moines, Iowa - Insurance. Near Chicago. Intriguing urban renewal.

Hartford, Connecticut - Insurance. Escape from NYC.

Wichita, Kansas - Google.

Toledo, Ohio - Struggling midwest city.

Wilmington, Delaware - Philly. Corporate HQ.

Manchester, New Hampshire - Near Boston. No state income tax.

Fargo, North Dakota - TV show I watched as a kid. Small town, cold winters.

I've never been to any of these cities except Wilmington...I'd say either Wilmington or Des Moines would win for me.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:40 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,829 times
Quote:
Theres this one guy on Youtube who constantly posts videos about how Toledo is crumbling. He posts videos about an abandoned mall and a dead downtown area. I forget the users name. Whenever I see pictures of Toledo I think of Detroit. Both cities have had better days. People are leaving Toledo and even one of its tallest buildings is vacant.
But like other cities in Ohio, the suburbs are amazing. I have been pleasantly surprised by the outlying towns around Toledo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.