U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-09-2015, 04:49 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,236,754 times
Reputation: 2135

Advertisements

What are your first impressions / opinions of these cities?

Which city stands on top?

Des Moiness, Iowa

Hartford, Connecticut

Wichita, Kansas

Toledo, Ohio

Wilmington, Delaware

Manchester, New Hampshire

Fargo, North Dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2015, 04:54 PM
 
Location: SGV
25,007 posts, read 9,759,893 times
Reputation: 9770
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
What are your first impressions / opinions of these cities?

Which city stands on top?

Des Moiness, Iowa Corn

Hartford, Connecticut Banks

Wichita, Kansas Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

Toledo, Ohio Glass

Wilmington, Delaware Where?

Manchester, New Hampshire Where?

Fargo, North Dakota Steve Buscemi
On top? Fargo I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 PM
 
668 posts, read 703,203 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
What are your first impressions / opinions of these cities?

Which city stands on top?

Des Moiness, Iowa

Hartford, Connecticut

Wichita, Kansas

Toledo, Ohio

Wilmington, Delaware

Manchester, New Hampshire

Fargo, North Dakota

Fargo stands on top for me

I like the atmosphere and the people and the location
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,149 posts, read 14,186,834 times
Reputation: 7086
Was just in Hartford this morning for my grandpa's funeral.

Hartford has a very impressive skyline for a city of its size, as you see it from the distance while driving on various interstates or roads. But once you're in the local roads of the city, it looks like a third world country in some areas. Certain neighborhoods are quite nice, however. IMO the city has huge potential if the right leadership and investment comes along.

The only other city in your list I have been to is Wichita. It's a smaller city that has a gritty appearance to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 07:22 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,236,754 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Was just in Hartford this morning for my grandpa's funeral.

Hartford has a very impressive skyline for a city of its size, as you see it from the distance while driving on various interstates or roads. But once you're in the local roads of the city, it looks like a third world country in some areas. Certain neighborhoods are quite nice, however.

The only other city in your list I have been to is Wichita. It's a smaller city that has a gritty appearance to it.
Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Is Wichita really the only other city you've been too. It's a pretty isolated city. I see it as a blue collar city. Much of the city is in the labor force. Many people know it's an industrial hub as well as a huge contributor to the aviation world.

Manchester, NH is very underrated. Most likely because Boston is so close.

Des Moines is like the new version of Hartford but nicer haha. Well it depends on what nice means to you but the Hartford beats Des Moines on the terms of education and higher wages. I say it's like a new version of Hartford because Insurance is huge there as well.

As for Toledo...I say it has had better days. It's probably one of the most deadest downtowns I've ever been too. It's only busy unless there's a baseball game or an event.

Fargo is probably the fastest growing city on this list. North Dakota in general is booming. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think North Dakota had one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 08:12 PM
 
4 posts, read 4,501 times
Reputation: 11
I recently spent some time Des Moines, Iowa, and was generally impressed. Clean, easy to get around, and, like many state capitals, at least an attempt at cultural awareness. Nice people, too. I'm from NYC, and I love to meet people from other places around the country, if for no other reason than to get away from the NYC-centric works view that flourishes in my hometown. I love NYC, and have lived there for over 40 years; but there is an entire world beyond its city limits, much of which is remarkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 08:18 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,236,754 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDNYC View Post
I recently spent some time Des Moines, Iowa, and was generally impressed. Clean, easy to get around, and, like many state capitals, at least an attempt at cultural awareness. Nice people, too. I'm from NYC, and I love to meet people from other places around the country, if for no other reason than to get away from the NYC-centric works view that flourishes in my hometown. I love NYC, and have lived there for over 40 years; but there is an entire world beyond its city limits, much of which is remarkable.
Des Moines is very attractive to young professional workers. I feel like it's been definitely turning into a white collar town. Kind of funny since I'd consider most of Iowa to be the complete opposite. Corn fields to farms to Corn Fields and then you hit Iowa 80 which is the Worlds Largest Truck Stop. That's what I love about Iowa. So many small and unknown roadside attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 08:20 PM
 
Location: North Texas
1,743 posts, read 964,608 times
Reputation: 1568
Des Moines, Iowa
Biggest city in Iowa - but still boring?

Hartford, Connecticut
The Whalers. And I'm not even from the Northeast.

Wichita, Kansas
Tornadoes.

Toledo, Ohio
Overlooked Ohio city

Wilmington, Delaware
Biggest city in a small state

Manchester, New Hampshire
Would love to visit

Fargo, North Dakota
Cold but growing

I honestly have a hard time choosing which city I'd live in. I think my top two choices would be Manchester just because its mid-sized and I'd want to visit New Hampshire and Fargo when it's not super cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 PM
 
Location: USA
2,753 posts, read 2,236,754 times
Reputation: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Duck View Post
Des Moines, Iowa
Biggest city in Iowa - but still boring?

Hartford, Connecticut
The Whalers. And I'm not even from the Northeast.

Wichita, Kansas
Tornadoes.

Toledo, Ohio
Overlooked Ohio city

Wilmington, Delaware
Biggest city in a small state

Manchester, New Hampshire
Would love to visit

Fargo, North Dakota
Cold but growing

I honestly have a hard time choosing which city I'd live in. I think my top two choices would be Manchester just because its mid-sized and I'd want to visit New Hampshire and Fargo when it's not super cold.
I salute you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2015, 08:31 PM
 
Location: North Texas
1,743 posts, read 964,608 times
Reputation: 1568
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I salute you
Did you happen to root for the Colonials the one year they were around in the United Football League? (2009-12; Hartford played in 2010) I supported them and Sacramento. They played at Rentschler Field and got around 10-13,000 fans a game.

With all the controversy surrounding the NFL, a new alternative league needs to swoop in. Would totally root for Hartford again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top