U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 02:09 PM

21,342 posts, read 21,922,845 times

Advertisements

if you are planning on traveling to Niagra Falls from Gettysburg, you may consider driving the 2 1/2 hours to the Flt #93 Memorial in SW Pennsylvania and Fallingwater (1 hr from there) before turning north to Buffalo, NY

Flight 93 National Memorial (U.S. National Park Service)

Fallingwater | Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 02:11 PM

93 posts, read 57,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Yes, in RURAL area, with no one around, few if any cars passing its "OK". Just make sure the "Hardware" is not visible from the road.

(Two lane roads, wood/farmland etc)

Any developed area its expected you find a bathroom. Most (Like every other) exit off a hi-way will have something @ the exit, a Gas Station, Fast Food place you can stop at, there are Information (Blue) signs on the hi-way about what is @ the next exit. Its a common courtesy to give where you stop some of your business. Get Gas there, Get a soda, snack etc.
Okay, then its pretty much like Sweden. But on the off chance that a police car would go by... would they pull over and fine/arrest you if they suspected that you had stopped to pee?

Old 05-11-2015, 02:19 PM

9,130 posts, read 17,160,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
Okay, then its pretty much like Sweden. But on the off chance that a police car would go by... would they pull over and fine/arrest you if they suspected that you had stopped to pee?
If the cop is in a bad mode yes.

Most Police, might stop to make sure you are ok, and did not break down, I would go one at a time into the wood, not together.

A cop finding a empty car on side of a rural road, would make them nervous.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:22 PM

56,708 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Another place in the area to possibly check out: Artpark: Western New York's Premier Destination for Music, Theatre, Family Fun

Old 05-11-2015, 02:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,434,076 times
Quote:
Possibly, depending on what state, township, or other jurisdiction you are in, and the mood of the policeman who sees you that day. You have to be very, very, discreet and be way out of view of the road or be pretty certain that no cars will be coming down that road while you're relieving yourself. I'm not saying that people in the U.S. don't do this in rural areas, but as a visitor from out of the country, the odds of you finding yourself on one of the sparsely traveled side roads where you could get away with this are probably slim. Definitely DON'T try it along any of our interstate highways, as they are major roads with high visibility.

Bottom line: save yourself some potential grief and wait for a restroom. Most of our interstate highways have designated rest stops every so many miles that offer food and restrooms. I would utilize them if I was you. What a major pain to get fined for indecent exposure in a foreign country.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:34 PM

Another btw,

If you are under 25, the rental cars will surcharge for as being a young driver, Also depending on the rental company, they may charge for a 2nd driver.

Crash (collision) Insurance does NOT come with the car, the Car Rental Companies charge extra for it 10-20$ a day.

If you have American Express , you might want to check to see if you can get there $20/trip collision rental coverage.

When you pick up the car, take pictures of the from every angle, Also take pictures when you drop it off.

Walk around the car in good light, the rental agent will give you a form to mark the pre-existing damage on the Car, Mark everything even if the rental car agent said its "To" small to mark.

Gas, You want to select the "I'll Return the Car Full" option, Stop before you return the car and top off the tank, it will save you $'s

Old 05-11-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Possibly, depending on what state, township, or other jurisdiction you are in, and the mood of the policeman who sees you that day. You have to be very, very, discreet and be way out of view of the road or be pretty certain that no cars will be coming down that road while you're relieving yourself. I'm not saying that people in the U.S. don't do this in rural areas, but as a visitor from out of the country, the odds of you finding yourself on one of the sparsely traveled side roads where you could get away with this are probably slim. Definitely DON'T try it along any of our interstate highways, as they are major roads with high visibility.

Bottom line: save yourself some potential grief and wait for a restroom. Most of our interstate highways have designated rest stops every so many miles that offer food and restrooms. I would utilize them if I was you. What a major pain to get fined for indecent exposure in a foreign country.
We defenitley wouldn't do this on a big multi lane motorway, nobody would stop to pee on the side of a big motorway in Sweden either. Here you can't stop on motorways, there are no side parking spots... only a "shoulder", and its illegal to stop there unless your car breaks down... I expect it to be the same in the US.

I would prefer going on rural roads instead of motorways when possible in the US, I don't like lots of traffic and I think maybe you see more of things.

Old 05-11-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Another btw,

If you are under 25, the rental cars will surcharge for as being a young driver, Also depending on the rental company, they may charge for a 2nd driver.

Crash (collision) Insurance does NOT come with the car, the Car Rental Companies charge extra for it 10-20$ a day.

If you have American Express , you might want to check to see if you can get there $20/trip collision rental coverage.

When you pick up the car, take pictures of the from every angle, Also take pictures when you drop it off.

Walk around the car in good light, the rental agent will give you a form to mark the pre-existing damage on the Car, Mark everything even if the rental car agent said its "To" small to mark.

Gas, You want to select the "I'll Return the Car Full" option, Stop before you return the car and top off the tank, it will save you $'s
I am 21, my brother is 30. He'll be renting the car and be the driver.

Is the "Crash (collision) Insurance" the same as Loss damage waiver? We are gonna book the car this week... and when checking cars at for example Budget Car rental. It says that "loss damage waiver" and "supplemental liability insurance" is included. But I'm not sure if that covers crashes.

Thank you for the advice about taking pictures of the car.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 PM

Loss Damage Waiver, Covers crash deductible (Crash) , supplemental liability insurance Covers you (him) of you get sued if you hurt, damage other things.

Unless you are on a Corporate Type Car Rental, "loss damage waiver" and "supplemental liability insurance" are not normally included in a car rental. It's a Add on (A very profitable one for the car rental company).

I would also suggest your brother get a International Drivers Licence. (It not really a licence, but a translation of your countries licence into like 12 different languages). He will need a credit card, with credit limit of hundreds of dollars more then the estimated rental cost, (They will put a hold on his account for that amount). You will also need it when you check into hotels.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,525,539 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the replys.

Another thing that I have wondered about is when driving on "country roads" (highways?) and you need to pee, can you just stop at the side of the road and relieve yourself behind some trees? In sweden, people do this all the time even though its illegal here but aslong as its in the "country" and nobody sees you, its okay. Is it like this in the US?

I know that in England, this is very much frowned upon and most people drive until they see a rest stop/restaurant or whatever to find a bathroom. But I think in the US theres much more wilderness, towns are further apart... you cant always hold yourself for that long.
You won't be staying in/driving through many rural areas at all with your itinerary. There will be rest stops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or