U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 06:30 PM

9,126 posts, read 17,137,876 times

Advertisements

Also you may not be able to the take a rental car into Canada, So if you plan to do the falls, you would need to do them from the US side, or park on the US side and take bus over to Canada. (Check visa requirements for going into Canada).

Many of the US Hi-Ways / bridges/tunnels are toll roads,

Most of them use electric toll collection devices. E-Z pass is the one used in the NorthEast US. (Budget = 3.95/day up to $17 for month, Other rental car companies have different amounts ).

Most rental car also have E-Zpass'es in them but they charge a daily administrative fee + tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:37 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,138,498 times
You seem like a very intelligent and extremely considerate young man. You will do just fine in your travels. Apply the common sense you seem to have and enjoy yourself. My very best wishes to you and your brother on a fun, safe and unforgettable trip to North America!

Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
...and remember to take a litter bag along with you in the car, it doesn't take up much room and if it gets full you can always just toss it out the window

Old 05-12-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
...and remember to take a litter bag along with you in the car, it doesn't take up much room and if it gets full you can always just toss it out the window
He's Kidding Don't do that ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OHG7tHrNM

Old 05-12-2015, 07:36 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,307,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I can't believe you just suggested to toss trash out onto the highway.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:27 PM

93 posts, read 57,156 times
I got another question.

We are gonna book hotels soon, but our plan is to only book the first night(in asbury park) and the last 5 nights that we intend to spend in New York. Everything between that we intend to basicly check in on short notice, for example when are in Asbury Park we'll start looking at hotels in Atlantic City and check in on the same day as we book it.

Is it possible to find hotels this way on short notice in the cities we intend to visit? Or does one need to book in advance to get a room?

We want to be able to change plans if neccesery while we are there, thats why we dont want to book everything in advance. It becomes such a rigid plan that way with no room for spontaneus adventures.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:41 PM

12,657 posts, read 10,501,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindstealer View Post
I got another question.

We are gonna book hotels soon, but our plan is to only book the first night(in asbury park) and the last 5 nights that we intend to spend in New York. Everything between that we intend to basicly check in on short notice, for example when are in Asbury Park we'll start looking at hotels in Atlantic City and check in on the same day as we book it.

Is it possible to find hotels this way on short notice in the cities we intend to visit? Or does one need to book in advance to get a room?

We want to be able to change plans if neccesery while we are there, thats why we dont want to book everything in advance. It becomes such a rigid plan that way with no room for spontaneus adventures.
I imagine it'd be difficult getting rooms in AC in the summer. Not impossible, but you're not going in the off-season. If for some reason you can't find a room in AC (doubtful but you never know), you can always go inland a bit (other side of the barrier island) to look for a hotel, a short drive away from the actual city. It would be cheaper, too. Summer Jersey Shore destinations are usually pretty booked, even down to rentals.

I understand your concern, though, of not wanting to have the trip too rigidly planned, but at the least you should know when you're going where in advance - at least a rough estimate. It will just be easier that way. Less spontaneous, sure, but you can have spontaneity in that you arrive in DC, for example, with no plans other than how many days you're staying and where you're staying. I think it would be more responsible to have places set up in advance, but that's just me. Like I said, there will always be a hotel somewhere, if not right in the city you want to stay in or not the nicest hotel, but it's not like you will be stuck with nowhere to sleep so don't worry too much about it.

Also, it depends on how short the notice is. If you're planning on leaving Asbury Park for AC tomorrow, let's say, and call the Borgata today asking what rooms are available starting tomorrow for the next week, it may be more difficult on short notice. If you call the Borgata a week before you're going to leave Asbury and ask them what's available for the following week, I imagine that extra time will give the hotel more leeway.

Old 05-13-2015, 12:16 AM

6,954 posts, read 9,049,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Also you may not be able to the take a rental car into Canada
not really true. Most rental companies allow you to go to Canada. Just ask before renting.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:08 AM

21,319 posts, read 21,886,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I can't believe you just suggested to toss trash out onto the highway.
it wasn't me, I was just repeating what I heard on a documentary

https://youtu.be/a-FDvLixYak?t=54s

Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 AM

For NYC, I would return the car before you go to the city, Will save you 5 days car rental, and the cost of parking in NYC (Very expensive).

What Airport are your flying into/out of?

For DC I would suggest you stay out side of DC and take the Metro (Subway) in. You can get a hotel near/next to the Metro, with Free/Cheap parking.
Metro - Home page

If you are going to Atlantic City during weekdays, you should be able to get a hotel room, Friday Nights - Monday they tend to be full.

I Suggest you book hotel one day in advance (outside of AP/DC/NYC) give you a aim point, for your next day. What you don't want to find out when you pull into a town/city is there is some sort of event and all the hotel are full, and have to drive another hour to find a hotel.

Get a "Burner" phone (Cheap US Phone), International call charge back can be costly on your EU phone in the US (If it works @ all). You can get cheap phone at places like Walmart, Drugstore, most supermarkets. (Just don't get it @ the airport, get on your way to AP).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or