U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best state for a young couple?
Colorado 4 13.79%
Texas 4 13.79%
California 4 13.79%
Oregon 3 10.34%
Chicago 6 20.69%
Washington 5 17.24%
Other? Please mention it below. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 09:26 PM

10 posts, read 9,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Atlanta
What do you like about it?

On our way to Texas we had a layover for a couple of hours, not long enough to leave the airport. Though it looked nice from the air
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,529,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu42 View Post
What do you like about it?

On our way to Texas we had a layover for a couple of hours, not long enough to leave the airport. Though it looked nice from the air
You should inquire in the Atlanta forum. There are a ton of Florida transplants here (including myself), and many love it.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would look to Durham NC as an option. It has four moderate seasons, a booming economy with well-paying jobs, little traffic congestion, an affordable cost of living which has it among the top few cities with most disposable income after housing costs, plenty of safe neighborhoods and a thriving nationally-recognized food scene.

Durham gets more love from Bon Appetit, The New York Times | News & Observer News & Observer
Things to Do | Durham, NC

Which neighborhoods would you recommend? We would be happy with an apartment with amenities (gym, pool) or a nice single family home in a good area.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:15 PM

5,944 posts, read 2,765,309 times
Quote:
Hello!

My fiancé and I are looking to relocate in August as we have grown frustrated with the high cost of living and poor transportation in Miami. We are young (24 & 25) professionals, in health and programming fields respectively, who have lived in Miami our entire lives.

We are looking to move somewhere with either a tropical climate or 4 seasons. Our main concerns are finding a safe and welcoming neighborhood, in an area with little traffic (generally under a 30 minute commute), access to parks or large bodies of water, and a bustling nightlife (music and food, no interest in clubs). We do not plan on having children for at least the next 5 years and will likely be moving annually to travel the U.S. thanks to the flexibility of our jobs.

We would be looking to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for under $1,500 per month.

We recently took a trip to Dallas, and, while food options were absolutely terrific and the housing was decent, we were very disappointed with the sprawl and lack of scenery. Driving was also a bit tedious, though not as bad in comparison to Miami.

We are considering Colorado, Texas, California, Oregon, Chicago, and some others. But we can't afford to visit each one before moving so are looking to the fine folks on this forum to offer us their advice.

Thank you so much for your time and insight, we sincerely appreciate it.

- Heidi
I think you both need to "hone" in on your wants because it sounds scatter brained right now. You want to move somewhere with either a tropical climate or 4 seasons?
Which is it? You already live in Miami so how much more "tropical" can it get?

Old 05-14-2015, 06:38 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,728,504 times
Quote:
Nope, Florida and Texas pay no state income tax.

I appreciate the insight into Seattle. I'm just concerned it would be a more expensive version of Miami, and that's definitely what we're trying to avoid. I'll look into Tacoma.

Portland, Oregon is well known for being a hipster mecca. It may be nice to live there a while, but not our first choice.
If you really want to live in the Pacific Northwest I would suggest immigrating to British Columbia. Otherwise it's not worth it!

Old 05-14-2015, 06:43 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,884,500 times
Definitely Atlanta and only an hour and a half from Miami.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I think you both need to "hone" in on your wants because it sounds scatter brained right now. You want to move somewhere with either a tropical climate or 4 seasons?
Which is it? You already live in Miami so how much more "tropical" can it get?
I think we've been pretty clear about what we're looking for. We want to leave Miami, but are open to 4 seasons or similar weather to Florida. I know many people are put off by hot and humid months just as others aren't fond of intense winters. I merely stated we would be okay with either and are not discounting them as options.

Tl;dr: I love The weather in Miami. I would like to try a state with 4 traditional seasons, either option works.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:33 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,212,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
Chicago is not a state.
Might want to clarify that in your poll.
Chicago native here. The running joke here is that we all call it "the state of Chicago" because the politics are completely different in Chicago vs the rest of the state. So the OP isn't far off.

Blu42, I think it's great that you're doing research into other areas. If you're looking for a lower cost of living though, Chicago isn't it. The high costs here are precisely why we're leaving. It's a great city to visit, but more of your money goes "poof", which means you'll have a longer career to live here.

For example, in the near suburbs (within an hour's drive of Chicago), if you want to live in an area with good schools and low crime, expect to pay $400k for a 4BR 2000sq ft home, with $12k/yr taxes. Sales tax is almost 10% in Chicago too. Income tax is 3.75%. If you want to live in the city, that's condo life, so forget having a yard, and finding parking is a nightmare for your guests, and expensive for you. The incomes here don't keep pace with the high housing costs.

Now take a look at a place like Ft Worth or Plano, Texas (where we're targeting). You can get a 4BR 3000sq ft place for $250k, and $5k/yr property taxes. No state income taxes either. So you can get a larger home for almost half the cost.

You also mentioned weather. The weather is more mild here compared to other areas in the country, but sometimes there are spikes. For example:
Winter: Each year it seems like we get 12" of snow dumped on us in a day, other days we might see 3-6", but there aren't more than 10 or so active snowing days in a winter. Infrastructure is not bad in handling it, but school closures happen from snow sometimes. Wind chill can be extreme, the temperature could be 0, but wind chill turns that into -10 or -15 degrees F.
Summer: Summers aren't extreme (mid 80's for highs), but we see heat waves/spikes with high humidity. It's just miserable on those days, but that usually passes in a few days or a week.
Fall: gorgeous, trees turn colors, nice brisk weather
Spring: nice mild weather, it's nice to see the explosions of color as greenery start flowering

Hope this helps!

Old 05-15-2015, 07:35 PM

11,861 posts, read 26,852,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would look to Durham NC as an option. It has four moderate seasons, a booming economy with well-paying jobs, little traffic congestion, an affordable cost of living which has it among the top few cities with most disposable income after housing costs, plenty of safe neighborhoods and a thriving nationally-recognized food scene.

Durham gets more love from Bon Appetit, The New York Times | News & Observer News & Observer
Things to Do | Durham, NC
I agree with Kyle, this is a good option. My first thought was Colorado though.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post

You also mentioned weather. The weather is more mild here compared to other areas in the country, but sometimes there are spikes. For example:
Winter: Each year it seems like we get 12" of snow dumped on us in a day, other days we might see 3-6", but there aren't more than 10 or so active snowing days in a winter. Infrastructure is not bad in handling it, but school closures happen from snow sometimes. Wind chill can be extreme, the temperature could be 0, but wind chill turns that into -10 or -15 degrees F.
Summer: Summers aren't extreme (mid 80's for highs), but we see heat waves/spikes with high humidity. It's just miserable on those days, but that usually passes in a few days or a week.
Fall: gorgeous, trees turn colors, nice brisk weather
Spring: nice mild weather, it's nice to see the explosions of color as greenery start flowering

Hope this helps!
Thanks for this!

I have been warned against the frigid winters Chicago is prone to. As for cost of living, do you happen to know if the rental market shows a similar spike? I ask because we will only be living there for 1 year, then moving elsewhere. We are trying to save money so the ideal situation would be about $1,100 for 800 sqft or so, but we can be flexible.

So far the poll is showing Chicago as the top choice.

Our list is

Raleigh or Durham, North Carolina
Austin or San Antonio, Texas
Atlanta, Georgia
Denver, Colorado
Someone mentioned New Orleans, anyone care to share their experience?

California seems too expensive, and no one has really provided a recommendation.
Not much of a push for Washington, and it is more expensive than Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or