Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best state for a young couple?
Colorado 4 13.79%
Texas 4 13.79%
California 4 13.79%
Oregon 3 10.34%
Chicago 6 20.69%
Washington 5 17.24%
Other? Please mention it below. 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:51 PM

10 posts, read 13,346 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My fiancé and I are looking to relocate in August as we have grown frustrated with the high cost of living and poor transportation in Miami. We are young (24 & 25) professionals, in health and programming fields respectively, who have lived in Miami our entire lives.

We are looking to move somewhere with either a tropical climate or 4 seasons. Our main concerns are finding a safe and welcoming neighborhood, in an area with little traffic (generally under a 30 minute commute), access to parks or large bodies of water, and a bustling nightlife (music and food, no interest in clubs). We do not plan on having children for at least the next 5 years and will likely be moving annually to travel the U.S. thanks to the flexibility of our jobs.

We would be looking to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment for under $1,500 per month.

We recently took a trip to Dallas, and, while food options were absolutely terrific and the housing was decent, we were very disappointed with the sprawl and lack of scenery. Driving was also a bit tedious, though not as bad in comparison to Miami.

We are considering Colorado, Texas, California, Oregon, Chicago, and some others. But we can't afford to visit each one before moving so are looking to the fine folks on this forum to offer us their advice.

Thank you so much for your time and insight, we sincerely appreciate it.

- Heidi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 02:53 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,309,672 times
I don't think Texas is a great option for you. Though some parts are fairly affordable, there are some area's getting quite expensive. The heat in Texas can be unbearable but since you're from Miami, you should be used to it. If 4 seasons is important to you i wouldn't recommend Texas. There are so many great choices so its difficult to choose the right one. I would recommend you looking into the Seattle area and Portland area. The Northwest has a decent mix of 4 seasons and if you're in Seattle you are really close to the water. If you love the outdoors then the Northwest is for you. Many great mountain ranges and hiking trails. It will a very different lifestyle than living in Miami though. Transportation in Seattle is quite impressive. There are plans to make it even better by adding more stations and stops. It is both served by King County Metro Transit and Sound Transit. Both have good amounts of nightlife and traffic isn't too bad. The population is booming in parts of Washington right now and unfortunately when you get more people you get more cars. Colorado is a great choice as well but you aren't close to bodies of water like Seattle or Portland.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:58 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I would look to Durham NC as an option. It has four moderate seasons, a booming economy with well-paying jobs, little traffic congestion, an affordable cost of living which has it among the top few cities with most disposable income after housing costs, plenty of safe neighborhoods and a thriving nationally-recognized food scene.

Durham gets more love from Bon Appetit, The New York Times | News & Observer News & Observer
Things to Do | Durham, NC

Old 05-12-2015, 08:28 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
IMO Chicago is a good bang for your buck, just learn the dangerous areas and avoid them! Extremely affordable for a city its size. Winters there are supposed to be pretty brutal but the weather is good for most of the year. Fairly mild summers etc.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Seattle
Hadn't considered Seattle, first impressions are lots of rain, high cost of living and heavy traffic. Then again you listed several pros, so we'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:23 AM

It might also help to mention that we have two vehicles, and our preferred mode of transportation is biking or walking. I'm not too keen on the idea of public transportation... bad experiences in Miami, though not entirely opposed to it.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu42 View Post
Hadn't considered Seattle, first impressions are lots of rain, high cost of living and heavy traffic. Then again you listed several pros, so we'll definitely look into it. Thanks for the tip!
I believe Seattle's cost of living is slightly higher than Miami. I don't think Utilities will cost more but housing will definitely be much higher. Its roughly 25%-30% more in Seattle than Miami. That's a con. I know for a fact there are more pro's than con's. Yes traffic is getting heavier but would you be interested in living downtown? Many great apartments start at $1,300 to $1,400 then can range upwards to $4,000. I know that Downtown Seattle abolished its parking minimum standards in order to implement a 1 space per 1,000 square feet of non-residential development. When i visited Seattle a few years ago i noticed that they motivate large development programs that include parking cash out and shared parking. Believe that Seattle is one of the most pedestrian friendly cities in the country. Austin as well if you're looking into Texas. I know you mentioned that Seattle is expensive but you get alot for your buck. A good way to look at it is that it has no state income tax. Not many states can say that. I think Florida does? Right. If you do move to Illinois and Texas then prepare to pay state income tax. It can take a bit out of your paycheck. In Washington, the sales tax is reasonable but that is not applicable on groceries and house purchases are also not burdened with heavy taxes. If you're going to have kids then remember that Seattle has a great history of graduating rates. It is an educated city that has lots of creative individuals. If Seattle seems too much for you then remember Tacoma is just south of Seattle and is a little cheaper. Housing prices are much lower. If you're still not interested at Washington then look into Oregon. Thought Portland's cost of living is pretty much that same as Seattle. If neither interest you then look into Colorado. It's a beautiful state with many great outdoor activities but you arent near many bodies of water. Cost of living in the Denver area is the same as Miami's.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:33 PM

Nope, Florida and Texas pay no state income tax.

I appreciate the insight into Seattle. I'm just concerned it would be a more expensive version of Miami, and that's definitely what we're trying to avoid. I'll look into Tacoma.

Portland, Oregon is well known for being a hipster mecca. It may be nice to live there a while, but not our first choice.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu42 View Post
Nope, Florida and Texas pay no state income tax.

I appreciate the insight into Seattle. I'm just concerned it would be a more expensive version of Miami, and that's definitely what we're trying to avoid. I'll look into Tacoma.

Portland, Oregon is well known for being a hipster mecca. It may be nice to live there a while, but not our first choice.
No problem. Look into Tacoma and maybe Everett.

Texas has no state income tax? Didn't know that. Guess I learned something today.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.