Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the Bay Area have a sense of identity and place that exceeds all other metro areas?
yes 5 11.63%
no (can you name area that equals or exceeds it) 38 88.37%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:35 PM

37,796 posts, read 41,526,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I can't think of any metro area people refer to as its entirty, not core and periphery, as the Bay Area.
The Hampton Roads area of Virginia fits the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 08:13 PM

156 posts, read 243,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
DFW has 3 pretty major cities.

Dallas, Ft. Worth, Arlington
DFW = Dallas-Fort Worth. That's 2 major cities.

Arlington is just a giant suburb located between the two major cities.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:21 AM

31,897 posts, read 34,410,920 times
I can see where the OP's POV. Let's look at a couple of bars from Chris Brown's classic "These **** ain't loyal".

I met a white girl wit some fake *******
I took her to Da Bay wit me

Or this album.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG...er=allrovi.com

Old 05-14-2015, 10:13 AM

5,425 posts, read 5,654,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I can see where the OP's POV. Let's look at a couple of bars from Chris Brown's classic "These **** ain't loyal".

I met a white girl wit some fake *******
I took her to Da Bay wit me
What does this prove? A lot of major metro areas are not named after their primary city, e.g. LA metro is called the SoCal region or NYC metro is Tri-state region. You never heard of people refer to "Southern California" before?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM

18,967 posts, read 32,441,921 times
South Florida as well.

Doesn't the Tampa/St Pete also call itself the "Bay Area"?

Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,583,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
).

I agree with you about LA's complexity, but I think there is a definite overlap in how people see the LA Area with the way they see Metro NY (Tri-State) and Chicagoland…..they come across in people's minds as still being (respectively) LA & its suburbs, NY & its suburbs, & Chgo & its suburbs. The Bay Area projects more of an image unto its own, comes across more as a place than as a city and its hinterlands.

Even in metro areas with more than one major city, they still come across as (in the case of the Twin Cities) Minneapolis, St. Paul and their suburbs or (in the case of the Metroplex) Dallas, Ft. Worth, and their suburbs. I don't see the Bay Area that way and, as I stated elsewhere, never heard the term "San Francisco suburb" or "suburban San Francisco."
I don't know if you've spent enough time in the LA area, but as RudyOD can probably tell you (he's the OC Native, I'm not) most of "suburban LA" actually identifies very little of themselves with LA. There's a reason why it was so controversial for the Anaheim/California/Whatever Angels renamed themselves to the "Los Angeles Angels", and why Dodger fans took offense to that but also Angels fans. Orange County honestly has a really hostile relationship with LA County.

Inland Empire, less so, but due to the immense distance between the city of LA (not LA County, but the city) and the IE, they're kind of their own thing. Even more so than OC, the IE was made up of towns that were relatively independent from LA before the advent of suburbia.

I know what you're talking about when it comes to the Bay Area, but in the real world, San Francisco is still "the city". I know a lot of City Data posters are going to get offended when I say that (for whatever reason, I don't know. People are sensitive on here), but for better or for worse, "the City" in Bay Area parlance is San Francisco. When I lived out in New York, the "city' was universally understood as Manhattan if you were from the outer boroughs, and NYC in general if you were from LI/NNJ/CT/Westchester.

Here in SoCal, there is no real moniker like that. LA in most of SoCal really refers to "Central LA". Westside is just the Westside, the Valley is the Valley, South Central is South Central, etc. There's no "the city".

Old 05-14-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
What does this prove? A lot of major metro areas are not named after their primary city, e.g. LA metro is called the SoCal region or NYC metro is Tri-state region. You never heard of people refer to "Southern California" before?
Well, I don't think Chris Brown would say "I took her to the Tri-State with me." And I don't think there's a "Best of the Tri-State" compilation album either.

I can see where the OP is coming from to an extent. On the East Coast, the people from the Bay Area will usually just respond "the Bay" when asked where they're from. That's usually the response I've gotten out West as well. At that point, I just nod and say "okay," but sometimes I ask for more specifics, and then I find out they're from San Jose, Richmond, etc.

If someone from North Jersey goes out West and says they're from the Tri-State, I'm not sure if many people would know what that meant. There's not even much of a Tri-State identity here. The outer areas of the NYC region are subordinate to New York City to a much greater degree than Oakland and San Jose are to San Francisco imo.

Old 05-14-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
When I hear "SoCal" I don't necessarily think of just Los Angeles and its environs. I think of an area that's mostly defined by images of Los Angeles but I also think of San Diego. For me, conceptually, it's just the part of the state that's not NorCal. Most of my friends from the LA area will just say they're from "LA" even if they're from Watts, Glendale, or Cerritos. I've never lived in Southern California so I can speak on whether there's some sense of regional pride that ranges from the Valley to the California-Nevada border.

In Philly, there's no real sense of regional identity, imo. Sure, the city is located in the Delaware Valley, but I would never claim that as my place of origin. I would simply say "Philly" and I suspect a lot of people from the PA suburbs would say the same thing. Philadelphians tend to be dismissive of people not from the city anyway (like the guy in the video below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xma1eagUnXo

Old 05-14-2015, 12:48 PM

18,967 posts, read 32,441,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I can see where the OP is coming from to an extent. On the East Coast, the people from the Bay Area will usually just respond "the Bay" when asked where they're from.
And people know what they're referring to? That just seems kind of obnoxious and presumptuous to me.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
And people know what they're referring to? That just seems kind of obnoxious and presumptuous to me.
Yeah. I don't think it's obnoxious or presumptuous. There was a fairly popular song called "From L.A. to Da Bay." I don't see it as being any more presumptuous than someone telling me they are from the CHI or the "D" (That's Detroit, not Denver).

Even 2,500 miles away, I think most people have different mental images of San Francisco and Oakland. I think of San Francisco as being yuppie and white collar and Oakland as being more working-class and diverse. When I hear "Oakland," I think of hyphy, Oakland As fitted caps, diehard Raiders fans and trees for some reason. This is totally different from Dallas-Ft. Worth where the former completely dominates the public's perception of the region as a whole. I can't tell you much about FW beyond saying it's close to Dallas.

Even though San Francisco is the Alpha in the Bay Area, my mind doesn't automatically default to images of cable cars and the Golden Gate Bridge when someone says "Da Bay." It seems that Oakland has more cultural weight in its respective region than, say, Newark or St. Pete in the Tampa metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.