U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 528 times

Advertisements

I am 26 and currently living in Indiana... why??? I came back for family/friends. I was living in the lower part of Missouri down around the Ozarks. I miss it. A LOT! Absolutely beautiful there if you did not know.

I have been trying to do some research on places that might interest me....I am no where ready to be making moves but I have been thinking about it often. I have found even near friends and such the winters and lack of outdoor activities is depressing. However it turns out the US is pretty dang big and everybody's state is the best state!! So I could really use some advice and some opinions to help me get a good start.

Here is what I think I am after. Of course all the good stuff about low cost of living, rent, taxes so on. I am not a huge social butterfly so night life isn't important but nice friendly people however are. I would like a place where people are open minded and relaxed. Where living off the earth and loving it back is important. I am a frugal person who doesn't need much, so I don't need to be surrounded by it.

As for the exterior of my dream home.... I am looking for a place that is more green then desert, less wet then dry. I hate the snow and cold. I'm getting to know rain, shes okay I guess? The warmer the weather the better for me. The longer the sun is up the better!

Here is where I am having the hardest time. Finding a place that is huge into outdoor activities. Has the most parks, trails, rivers and so on. I love to go "floating" as I have always called it, but recently heard its really pronounced "canoeing" I enjoy hiking, on trails of any sort. Camping is a must. Being able to see historical type things when on these journeys would be a nice additive. Being able to jump in the car and do any of these with ease would be ideal.

When I look at the map I tend to gravitate towards the West. My family is in Missouri and Indiana and so I would rather not go 20+ hours away. If this helps any??? My dream is to end up on a sort of small self sustained hobby farm if you will. I love animals and gardening. (((which by the way I have some kittys, lizard and a dog)))

Thank you so much in advance for the help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:32 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,059 times
I'd suggest the west, especially considering you're a sun lover. However, the issue you'll have with most of the interior west is your love of all things "green". Not much of that out here. We have periods in some seasons where spring rains can green things up and appear "lush" for a few months, but it's relative. Most of the green you'll experience out here will be in the cities where, unfortunately, folks have planted lawns, trees and other vegetation that have no place being grown in this climate due to our limited rainfall and water supply. It can be cool and rather green up in the foothills and mountains, especially in the spring. But not Midwest or Eastern lush. Snowfall will vary across the area depending upon location and elevation.

For the best of both worlds, you may want to consider Southern California. It's sunny, low humidity, fairly green (again relative) for a desert environment, and folks are very much into outdoor activities.

Good luck!

Last edited by Kar54; 05-14-2015 at 10:40 AM..

Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM

8,452 posts, read 11,424,886 times
So why not go back to Missouri???

Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Your criteria speaks heavily toward North Carolina in my opinion, in particular Durham/Chapel Hill/Hillsborough or Winston Salem/Greensboro/Elon a bit further to the west. The weather is textbook four season (three months of each season) minus the crippling winters with lots of snow/ice. It's a very green/lush area with tons of outdoor recreational activities like hiking, canoeing, camping and more. The area is quite affordable generally speaking, progressive/open-minded and friendly. Highly recommended, I lived there for several years and loved it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or