Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:31 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,495,492 times

Advertisements

Also keep in mind COSTS. Most "punks, hippies, weirdos, drag queens" can no longer afford Manhattan, where this once existed, so they moved over to Brooklyn. Once trusties and so on found out about how "hip" Brooklyn was, the odyssey made its way to Queens, other boroughs and elsewhere in the world. This is not a static deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:32 PM

43 posts, read 52,833 times
Oakland.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:03 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,319,994 times
Most people have to go to work during the day, and don't have time to flaunt around such identities. You will, however, see such people at night time in cities like SF, Seattle, Portland, etc. But if you're looking for a 24/7 circus, I don't know any city that has a plethora of that. The closest thing to it would be all the trustafarian hipster kids in Portland, but the extent of creativity with these folks doesn't go far beyond smoking pot and playing the drums all day while their parents pay rent. Not really interesting once you see past their flashy appearances.

And you can still find some homeless hippies lounging around at Golden Gate Park. The Haight-Ashbury has become really mainstream through the years, but there may still be the promising "weirdos" somewhere in there. As for drag queens, I think the Castro or Tenderloin would give you that.

What most West Coast cities should really be known for, more than anything, are their homeless people.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,495,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Most people have to go to work during the day, and don't have time to flaunt around such identities.
Nah, most of these people work at restaurants and bars, if they have jobs.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:09 PM

104 posts, read 126,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippianInMemphis View Post
Darling I'm from Greenville Mississippi and I live in Memphis I think I can handle LA politics. As for the other poster I know the SF is a real city it just isn't anything like how the media portrays it. It kind of felt like Midtown Manhattan with pretty buildings.
Where did you go in SF? Lower Haight (not Haight-Ashbury, which is a different, more touristy neighborhood) seems like it might sort of fit what you're looking for. Sections of the Mission District and Portrero Hill, as well.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:06 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,930,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
The hippie movement was five decades ago. It's baffling why people think SF will always retain a hippie counter-culture crowd half a century later. SF is not an amusement park; it's a city with people living, working, and ever changing. At this point, SF's identity is more in line with it's businessmen and tech firms than it ever was with the hippies or punks.
Honestly it's hard to think of a more straight laced and money-centric place than San Francisco in the 2010s.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,319,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
Most people have to go to work during the day, and don't have time to flaunt around such identities. You will, however, see such people at night time in cities like SF, Seattle, Portland, etc. But if you're looking for a 24/7 circus, I don't know any city that has a plethora of that. The closest thing to it would be all the trustafarian hipster kids in Portland, but the extent of creativity with these folks doesn't go far beyond smoking pot and playing the drums all day while their parents pay rent. Not really interesting once you see past their flashy appearances.

And you can still find some homeless hippies lounging around at Golden Gate Park. The Haight-Ashbury has become really mainstream through the years, but there may still be the promising "weirdos" somewhere in there. As for drag queens, I think the Castro or Tenderloin would give you that.

What most West Coast cities should really be known for, more than anything, are their homeless people.
I just moved from Portland and the only people I saw who looked like that were kids who played to unsuspecting tourists just because they thought it was fun to get their money. I was approached for money by one kid who, if you looked closely, had clothes with a lot better labels than mine. But I suppose he could have stolen them.

Friends tell me SFO is pretty much the same and when I've been to Seattle I've seen similar things although there are real street people there.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:11 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,020,678 times
Hands down Austin. No other city outside Cali comes close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.