U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:15 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,051,738 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

First off, my wife is a writer, so we have a lot of leeway as far as where we live. Currently, we are in Mobile, AL. We were both born and raised in the south (Memphis, TN and Winston Salem, NC), and we are ready to leave and begin a new chapter in our lives. My wife and I are looking hard at New England, and need some help. We have been to Boston, but nowhere else in NE really. We went in the fall and attended several festivals in the area, and did some leaf peeping, and loved the area. Unfortunately, Boston is a little too expensive/crowded for our taste. We did really enjoy our time there, and cold does not bother us.

With a 3 year old child, we really want to move somewhere that has a more small town, but not boring, feel. We feel that the northeast would be a better place for us to raise him. We don't like the religion/political environment here in the south. We want the typical things, such as safe, good schools, decent home prices, etc. We would also love to find a city that has some sort of defined center. If the city is walkable/bike able that's a plus. We would also love an artsy city, and a city that has some character and pride. The history of the area is really what is drawing me to the area. I am very interested in the history of the colonial/revolution time period. For my wife, it is the chance to write a series that takes place up north, and have first hand experience to do it. The cheaper we can get these things, or a lot of these things, the better. We would like to spend less on a home, and have more to do other things with.

We are looking at anywhere from the Maryland line north. Again, we are not afraid of snow or cold weather, in fact we quite enjoy it. I have some issues down here with the humidity during the summer, so the cooler summers would be great. Our favorite time of the year is the time between September 1st-December 31st. We love all of the fall festivals and activities, as well as the holiday season. Who wouldn't want to be in the NE for the holidays?

So, what could possibly be a good place for us? Need any other info, just let me know! Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 10:31 AM

56,790 posts, read 81,149,048 times
Just to throw it out there, but Saratoga County in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro in Upstate NY could work. There are some historic battles that occurred there and Saratoga Springs is a smaller community with a lot going on for its size. It still has a higher COL than those Southern locations, but not on the level of the Bos-Wash corridor portion of the Northeast. Saratoga County has been the fastest growing county in NY State in recent years as well and it fits a lot of what you are looking for.

Nearby Glens Falls in Warren County may also work and it isn't too far from Fort Ticonderoga in Ticonderoga or Lake George either.

Sackets Harbor and Oswego, both on Lake Ontario had Revolutionary War and/or War of 1812 battles as well. Plattsburgh on Lake Champlain has a War of 1812 museum due to a battle taking place there and it is across the lake from Burlington VT and about an hour south of Montreal. There's also Fort Stanwix in Rome and the Oriskany Battlefield Site near Oriskany in the Utica-Rome metro.

All of these locations are in NY State and there are likely locations in PA or the western portion of the New England region of the Northeast that would fit the criteria, while having an overall COL around the national average.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-13-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-13-2015, 11:31 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,156,117 times
If you wish to stay within New England, I would look into the Providence, RI or New Haven, CT areas. These areas are much more affordable than the Boston area, and much more laid back, with less traffic and stress. The Hartford, CT area is nice too, but the city of Hartford is not really nice to walk around in. If you want an even less populated area, try Portland, Maine or Manchester, NH.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:31 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,551,901 times
I just spent time in a fabulous little town in Maryland called Chestertown, on the bay. I loved it!! So quaint and charming, real small-town feel, but culture too. It made a hugely positive impression on me. And ~ only two hours away from Philly, DC, NYC Baltimore, etc . . .
I have also lived in PA and VT too, where there are towns that would meet your criteria, too, its just those areas, 'specially VT, are so dark and grim for too much of the year for me personally. Expensive, too

Old 05-15-2015, 09:37 AM

3,458 posts, read 4,017,628 times
Do you have any idea of what your housing budget would look like?

Places like Northampton, MA; Gloucester, MA; Newburyport, MA; Portsmouth, NH; Salem, MA; Portland, ME come to mind.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 PM

3,333 posts, read 8,794,604 times
Burlington, VT. Saratoga Springs, NY.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:54 PM

5,314 posts, read 3,530,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Places like Northampton, MA; Gloucester, MA; Newburyport, MA; Portsmouth, NH; Salem, MA; Portland, ME come to mind.
I was going to suggest Portsmouth. What a great town.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:59 PM

93 posts, read 75,980 times
I'd suggest Newburyport or Portsmouth, NH. Both of similar architecture, right on the water, nice areas.
NBPT is about 30 minutes closer to boston than Portsmouth..but they both have advantages like Portsmouths closer to the Mountains.

If I had to pick one I'd say Portsmouth

Old 05-17-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
If you wish to stay within New England, I would look into the Providence, RI or New Haven, CT areas. These areas are much more affordable than the Boston area, and much more laid back, with less traffic and stress. The Hartford, CT area is nice too, but the city of Hartford is not really nice to walk around in. If you want an even less populated area, try Portland, Maine or Manchester, NH.
I have heard New Haven has an issue with crime. How true is that? I don't know much about Providence, so any info on it would be appreciated.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post

Right now, our housing budget would be up to 350-400k, or probably $2,200/mo. We do not want to spend that much however. We want to spend as little as possible and still get what we want. We want left over to actually spend time doing things we enjoy with our son. I am interested in Portsmouth NH though. I have also looked at Nashua, NH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or