U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:57 PM

514 posts, read 382,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtheLibrarian View Post
Howdy y'all. I'll be finishing my Masters of Library Science degree at SUNY Stony Brook in the fall and I want to move back down South. I'm originally from Tyler, Texas (about an hour and a half east of Dallas), but it's a little too conservative for me. Help my find a city that's perfect for a lesbian, liberal redneck where I could look for jobs. There are liberal places in the South, I know that, but those places are usually overrun with transplants. My ideal city is both very liberal, and unapologetically Southern. Size doesn't matter! As long as it's liberal, Southern, and has good libraries.

About me:
Sexuality: Lesbian (single)
Race: White
Religion: Quaker
Politics: Liberal
Career: Young Adult Librarian (so it has to be someplace that values libraries)
Music taste: Country, Alt Country, Folk, Americana
Smokes: Yes
Drinks: Yes
Favorite Sport: Football
Beer: Shiner Bock
Bourbon: Old Weller for everyday drinking and Angel's Envy for special occasions
Pets: Two pit bulls
Hobbies: Barbecuing (I need to be somewhere that has good barbecue. Long Island barbecue aint cuttin' in!) , reading, seeing live music, drinking bourbon with good friends, camping.
San Marcos, Lockhart, Ft. Worth, Denton, Tomball in Texas. Fayettville, Arkansas. Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 09:18 AM

884 posts, read 1,529,068 times
Left-wing, redneck, lesbian paradise?

I know it's not in the south, and it's a little town, but Moab, Utah immediately comes to mind. Lesbians love that place. Hell, everybody loves that place!

Last time I was there, I saw a girl doing what I could only describe as "namaste-ing" on her bike. Of course, no way to tell from afar what her sexual orientation was, but the scene described the town pretty well.

More 4x4 and mountain biking trails than you can shake a stick at. Very left-wing and gay-friendly. Looks like they've only got the Grand County Public Library though.

I'd at least consider it, it's a great place.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:23 AM

9,534 posts, read 5,327,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Asheville, NC.
I second that choice.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:27 AM

1,713 posts, read 1,380,734 times
um...

Old 05-17-2015, 09:57 AM

6,547 posts, read 7,506,808 times
Not sure this place exists. However the closest thing to it is Ashville NC or Austin TX, but the downside is once you leave the city your back in the "regular south". Other southern cities have college areas where liberal views may cling to the campus area, but fade quick a few blocks from the University. The south is socially conservative and religious. Hippy and left wing are usually derisive terms here aimed at other parts of the country, or used to describe things we don't like or approve of. You can easily find an area where no one will bother you for you beliefs, but to find an area in the south that most people openly support the is going to be very tough.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:43 PM

7,260 posts, read 8,261,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Asheville will not be redneck enough.

My first thought is East Nashville, but maybe getting too transplant-y???

I've been told there are a number of Gay people working at the Knox County libraries, so Knoxville might be worth considering. Especially since you love football! But the culture is more Appalachian than "unapologetically Southern".
While the city of Asheville is not what one would call redneck, it is most definitely surrounded by areas that would be considered redneck.

And to be honest, Asheville was the first city to pop to mind as well. The one thing they don't have is football, but Charlotte is not far away and if you need your NCAA fix, Clemson is also not far away.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:49 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,060,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Not sure this place exists. However the closest thing to it is Ashville NC or Austin TX, but the downside is once you leave the city your back in the "regular south". Other southern cities have college areas where liberal views may cling to the campus area, but fade quick a few blocks from the University. The south is socially conservative and religious. Hippy and left wing are usually derisive terms here aimed at other parts of the country, or used to describe things we don't like or approve of. You can easily find an area where no one will bother you for you beliefs, but to find an area in the south that most people openly support the is going to be very tough.
I agree with this assessment, which I why I recommend the OP look for her personal paradise someplace out West.

Prescott, AZ immediately comes to mind--tolerant, open-minded people with a live-and-let-live attitude. No one cares what religion you are, who you sleep with or where you're from. Active, outdoors-oriented population--lots of people hike, bike, camp, fish, hunt, garden, kayak, horseback-ride, etc. Nature and the environment in general are very important and well-respected, unlike in the South. Very safe/low crime. Beautiful natural scenery and plenty of trees/greenery (if that's your thing--it's most people's). Very low humidity, lots of sunshine. On the warmer side, but has all four seasons and doesn't get extremely hot like the low desert areas (i.e., Phoenix, Tucson). Doesn't get too cold either, esp. compared to the Midwest, Northeast, Upper South, and most of the Intermountain West. They get some snow in the winter, but not much, and it melts quickly. It's got a cute little downtown and reasonable home prices. You can drive to Phoenix for things you really need on occasion--higher-end shopping, fine dining, pro-sports, travel, more culture. It's also close to Flagstaff if you want more snow, mountains, winter sports, etc. as well as Sedona and the Grand Canyon for some of the most breathtaking natural scenery on the planet.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:20 PM

6,547 posts, read 7,506,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I agree with this assessment, which I why I recommend the OP look for her personal paradise someplace out West.

Prescott, AZ immediately comes to mind--tolerant, open-minded people with a live-and-let-live attitude. No one cares what religion you are, who you sleep with or where you're from. Active, outdoors-oriented population--lots of people hike, bike, camp, fish, hunt, garden, kayak, horseback-ride, etc. Nature and the environment in general are very important and well-respected, unlike in the South. Very safe/low crime. Beautiful natural scenery and plenty of trees/greenery (if that's your thing--it's most people's). Very low humidity, lots of sunshine. On the warmer side, but has all four seasons and doesn't get extremely hot like the low desert areas (i.e., Phoenix, Tucson). Doesn't get too cold either, esp. compared to the Midwest, Northeast, Upper South, and most of the Intermountain West. They get some snow in the winter, but not much, and it melts quickly. It's got a cute little downtown and reasonable home prices. You can drive to Phoenix for things you really need on occasion--higher-end shopping, fine dining, pro-sports, travel, more culture. It's also close to Flagstaff if you want more snow, mountains, winter sports, etc. as well as Sedona and the Grand Canyon for some of the most breathtaking natural scenery on the planet.
I like the Flagstaff area in AZ, though ive never been to Prescott. Im talking about the scenery though, as I know next to nothing about Arizona culture and politics other than the fact that it still often falls out as a "red state" in presidential years.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:36 PM

279 posts, read 281,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I second that choice.
I'll second that second !! Asheville NC

Old 06-16-2015, 06:10 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,181,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post
Fayetteville, Arkansas has an award-winning library, a big gay community, and lots of outdoors nearby.

The metro is 500k, the biggest metro in the Ozarks.

Fayetteville Public Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can't get work at the Fayetteville public library, there is a large state university in the city with its own libraries. There are three other cities/large towns with their own libraries making up the metro which are not quite as "gay friendly" as Fayetteville, but are all growing rapidly.
I second this. Great city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or