U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,068 times

Advertisements

Howdy y'all. I'll be finishing my Masters of Library Science degree at SUNY Stony Brook in the fall and I want to move back down South. I'm originally from Tyler, Texas (about an hour and a half east of Dallas), but it's a little too conservative for me. Help my find a city that's perfect for a lesbian, liberal redneck where I could look for jobs. There are liberal places in the South, I know that, but those places are usually overrun with transplants. My ideal city is both very liberal, and unapologetically Southern. Size doesn't matter! As long as it's liberal, Southern, and has good libraries.

About me:
Sexuality: Lesbian (single)
Race: White
Religion: Quaker
Politics: Liberal
Career: Young Adult Librarian (so it has to be someplace that values libraries)
Music taste: Country, Alt Country, Folk, Americana
Smokes: Yes
Drinks: Yes
Favorite Sport: Football
Beer: Shiner Bock
Bourbon: Old Weller for everyday drinking and Angel's Envy for special occasions
Pets: Two pit bulls
Hobbies: Barbecuing (I need to be somewhere that has good barbecue. Long Island barbecue aint cuttin' in!) , reading, seeing live music, drinking bourbon with good friends, camping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:15 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,510,289 times
Maybe Lexington, KY?

Old 05-13-2015, 02:17 PM

43,534 posts, read 52,626,787 times
Denton, TX

Old 05-13-2015, 09:51 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,475,639 times
Fayetteville, Arkansas has an award-winning library, a big gay community, and lots of outdoors nearby.

The metro is 500k, the biggest metro in the Ozarks.

Fayetteville Public Library - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can't get work at the Fayetteville public library, there is a large state university in the city with its own libraries. There are three other cities/large towns with their own libraries making up the metro which are not quite as "gay friendly" as Fayetteville, but are all growing rapidly.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:55 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,475,639 times
Also, Fayetteville has a big college football presence, with an SEC football team.

Shiner is stocked and on tap everywhere here.

Fayetteville has a big Americana/Folk scene, and you can find that type of music most nights downtown.

It is also host to the Fayetteville Roots Festival. Fayetteville Roots Festival

An hour away for very gay-friendly day trips is Eureka Springs, Arkansas, touted by some as the gayest small town in America.

Fayetteville hosts a gay pride week with a big parade, always grand-marshalled by the mayor.

Lots of great local BBQ, my favorite is the award-winning Whole Hog Cafe.

Come visit our forum and look around a bit.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:02 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Fredericksburg, Texs. Close to the Shiner brewery, great barbecue, Austin, and Friday night lights.

Brooks County Texas is the only county in the US that has never been carried by a Republican presidential candidatge. But I don't think Falfurrias would be the best town for your needs.

Old 05-13-2015, 10:12 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Asheville, NC.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:52 AM

21,185 posts, read 30,343,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtheLibrarian View Post
Howdy y'all. I'll be finishing my Masters of Library Science degree at SUNY Stony Brook in the fall and I want to move back down South. I'm originally from Tyler, Texas (about an hour and a half east of Dallas), but it's a little too conservative for me. Help my find a city that's perfect for a lesbian, liberal redneck where I could look for jobs. There are liberal places in the South, I know that, but those places are usually overrun with transplants. My ideal city is both very liberal, and unapologetically Southern. Size doesn't matter! As long as it's liberal, Southern, and has good libraries.

About me:
Sexuality: Lesbian (single)
Race: White
Religion: Quaker
Politics: Liberal
Career: Young Adult Librarian (so it has to be someplace that values libraries)
Music taste: Country, Alt Country, Folk, Americana
Smokes: Yes
Drinks: Yes
Favorite Sport: Football
Beer: Shiner Bock
Bourbon: Old Weller for everyday drinking and Angel's Envy for special occasions
Pets: Two pit bulls
Hobbies: Barbecuing (I need to be somewhere that has good barbecue. Long Island barbecue aint cuttin' in!) , reading, seeing live music, drinking bourbon with good friends, camping.
Based on much of your criteria I would give Athens GA some consideration. It's home to the University of Georgia and fulfills all of your criteria quite well I think. You might also give some thought to Atlanta as well in places like Decatur (the South's Lesbian epicenter) or East Atlanta.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:57 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
Asheville will not be redneck enough.

My first thought is East Nashville, but maybe getting too transplant-y???

I've been told there are a number of Gay people working at the Knox County libraries, so Knoxville might be worth considering. Especially since you love football! But the culture is more Appalachian than "unapologetically Southern".

Old 05-14-2015, 07:14 AM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,043,303 times
Truly Southern and "very liberal" is kind of an oxymoron. That said, maybe New Orleans? Kind of its own version of Southern/redneck, but it has a very strong Gulf Coast/Southern influences and is liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or