Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 04:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's definitely not true on C-D. We have one poster who is constantly, constantly telling us how DC is blowing up, how DC is building faster, bigger and better than every other city, how what's happening in DC is unprecedented in American history, how we won't recognize DC the next time we visit, how DC is getting more celebrity chefs from NYC than any other city, how DC has more residential units in the pipeline than any other city, how DC is building TOD in its suburbs which will place it leaps and bounds ahead of every city that's not NYC, how DC is adding so many people it's making his head spin, how Downtown DC has streetwalls as far as the eye can see, how DC is the second city in America for cultural amenities after NYC, how DC is becoming an apartment city like Manhattan, how DC will have a waterfront like no other, how DC is fast-paced unlike other cities save NYC, how DC has a "outta my way" mentality, etc.

That poster is a native, not a transplant.
LOL, you definitely have some natives on here that are just as bad if not worse. When I was thinking of the cities with the most homerish natives DC, SF, and NYC were the one's that came to mind, at least at the moment. I think we all know who are the worst when it comes to DC and "Da Bay".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 04:13 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Also do transplants in your area adopt the local sports teams as basically their #1 team now and push their hometown teams aside? I've noticed lots of transplants hop on the Giants and Niners bandwagons and stop caring for the teams they grew up rooting for.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:18 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
I would assume in many areas transplants come in to do white-collar jobs so they have more income to buy such things. Look at a small city in the midwest. Probably the largest majority of transplants are doctors/nurses/PAs at the local hospital.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:43 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,902,630 times
It is really simple regarding the subject at hand and that is if you are happy with where you live you will take pride in it, via native or transplant. When you enjoy where you live it is quite normal to boost and speak highly of your city.

Old 05-14-2015, 04:57 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Also do transplants in your area adopt the local sports teams as basically their #1 team now and push their hometown teams aside? I've noticed lots of transplants hop on the Giants and Niners bandwagons and stop caring for the teams they grew up rooting for.
>Warriors fans out of nowhere

They kind of do in LA. New York, Boston, and Chicago area transplants tend to stay loyal though.

I almost feel like Chicago sports fans up 25-30% of the fanbases whenever the Bulls/Cubs/Blackhawks are here.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:15 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. The number of NYC transplants who look down on NJ is just not okay. TBH, many New Yorkers like NJ. They come to our beaches (Staten Islanders in particular) and New Yorkers also shop in our malls. The native to native relationship is just fine; it's the transplants who I think cause the most problems and give New Yorkers in general a bad name.
Real NYers have a friendly/sibling rivalry with NJ, but in my experience it is superficial because we -know- NJ, and we love the beach, Jersey corn and tomatos, canoeing on the Delaware, etc. and we have friends and family living there. It is also a familiar, comfortable place.

And the downsides: traffic, pollution, crowding, and occasional abrasive personalities are nothing NYers can act superior about :-)

Old 05-14-2015, 10:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Some transplants are homers because they are trying to justify their decision to move. Others just really love the area. I fall in the latter category. I love where I live and it suits me. I've noticed a lot of natives don't realize how great it is because it's all they've ever known.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:46 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
LOL, you definitely have some natives on here that are just as bad if not worse. When I was thinking of the cities with the most homerish natives DC, SF, and NYC were the one's that came to mind, at least at the moment. I think we all know who are the worst when it comes to DC and "Da Bay".
Throw Houston and Atlanta in there too!!!

Old 05-15-2015, 08:01 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,416,601 times
In my experience, I have found that transplants have often seen more of the city than natives have.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:19 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That poster is a native, not a transplant.
Yes there are exceptions. But I think overall, transplants are overrepresented among the "homers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.