Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:46 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times

Advertisements

Just a general thought that has occurred to me: why are the transplants to various cities much bigger homers than the natives of the area?

I find that to be universally true not only across City-Data, but also in real life. The transplants who are really happy with a city tend to be more bombastic and much bigger braggarts of an area than the people who grew up there.

It makes sense why, especially since you chose to be there and feels like you've become part of the city, but it honestly gives off an incomplete view on what the city on the ground feels like. There are going to be lots of natives who hate the **** out of the place, and lots of natives (like my relationship with LA) who see it as a huge "meh": not awful, but not the greatest thing ever, and lots of natives who think there would outside of their city is filled with lava and monsters.

The psychology behind the transplant boosting is interesting though: I feel like it trends more towards the extremes. Lots of people who hate it, lots of people who love it, and very little "meh's"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:10 PM

87 posts, read 138,994 times
Because transplants are trying to justify their decision of moving somewhere, whereas natives don't have a choice.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Just a general thought that has occurred to me: why are the transplants to various cities much bigger homers than the natives of the area?

I find that to be universally true not only across City-Data, but also in real life. The transplants who are really happy with a city tend to be more bombastic and much bigger braggarts of an area than the people who grew up there.

It makes sense why, especially since you chose to be there and feels like you've become part of the city, but it honestly gives off an incomplete view on what the city on the ground feels like. There are going to be lots of natives who hate the **** out of the place, and lots of natives (like my relationship with LA) who see it as a huge "meh": not awful, but not the greatest thing ever, and lots of natives who think there would outside of their city is filled with lava and monsters.

The psychology behind the transplant boosting is interesting though: I feel like it trends more towards the extremes. Lots of people who hate it, lots of people who love it, and very little "meh's"
I notice the trend, too. I've been saying this about New York in particular for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post
Because transplants are trying to justify their decision of moving somewhere, whereas natives don't have a choice.
I think it's partially this and also partially that people want to show off. Many transplants to big cities come from small towns in other - less populated, more rural - areas of the country and I think it makes them feel good to overtly brag about life in the city and all the incredible things it has and all the incredible things they can do.

Transplants to NY are often very snobby and snooty (which IMO they have no right to be), as if they are superior, even regarding their attitude towards the rest of the metro.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:18 PM

87 posts, read 138,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I notice the trend, too. I've been saying this about New York in particular for a while.

I think it's partially this and also partially that people want to show off. Many transplants to big cities come from small towns in other - less populated, more rural - areas of the country and I think it makes them feel good to overtly brag about life in the city and all the incredible things it has and all the incredible things they can do.

Transplants to NY are often very snobby and snooty (which IMO they have no right to be), as if they are superior, even regarding their attitude towards the rest of the metro.
It's called being insecure about humble roots lol

Just like the meanest girls in high school were the ones that were fat pizza faces in junior high, it's called overcompensating

Old 05-14-2015, 02:38 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that too when I was in NYC, but that was high school so it was a BIT different. It was funny because a lot of my classmates asked me why I moved from "Cali" to NYC, and it was for my mom's job. Most of the native NYC kids were pretty indifferent about living there. It's just another place to grow up.

The transplants to LA, even on this forum, can be a bit freaking snarky. When I tell them that I grew up mostly in the Valley, it's like I'm a leper. Sorry my parents' were immigrants to America instead of Westside yuppies.

I notice it with Bay Area transplants too. Cool, you live in SF. It doesn't mean its everyone's paradise all of a sudden.

Just because something fits YOU doesn't mean that its supposed to fit everyone. You aren't suddenly a better or worse person because your address changes.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:48 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
At least for me, while I recognize that characteristics that make a place like the Bay Area "special" or stand out you're kind of used to it and you grew up with it so maybe it's not quite as a big deal to natives as it is to newcomers. For example, some of the natural beauty like the Redwoods or coastline, the views from or of SF, the "weather", etc.. Yeah I get why people make a big deal about it but it's something I've been around the majority of my life so I guess I just don't get as awestruck by it, or at least am as not as verbal about it.

Old 05-14-2015, 02:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Yeah, I noticed that too when I was in NYC, but that was high school so it was a BIT different. It was funny because a lot of my classmates asked me why I moved from "Cali" to NYC, and it was for my mom's job. Most of the native NYC kids were pretty indifferent about living there. It's just another place to grow up.

The transplants to LA, even on this forum, can be a bit freaking snarky. When I tell them that I grew up mostly in the Valley, it's like I'm a leper. Sorry my parents' were immigrants to America instead of Westside yuppies.

I notice it with Bay Area transplants too. Cool, you live in SF. It doesn't mean its everyone's paradise all of a sudden.

Just because something fits YOU doesn't mean that its supposed to fit everyone. You aren't suddenly a better or worse person because your address changes.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The number of NYC transplants who look down on NJ is just not okay. TBH, many New Yorkers like NJ. They come to our beaches (Staten Islanders in particular) and New Yorkers also shop in our malls. The native to native relationship is just fine; it's the transplants who I think cause the most problems and give New Yorkers in general a bad name.

And it's funny, too, because someone who's been living in Brooklyn for a year will call his/herself a New Yorker and I'm like - no. No, no, no. I think it takes longer than a year to be able to call yourself a New Yorker, or an Angeleno. Just my opinion of course. But if I moved to NYC, from living 20 miles from Manhattan in the metro, I probably would have a hard time ever calling myself a true New Yorker - and it's already "my city" as you could say.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 PM

2,723 posts, read 6,108,256 times
Quote:
Yeah I've noticed this too.

"You're not a New Yorker. You're from Dayton Ohio."

Old 05-14-2015, 04:00 PM

6,805 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Eh. I would consider myself both a native and a homer...

Old 05-14-2015, 04:02 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:

That's definitely not true on C-D. We have one poster who is constantly, constantly telling us how DC is blowing up, how DC is building faster, bigger and better than every other city, how what's happening in DC is unprecedented in American history, how we won't recognize DC the next time we visit, how DC is getting more celebrity chefs from NYC than any other city, how DC has more residential units in the pipeline than any other city, how DC is building TOD in its suburbs which will place it leaps and bounds ahead of every city that's not NYC, how DC is adding so many people it's making his head spin, how Downtown DC has streetwalls as far as the eye can see, how DC is the second city in America for cultural amenities after NYC, how DC is becoming an apartment city like Manhattan, how DC will have a waterfront like no other, how DC is fast-paced unlike other cities save NYC, how DC has a "outta my way" mentality, etc.

That poster is a native, not a transplant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.