U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 PM

142 posts, read 163,681 times

Advertisements

Hi; first I introduce myself; I m a women from Europe; Italy. I ve always stayed here (in Italy) and I plan my future in Italy. (I've always imagined myself here)

Europe say intellectuals and newspapers will become multicultural/multiethnic maybe.

I ve always wondered about this kind of society (since imigration started only in 2000 in my country)..to comprehend better this new big thing. And USA is the better country to look at for myself (study Theese phenomenon)

Btw I don t want to see on this thread any form of racial discrimination or racial slurs

And sorry for my grammar mistakes if there are any

Here some questions for you Americans:

•do you feel American or another nationality?
•do you feel cosmopolitan?
•do you perceive there is solidarity between Americans regardless of their ethnic identity?
•are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (Meaning do you stick to your people?)
•if you stick to your people is this perceived as discrimination by others (and probably by yourself too)?
•if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside USA?
•is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society?
•would you desire a more monocultural (/monoethnic?) society for USA? (Meaning do you wish a more quick meltingpot for USA..as people will be mixed in a one monoculture/ethnic block?)
•is for you better a monocultural/ethnic society or a multicultural/multiethnic society?
•if you were born outside USA; was it a shock/problem usa's multiethnic and multicultural society?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 06:34 PM

142 posts, read 163,681 times
Here's the last set of questions:

•do you tolerate other religions? (Even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?)
•can religions in USA cohexist peacefully?

Old 05-14-2015, 11:10 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid0 View Post
hi; first i introduce myself; i m a women from europe; italy. I ve always stayed here (in italy) and i plan my future in italy. (i've always imagined myself here)

europe say intellectuals and newspapers will become multicultural/multiethnic maybe.

I ve always wondered about this kind of society (since imigration started only in 2000 in my country)..to comprehend better this new big thing. And usa is the better country to look at for myself (study theese phenomenon)

btw i don t want to see on this thread any form of racial discrimination or racial slurs

and sorry for my grammar mistakes if there are any

here some questions for you americans:

•do you feel american or another nationality? American
•do you feel cosmopolitan? In my particular area, yes I think more than many other areas in the us.
•do you perceive there is solidarity between americans regardless of their ethnic identity? Generally yes
•are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (meaning do you stick to your people?) More so race than ethnicity, but it has more to do with the demographics in my particular town/immediate surrounding area than a conscious choice. My state is very diverse but my town and nearby towns are very white. White and wealthy.
•if you stick to your people is this perceived as discrimination by others (and probably by yourself too)? That depends. I don't view it as discrimination because I can't help where I grew up, live, and who I have become friends with as a result.
•if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside usa? England or Australia. I would love to live in Italy actually but I'd be hesitant because I don't speak the language!
•is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society? Not unless it's forced upon us that we have to be diverse and multicultural. If it's a natural thing that people don't make a big deal about, I don't mind a multicultural society.
•would you desire a more monocultural (/monoethnic?) society for usa? (meaning do you wish a more quick meltingpot for usa..as people will be mixed in a one monoculture/ethnic block?) I wish new immigrants would assimilate more than I feel they currently do. Most importantly - speak english.
•is for you better a monocultural/ethnic society or a multicultural/multiethnic society? I think a lot of tensions would be solved or gone if we were less diverse, but it's not possible for this country to not be diverse and I'm totally okay with that.
•if you were born outside usa; was it a shock/problem usa's multiethnic and multicultural society? N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupid0 View Post
here's the last set of questions:

•do you tolerate other religions? (even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?) I do, if people of those other religions can tolerate other religions themselves and not be patronizing, act superior or smarter, and can peacefully coexist.
•can religions in usa cohexist peacefully? I think we do okay. The rise is Islamic extremism threatens us all everywhere but this is a small percentage of the Muslim population. But we have seen incidents in the US led by Islamic extremists, obviously, with the one in Texas just last week or the week before being the most recent. If those types of people could just not, that would be great.
My answers are in bold.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:08 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,721,222 times

•do you feel American or another nationality? American
•do you feel cosmopolitan? No, lol
•do you perceive there is solidarity between Americans regardless of their ethnic identity? Yes, even with other nationalities as well.
•are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (Meaning do you stick to your people?) Not really
•if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside USA? France
•is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society? I don't feel like its that much of a multicultural society, the American people are diverse but they usually all share the same General American culture.

Here's the last set of questions:

•do you tolerate other religions? (Even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?) Yes
•can religions in USA cohexist peacefully? Not perfectly, there will always be some hostility (human nature) but i don't see full out wars breaking out or anything.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:44 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,195,076 times
do you feel American or another nationality? American - my family has been here for 300+ years. I am of French descent however, and I'm very proud of that fact.

do you feel cosmopolitan? Yes

do you perceive there is solidarity between Americans regardless of their ethnic identity? No. I think we are a very segregated society despite the laws that attempt to break that down. I don't see this changing in my lifetime (32 y/o). This could be more regional based however.

are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (Meaning do you stick to your people?) Yes. As I said, I'm proud of my French descent. If I meet another cajun person, I feel as they are family (and they probably are).

if you stick to your people is this perceived as discrimination by others (and probably by yourself too)? Probably, and it's probably understood. Our history is very unique and people are very unaware of us anyways.

if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside USA? France. Maybe the Poiters area or even Paris.

is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society? No. I love all people and all expressions. Everybody has origins and there is nothing wrong with being proud of them. I hope we can continue to preserve that and not be melted into one clump of American.

would you desire a more monocultural (/monoethnic?) society for USA? (Meaning do you wish a more quick meltingpot for USA..as people will be mixed in a one monoculture/ethnic block?) I am disgusted with that thought actually. If my people were breeded out a piece of my heart would die.

is for you better a monocultural/ethnic society or a multicultural/multiethnic society? See above

if you were born outside USA; was it a shock/problem usa's multiethnic and multicultural society? N/A

do you tolerate other religions? (Even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?) Absolutely.

can religions in USA cohexist peacefully? They already do.

Last edited by Mwahfromtheheart; 05-15-2015 at 03:53 AM..

Old 05-15-2015, 09:03 AM

793 posts, read 1,053,820 times

•do you feel American or another nationality?
American

•do you feel cosmopolitan?
No, I also don't feel that I need to be cosmopolitan

•do you perceive there is solidarity between Americans regardless of their ethnic identity?
No - not these days.

•are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (Meaning do you stick to your people?)

I don't know how to answer this because I'm open to new people and experiences, but I like my culture.

•if you stick to your people is this perceived as discrimination by others (and probably by yourself too)?

Yes because I'm a cultural conservative.

•if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside USA?
Yes, I would emigrate. Where would depend on my needs and what's offered in a specific country. Different places have different pros/cons. I don't really think much about leaving, so I don't have a better answer.

•is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society?

Not really.

•would you desire a more monocultural (/monoethnic?) society for USA? (Meaning do you wish a more quick meltingpot for USA..as people will be mixed in a one monoculture/ethnic block?)

I'd like a clear orderly immigration process, so new Americans can be assimilated into American culture easier. I'm okay with the melting pot.

•is for you better a monocultural/ethnic society or a multicultural/multiethnic society?

America has always been multicultural, but there's always been a common American culture as well. That gets lost with the amount of immigration we get and the fact that some don't want to assimilate into the culture.

•if you were born outside USA; was it a shock/problem usa's multiethnic and multicultural society?

n/a

•do you tolerate other religions? (Even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?)

Yes.

•can religions in USA cohexist peacefully?

For the most part, they do, 99% of the time. We've got the Mormons, the Protestants, the Catholics, the Muslims (Shia/Sunni), the Jews, the agnostics, the none, the Wiccans, other pagans, new agers......the Buddhists and other Eastern religions. (I'm sorry, if I missed your particular group - it wasn't on purpose). Nobody really cares if you have a higher power or not and it's only a small minority that gets out the guns and starts killing people in the name of religion. We've had blips of violence, but nothing like what has happened in Europe or what is currently going on in the Middle East.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:02 AM

645 posts, read 611,220 times
Ahhh Italy! Balotelli has a hard time!!

•do you feel American or another nationality? - Earthling
•do you feel cosmopolitan? Yes
•do you perceive there is solidarity between Americans regardless of their ethnic identity? Depends on the area. But still i would say, yes.
•are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (Meaning do you stick to your people?) - Most do. Not me! Brains matter. Europe has lots of it though. European women are a treat to talk to
•if you stick to your people is this perceived as discrimination by others (and probably by yourself too)? Depends on the context.
•if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside USA? England, only for Manchester United!
•is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society? No. Makes it more fun.
•would you desire a more monocultural (/monoethnic?) society for USA? (Meaning do you wish a more quick meltingpot for USA..as people will be mixed in a one monoculture/ethnic block?) - Absolutely not!
•is for you better a monocultural/ethnic society or a multicultural/multiethnic society? Multi
•if you were born outside USA; was it a shock/problem usa's multiethnic and multicultural society? N/A, but if i was, it wouldn't have been a problem.
•do you tolerate other religions? (Even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?) - Yes. Me Agnostic/Atheist or whatever you like to call it. So I am more flexible i would say!
•can religions in USA cohexist peacefully? They are right now. Isn't it? Dont see that changing.

Race in Italy is an issue. You don't way to be beyond Germany towards the east.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:27 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,651,343 times
For point of reference, I am a white man in his upper 40s. I was born in the United States and have lived here all my life. I have only been to a few other countries (and always for short visits only), and have only been to Europe once. (I visited France one time, over 30 years ago. For what it's worth, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It still ranks as one of the best vacations I've ever had.)

•do you feel American or another nationality? American.

•do you feel cosmopolitan? Not really.

•do you perceive there is solidarity between Americans regardless of their ethnic identity? In general, yes. Though I think this has been fraying a bit in recent times.

•are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (Meaning do you stick to your people?) I am drawn to people who are similar to myself in terms of culture, beliefs, and way of life. My "culture" is that of white, upper-middle-class America, so those are the people I'm most comfortable with. Where I live, many Asians (by that I mean East Asian, i.e. China, Japan, Korea) share these cultural traits, and I feel very comfortable with them too, despite the difference in surface appearance.

•if you stick to your people is this perceived as discrimination by others (and probably by yourself too)? It may be, but I don't care. Who I choose to associate with -- or not associate with -- is my own business, no one else's.

•if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside USA? I can't imagine living in any other country. But if I had to, I would probably choose a country whose majority population is white and whose language is English, simply because that's what I'm most comfortable with. So, my choices would be Canada (if I could stand the cold!), the United Kingdom, Australia, or New Zealand. (I am aware that the demographics of the United Kingdom are changing, so I don't know if I would be comfortable there on a long-term basis.) Though I've never been to Asia, I think I would fit in pretty well with the people of Japan or South Korea as well; though the language barrier would be very hard to overcome.

•is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society? I make a distinction between multi-ethnic (or multi-racial) and multicultural. A country that has many different ethnicities but one primary culture can be a very harmonious place; in general this is how I feel the United States is, though not as much as it used to be. However, a place with a single race but many different cultures can be very problematic. As an example, I refer to your own Europe, which despite being made up almost entirely of white people (until recently), has many different cultures and has had a centuries-long tradition of fighting bloody wars between your countries.

•would you desire a more monocultural (/monoethnic?) society for USA? (Meaning do you wish a more quick meltingpot for USA..as people will be mixed in a one monoculture/ethnic block?) Mono-cultural, yes absolutely I wish it were so. If that were the case, then it wouldn't matter to me so much if it were mono-ethnic or not.

•is for you better a monocultural/ethnic society or a multicultural/multiethnic society? See above. To me, a mono-cultural society is far, far preferable to a multicultural one. I think I would prefer a mono-ethnic society as well, though this may be due to the fact that some of our country's cultural divides happen to coincide with racial divides as well. As I said before, I know many Asians who share my cultural traits, and I'm perfectly comfortable with them.

•if you were born outside USA; was it a shock/problem usa's multiethnic and multicultural society? N/A. Some of the Asians I know are recent immigrants to this country (others have lived here all their lives and are as American as I am), and they do tend to be surprised at our diversity.

•do you tolerate other religions? (Even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?) Yes I do, and I say this as a strong believer in Evangelical Christianity. I do tend to have the belief (which is common to most religious believers) that my religion is right and everyone else's is wrong. But I also believe that God calls people to Himself through the power of His irresistible love, not by force or compulsion. So I try to model that in my own behavior. Even if I somehow gained the power to "force" people to proclaim my religion, I would not want to use it.

•can religions in USA cohexist peacefully? There is a somewhat popular bumper sticker in this country in which the word CO-EXIST is spelled out using symbols from a variety of different religions. Those stickers always irritate me, because the implied message is that all religions are equally bad at refusing to peacefully co-exist with all the other ones. This is not how I see it at all. As I see it, most religions in America co-exist quite well -- with the striking exception of Islam.

Old 05-15-2015, 12:06 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,812 times
Little about me: Was born in Mexico, came to the U.S. when I was 7 years old. The first house I lived in was my aunt's mother in law's house, who are Chinese-Filipinos. So Filipinos were the first Americans I met. I grew up and attended schools in an area where the demographics was something like 30 something % white (Irish, Italians, some Russians, Jews and a lot of typical American euro-muts, Middle Easterns), 30 something % Asian (Koreans, Chinese, Taiwanese, Vietnamese, Japanese, Indians etc etc), 20 something percent Latino (mostly Mexican and central Americans, but also a bit of South Americans), like 6% Pacific Islander (Filipinos, Samoans, Tongans) and the rest were Africans/black. These people were my neighbors, my best friends, dates/girlfriends/boyfriends, co-workers etc. My piece of American pie is far from the segregated bland America most actually get to experience.

do you feel American or another nationality? American.

do you feel cosmopolitan? I have more of a rugged personality, but I do enjoy craft beer, a decent brunch and Korean Soon Tofu. So, yes?

do you perceive there is solidarity between Americans regardless of their ethnic identity? I do think so. Nonetheless, there are some heavy class issues that need to be addressed (increasing poverty, homeless and a disappearing middle class), that can cause a rise in ethnic and racial tension due to the simple fact that wealthy in this country tend to be of a certain background (white, but WASP to be specific.)

are you more drawn (sexually, friends, social life) by your ethnicity (whatever broad or small ethnicity you identify with) or it doesn't infuence whom you are drawn by? (Meaning do you stick to your people?) Nah. I've actually dated people whose ancestral origins are from just about every continent on this planet (except Antarctica), but it never felt like I was dating someone from outside my ethnicity since they were all Americans or heavily Americanized. It would be cool to date a non-American for once.

if you stick to your people is this perceived as discrimination by others (and probably by yourself too)? People would probably see it as odd/weird and limiting, but it wouldn't be unheard of. For example, one of my best friends is Indian, and she only dates Gujarati Indians who are Jain. On the other hand, another gal who is Indian as well, but from South Africa, refuses to date Indians...but she has dated lots of white dudes, Koreans, Chinese, Mexicans etc. People can usually tell the difference between a preference and someone's attempt to hide their racism/discrimination as a preference.

if constricted to; where would you emigrate outside USA? Canada, Australia...any other society that is overall welcoming to foreigners/immigrants. I would include Brazil, Mexico and Chile if I had a good job in place. I really like Japan, but I would always be the foreigner or Gaijin. Same goes for Europe.

is it a problem for you a multicultural/multiethnic society? Nope. Love it.

would you desire a more monocultural (/monoethnic?) society for USA? (Meaning do you wish a more quick meltingpot for USA..as people will be mixed in a one monoculture/ethnic block?) Nah. Despite xenophobic attitudes, American culture and values always prevails. By the third generation, most immigrant families hardly speak the language back from the old country and many times feel like foreigners in the home country of their ancestors. Plus, thanks to Latino and Asian Americans...the next generation of Americans will be one of the most mixed since they date and married outside their ethnicity more than any other Americans (including Euro/whites and Africans/blacks.)

•is for you better a monocultural/ethnic society or a multicultural/multiethnic society? Like the previous poster said, America is more of a monoculture/multiethnic society...which i think works well enough for us (nothing is perfect). There are subset immigrant cultures, and just sub-cultures in general, but they tend to dissipate with time, or ADD to the overall American culture. What I don't care for is a stagnant society that is afraid of change.

if you were born outside USA; was it a shock/problem usa's multiethnic and multicultural society? It took a little to adjust at first, but it has become a defining part of my American experience, and I wouldn't change a thing.

•do you tolerate other religions? (Even if you are atheist or agnostic; do you tolerate other religion different than that/those of your parents?) Yeah, as long as they aren't in my face about it. (I'm an atheist.)

can religions in USA cohexist peacefully? Definitely. In my neighborhood alone we have a block where you will find a Jain temple, a Muslim mosque, a Catholic Church (frequent by Filipinos and Mexicans), a Sikh temple and a couple Korean protestant churches. Within my group of ten best friends we all have different religions and views...it has never been an issue. Even the Muslims I've had the pleasure to befriend have been rather progressive and friendly. I actually know lots of feminist Muslims that are constantly criticizing other Muslims and extremists the same way we see Christians do.

Having that said. I don't care for religion, and I prefer it stays in people's private lives and not at work, school or our government institutions.

Last edited by RudyOD; 05-15-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 12:27 PM

1,426 posts, read 1,884,812 times
Anecdote: When I traveled to Japan, I did it with two of my best friends, both Americans. One, female, is black and Chinese. The second one is a blond blue-eyed white dude from Texas. As for me, I am olive skinned, brown hair, brown eyed Mexican guy from California. All of us in our mid-20's. When we were there, and other Americans heard our very American accents, they would approach us to talk to us and many were just really happy to be able to socialize with other Americans (especially those that were living in Japan.) This was the case wherever we went throughout Japan, and all types of Americans approached us (including Asian/Japanese Americans). There were no sense of ethnic or racial divisions amongst us. It was actually embarrassingly common to hear other Americans chant "Murica! Murica! Murica!" if they heard or saw you, LOL.

Either way, in a country where people get so stuck in identity politics and hyphenations, it was very nice to just be plain ol American for once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or