U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:54 PM
 
Location: So California
8,545 posts, read 8,872,905 times
Reputation: 4637

Advertisements

In the US the places where its comfortable year round without AC or heat is limited to coastal California.

 
Old 05-29-2015, 10:59 PM
 
891 posts, read 1,093,961 times
Reputation: 730
If you think that Africa doesn't love air conditioning when they can afford it, some friends of mine who grew up in Lagos, Nigeria said that there is a common expression that in Lagos, "The only exception to running air conditioning 365 days a year is when there's a leap year."
 
Old 05-30-2015, 10:37 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Are you sure about that?
Yes, 100% sure. I'm also 100% sure you are full of nonsense if you truly believe that the coastal South has no need for AC. Apparently everyone in the coastal South is crazy, because they all have AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Tokyo, Buenos Aires, and Shanghai all have humid subtropical climates, where summers exhibit heat and humidity, just like Houston.
No, they don't. They are not remotely similar. Houston has far higher humidity than all these cities, and is much, much hotter.

Houston can have 20 days in a row of 100+ degree weather. That's insane, given the humidity. They will have many months with 100+ degree weather. Tokyo, Buenos Aires and Shanghai won't even have one such day, all year.

And in all these cities, AC is the norm. How does it support your wild claims to show that much cooler, less humid cities have AC as the norm, yet you are claiming that AC is unnecessary somewhere like Houston? There would be huge numbers of dead in Houston if you got rid of AC, as was the case prior to introduction of AC (and which still happens during heat waves throughout the world).
 
Old 05-30-2015, 10:40 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
We are witnessing the effects of heat induced dementia first hand.
Seriously. Who knew?

According to this thread, no need for AC in Houston, with its frequent 100 degree +, massive humidity days, the U.S. needs to replace its housing stock with "mud huts" and apparently everyone should obviously look to sub-Saharan Africa for tips on improving residential quality of life.
 
Old 05-30-2015, 02:53 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,197,912 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, 100% sure. I'm also 100% sure you are full of nonsense if you truly believe that the coastal South has no need for AC. Apparently everyone in the coastal South is crazy, because they all have AC.
They have A/C; doesn't mean that it is needed. There are ways that one can keep comfortable in the coastal South without A/C, all without the huge energy bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, they don't. They are not remotely similar. Houston has far higher humidity than all these cities, and is much, much hotter.
False on the humidity; Tokyo, Shanghai, Buenos Aires, and Houston all have similar humidity levels to each other, being mostly in the 70% range. In fact, if we want to go into detail, humidity levels for Houston are actually slightly lower than the other three cities during summer months:
Climate of Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tokyo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Shanghai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Buenos Aires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I will also throw in Zanzibar and Cancun for comparison:
Zanzibar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cancún - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as temperatures, yes, Houston has hotter summer averages than each of three subtropical cities, but not that much. Average high in central Houston on the hottest month is 92F, with Shanghai not too far behind with its hottest month averaging 90F for a high. Buenos Aires and Tokyo are cooler, with average highs in their warmest months only reaching low upper 80s. On the other hand, Cancun's average high in its warmest month is 2F warmer than Houston's, and it has more months than Houston averaging 90F. Zanzibar also has more months with average highs nearing 90F than Houston.

So the difference amongst all the cities in regards to heat and, especially, humidity, is not significant at all, at least, not as much as you purport it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Houston can have 20 days in a row of 100+ degree weather. That's insane, given the humidity. They will have many months with 100+ degree weather. Tokyo, Buenos Aires and Shanghai won't even have one such day, all year.
Shanghai, Tokyo, and Buenos Aires all have seen 100F temps in their history. Buenos Aires in particular has gotten hotter than Houston ever has. Cancun recorded an extreme high similar to Houston's. There goes your idea of the locations "not having one such day all year."

Keep in mind that all the locations mentioned are right in proximity to water compared to Houston, which is a bit inland, yet still have record highs similar to Houston's.

Central Houston has never recorded 20 days in a row of 100+ weather; the highest number of days was 18 in 2011, due to the effects of the worst drought in Texas history, and not even in a row either. It is, thus, not normal for Houston to have such heat every single year. Most years in Houston won't even reach 100F at all. So much for your out and out exaggeration of "many months of 100F weather.":
Best city with no need of A/C & Heat-untitled3.png

By the way, the instances of 100F heat in Houston is due to certain years where SW desert high-pressure moves into the city, and across the US. Because of the desert origin of the air-mass, humidity levels in Houston will be low during such periods, and thus, it will basically be "dry heat." It is impossible to have 100F days with high humidity in Houston.

Houston is inland relative to the other locations listed (over 50 miles inland from Gulf), so the fact that it is hotter than many of them is expected. But, a short distance away, in closer proximity to the immediate coast, 100F temps are practically non-existent:
Best city with no need of A/C & Heat-untitled.png

and average high temps don't break 90F:
Best city with no need of A/C & Heat-untitled2.png


Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And in all these cities, AC is the norm. How does it support your wild claims to show that much cooler, less humid cities have AC as the norm, yet you are claiming that AC is unnecessary somewhere like Houston? There would be huge numbers of dead in Houston if you got rid of AC, as was the case prior to introduction of AC (and which still happens during heat waves throughout the world).
Survival can happen in each of those cities without A/C. With the correct techniques, it can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Seriously. Who knew?

According to this thread, no need for AC in Houston, with its frequent 100 degree +, massive humidity days, the U.S. needs to replace its housing stock with "mud huts" and apparently everyone should obviously look to sub-Saharan Africa for tips on improving residential quality of life.
Not mud-huts. Instead, I am talking about houses that just happen to utilize the mud-brick architecture concept seen in Sub-Saharan Africa. Australia has many modern examples of such homes:
Mud brick | YourHome
http://www.ttarchitecture.com.au/ima...hero_large.jpg
http://imganuncios.mitula.net/immacu...5231410549.jpg

The properties of the building material ensure comfortable conditions in the home all without A/C.
 
Old 05-30-2015, 04:12 PM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
7,261 posts, read 4,494,437 times
Reputation: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
In the US the places where its comfortable year round without AC or heat is limited to coastal California.
I second that.

Maybe Superior, Arizona (east of Phoenix at 2900 ft ASL.
 
Old 05-30-2015, 04:16 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
They have A/C; doesn't mean that it is needed.
Of course it isn't technically "needed". Humans existed before the dawn of AC. But that's a stupid standard. Nothing is needed for human survival besides nutrients and water. Obviously we could just get rid of everything else and let society live like in the dark ages, and be OK with half the planet dying of disease and everyone dead by 40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
There are ways that one can keep comfortable in the coastal South without A/C, all without the huge energy bill.
No, there aren't. There are no ways one can be comfortable in 100 degree heat with crazy humidity without AC.

Everything else is just made-up nonsense, and not worth responding to. All the cities you mentioned use AC, and none are remotely similar to Houston weather. And the world isn't going to live in mud huts and adopt the lifestyle of dirt-poor sub-Saharan countries.
 
Old 05-30-2015, 04:18 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I second that.

Maybe Superior, Arizona (east of Phoenix at 2900 ft ASL.
Exactly. Pretty much just coastal CA and maybe a few super-specific locales out West.

And that's only for AC. People have heat on the CA coast, for the most part.
 
Old 05-30-2015, 04:18 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Reputation: 8936
Certain areas of Hawaii can be lived in comfortably without AC or heat too.
 
Old 05-30-2015, 05:00 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,197,912 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Of course it isn't technically "needed". Humans existed before the dawn of AC. But that's a stupid standard. Nothing is needed for human survival besides nutrients and water. Obviously we could just get rid of everything else and let society live like in the dark ages, and be OK with half the planet dying of disease and everyone dead by 40.
False analogy fallacy. Simply living without A/C in the South is not the same as letting society fall into the Dark Ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, there aren't. There are no ways one can be comfortable in 100 degree heat with crazy humidity without AC.

Everything else is just made-up nonsense, and not worth responding to. All the cities you mentioned use AC, and none are remotely similar to Houston weather. And the world isn't going to live in mud huts and adopt the lifestyle of dirt-poor sub-Saharan countries.
You are just goose-stepping. Go back and read each of the weather charts I linked for you; they confirm everything I've said in the previous post, and refute all your claims.

I already stated that actual houses will be built, not huts, just that they would utilize the mud-brick concept from Sub-Saharan Africa.

There are ways to keep a house cool without A/C:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5516182.html
http://www.motherearthliving.com/ene...z12jazmel.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top