U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 PM

9,701 posts, read 7,297,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
False analogy fallacy. Simply living without A/C in the South is not the same as letting society fall into the Dark Ages.
It isn't a false analogy; it's absolutely apt. Your claim was there was no need for AC in the most harsh warm-weather climates, because lacking AC doesn't mean automatic death.

Just because something won't kill everyone doesn't mean it's a tolerable situation. And that's basically why everyone in the coastal South, even dirt-poor, have AC. Because life would be hell without AC.
Quote:
You are just goose-stepping. Go back and read each of the weather charts I linked for you; they confirm everything I've said in the previous post, and refute all your claims.
I'm not sure why someone is a fascist if they believe the official weather stats around the world, and reject your lies that Houston has the same weather as places that are 30 degrees cooler with much lower humidity, but your fascism claim makes about as much sense as the rest of your claims (which is to say none).
Quote:
I already stated that actual houses will be built, not huts, just that they would utilize the mud-brick concept from Sub-Saharan Africa.
No one is going to utilize your fantasy "mud brick concept" from Zimbabwe. They will live in AC, and be comfortable, just like the rest of the developed world. People in Africa have AC too, provided they aren't dirt-poor.
Quote:
There are ways to keep a house cool without A/C
No there aren't. Not with current construction rules, and not with modern lifestyles. You can live in your mud hut in Lesotho and can get back to us on how it's working out for you.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:37 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,211,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It isn't a false analogy; it's absolutely apt. Your claim was there was no need for AC in the most harsh warm-weather climates, because lacking AC doesn't mean automatic death.

Just because something won't kill everyone doesn't mean it's a tolerable situation. And that's basically why everyone in the coastal South, even dirt-poor, have AC. Because life would be hell without AC.
Only except that the coastal South is not "the most harsh warm-weather climate" at all. Not by a long shot.

I'm guessing places like Cancun, Seychelles, Zanzibar, and the Carribean Isles all have harsh climates as well, by your definition?

Quote:
I'm not sure why someone is a fascist if they believe the official weather stats around the world, and reject your lies that Houston has the same weather as places that are 30 degrees cooler with much lower humidity, but your fascism claim makes about as much sense as the rest of your claims (which is to say none).
When I said "goose-stepping," I was just referring to the fact that you just basically ignored all the weather charts I posted, which support my claims, refute yours, and are OFFICIAL NWS weather stats. The only lies are coming from you.

Quote:
No one is going to utilize your fantasy "mud brick concept" from Zimbabwe. They will live in AC, and be comfortable, just like the rest of the developed world. People in Africa have AC too, provided they aren't dirt-poor.
Yes, but once they realize that such a concept, in conjunction with other proper designs for the climate, can allow for a comfortable home without the huge energy bill that A/C creates, they will take up the concept.

Quote:
No there aren't. Not with current construction rules, and not with modern lifestyles. You can live in your mud hut in Lesotho and can get back to us on how it's working out for you.
Current construction rules in the US illustrate the cheapness of the country; they ensure the constant construction of ugly, resource wasting McMansions. The country doesn't want to shell out the extra dollars to properly design a home that can be cool without needing A/C in the South, and can reduce energy consumption in much of the country.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 05-30-2015 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 07:33 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,279,940 times
Quote:

Central Houston has never recorded 20 days in a row of 100+ weather; the highest number of days was 18 in 2011, due to the effects of the worst drought in Texas history, and not even in a row either. It is, thus, not normal for Houston to have such heat every single year. Most years in Houston won't even reach 100F at all. So much for your out and out exaggeration of "many months of 100F weather.

Houston Breaks Record for 100-degree Days in Year

By the way-- I was there in Houston in 2011. The heat index was over 100 for two and a half months. It was not a dry heat. It was a humid, mosquito-infested sweat box. You are simply not telling the truth. Why?

Old 05-30-2015, 08:11 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,251,669 times
Quote:
Only except that the coastal South is not "the most harsh warm-weather climate" at all. Not by a long shot.

I'm guessing places like Cancun, Seychelles, Zanzibar, and the Carribean Isles all have harsh climates as well, by your definition?

When I said "goose-stepping," I was just referring to the fact that you just basically ignored all the weather charts I posted, which support my claims, refute yours, and are OFFICIAL NWS weather stats. The only lies are coming from you.

Yes, but once they realize that such a concept, in conjunction with other proper designs for the climate, can allow for a comfortable home without the huge energy bill that A/C creates, they will take up the concept.

Current construction rules in the US illustrate the cheapness of the country; they ensure the constant construction of ugly, resource wasting McMansions. The country doesn't want to shell out the extra dollars to properly design a home that can be cool without needing A/C in the South, and can reduce energy consumption in much of the country.
Yes, all those places you mentioned have uncomfortable climates. Tropical vacations look nice on paper, but the weather in these places is just as oppressive.

What IS the difference then between these vacation destinations and places like Houston, New Orleans, or Savannah? Well, for one, people on vacations in tropical climates are most likely wearing little more than a bikini or board shorts, they probably have a cold drink in hand, and they also probably aren't doing much more than lounging around, not using a lot of energy.

People don't go to Houston for this kind of experience, and the millions of people that live in the South probably have things to do, such as work, chores, errands, housework, etc.

I can almost guarantee you they are not doing all of these things in a bikini with a drink in their hand.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:21 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,868,155 times
I don't think that there's a single place in the lower 48 where most people would be comfortable with neither heat nor A/C. That said, there are places in the US that one can comfortably live without A/C in the Summer and extreme South Florida & the Keys where one can live without heat in the Winter.
Though I haven't been there, I hear that it's possible to live without either in Hawaii if one is well positioned to capture breezes.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,607,527 times
If you live directly on the coast in Miami you won't need AC. I can even guarantee anyone who claims to hate "heat" that if they sleep in my condo in Sunny Isles (which has a direct balcony to the ocean), all they will need to do is open the balcony doors. When I sleep there, I need a duvet (the wind's are so strong) and I'm sleeping in a bed with another person, so their body gives off heat.

If you're anywhere inland, the air becomes stagnant and I'd say you will need AC.

Last edited by SDPMiami; 05-30-2015 at 09:48 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 PM

10,623 posts, read 14,413,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

By the way-- I was there in Houston in 2011. The heat index was over 100 for two and a half months. It was not a dry heat. It was a humid, mosquito-infested sweat box. You are simply not telling the truth. Why?
Totally agree. I actually kept a brief weather blog here at CD (and still accessible) that recorded the temps in Houston/Memphis/Bristol for about nine months or so. The temps I recorded also were fairly typical of what I experienced living in Houston back in the 80's too, hot and sweaty, lol.
6/27/11- Houston 100F /dew point 72F / heat index 118F
6/19/11- Houston 92.5F /dew point 75F / heat index 104F
6/14/11- Houston 96F /dew point 73F / heat index 106F
6/13/11- Houston 99F /dew point 71F / heat index 108F
8/29/10- Houston 94.%F dewpoint 80F heat index 113F
8/21/10- Houston 100F dewpoint 74F heat index 112F
8/15/10- Houston 90F dewpoint 80F heat index 108F
8/01/10- Houston 102F dewpoint 80F heat index 110F
I don't care how you stretch it, that is not a 'dry' heat, nor is it comfortable for 'most' people.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:29 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,211,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

There are no lies. The article is referring to temps recorded at Bush IAH, the designated weather station for Houston. The station went on to record 46 days with with 100F+ temps in 2011. However, closer to the Gulf at Hobby Airport, the airport nearer to Houston central, that number drops to 18 days of such temps in 2011. Most years don't reach 100F at all. Locations along Galveston Bay, and the Gulf only saw one such day that year; 100F temps are rare in those parts of the Houston metro. Ocean moderation at work.

Houston IAH:
Attachment 150949

Data for Hobby and Bay Area here:
Best city with no need of A/C & Heat

As far as the kind of heat during 2011, here:
Weather History for Houston, TX | Weather Underground

Dewpoints for the month were down into the low 60s, as low as upper 50s. Afternoon relative humidity levels were no higher than the upper 30% range, and, on the hottest day, were as low as 21%! Keep in mind that the average afternoon relative humidity levels for Houston are in the 60% range.

So Houston is not going to have such high temps, and then keep its typical humidity levels; that just doesn't happen. Because of the desert origin of the high pressure that caused such abnormal high temps and drought in Houston, conditions would be much drier than normal in regards to humidity and dew-point. Even if not quite desert-style "dry-heat;" conditions were still quite dry relative to typical summer levels.

So, its either one or the other for Houston; either 100F temps, but with lower humidity/dewpoint levels than is typical, or upper 80F-lower 90F temps with the typical high humidity/dewpoints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeOrange View Post
Yes, all those places you mentioned have uncomfortable climates. Tropical vacations look nice on paper, but the weather in these places is just as oppressive.

What IS the difference then between these vacation destinations and places like Houston, New Orleans, or Savannah? Well, for one, people on vacations in tropical climates are most likely wearing little more than a bikini or board shorts, they probably have a cold drink in hand, and they also probably aren't doing much more than lounging around, not using a lot of energy.

People don't go to Houston for this kind of experience, and the millions of people that live in the South probably have things to do, such as work, chores, errands, housework, etc.

I can almost guarantee you they are not doing all of these things in a bikini with a drink in their hand.
The thing with living in subtropical/tropical climates is that certain lifestyle changes are needed to maximize comfort from the experience, even if it means changes all the way down to the attire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Totally agree. I actually kept a brief weather blog here at CD (and still accessible) that recorded the temps in Houston/Memphis/Bristol for about nine months or so. The temps I recorded also were fairly typical of what I experienced living in Houston back in the 80's too, hot and sweaty, lol.
6/27/11- Houston 100F /dew point 72F / heat index 118F
6/19/11- Houston 92.5F /dew point 75F / heat index 104F
6/14/11- Houston 96F /dew point 73F / heat index 106F
6/13/11- Houston 99F /dew point 71F / heat index 108F
8/29/10- Houston 94.%F dewpoint 80F heat index 113F
8/21/10- Houston 100F dewpoint 74F heat index 112F
8/15/10- Houston 90F dewpoint 80F heat index 108F
8/01/10- Houston 102F dewpoint 80F heat index 110F
I don't care how you stretch it, that is not a 'dry' heat, nor is it comfortable for 'most' people.
Your data is all wrong:

Old 05-31-2015, 03:57 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,279,940 times
Quote:
There are no lies. The article is referring to temps recorded at Bush IAH, the designated weather station for Houston. The station went on to record 46 days with with 100F+ temps in 2011. However, closer to the Gulf at Hobby Airport, the airport nearer to Houston central, that number drops to 18 days of such temps in 2011. Most years don't reach 100F at all. Locations along Galveston Bay, and the Gulf only saw one such day that year; 100F temps are rare in those parts of the Houston metro. Ocean moderation at work.

Houston IAH:
Attachment 150949

Data for Hobby and Bay Area here:
Best city with no need of A/C & Heat

As far as the kind of heat during 2011, here:

Dewpoints for the month were down into the low 60s, as low as upper 50s. Afternoon relative humidity levels were no higher than the upper 30% range, and, on the hottest day, were as low as 21%! Keep in mind that the average afternoon relative humidity levels for Houston are in the 60% range.

So Houston is not going to have such high temps, and then keep its typical humidity levels; that just doesn't happen. Because of the desert origin of the high pressure that caused such abnormal high temps and drought in Houston, conditions would be much drier than normal in regards to humidity and dew-point. Even if not quite desert-style "dry-heat;" conditions were still quite dry relative to typical summer levels.

So, its either one or the other for Houston; either 100F temps, but with lower humidity/dewpoint levels than is typical, or upper 80F-lower 90F temps with the typical high humidity/dewpoints.

The thing with living in subtropical/tropical climates is that certain lifestyle changes are needed to maximize comfort from the experience, even if it means changes all the way down to the attire.

Your data is all wrong:
I lived in Houston for more than 20 years, including the summer of 2011, which was spent within five miles of Hobby Airport. Do you honestly think you can reference your own posts and convince anyone else of this delusion of yours?

Old 05-31-2015, 06:23 AM

10,623 posts, read 14,413,933 times
I don't know what to tell you except that those temps were pulled from the same source (Wunderground) ON the actual day they happened. Most of those have a time frame reference in my blog. I don't make this stuff up.
Maybe they were pulled from a different Houston weather station at the time. It happens, as there are a couple of stations in my area at this very moment that show slightly different temps too. The station I'm set to now, KTNBRIST2, shows 71F but the station 9 miles from here, KTNBLOUN4, shows 66F. I doubt either one is 'wrong', just affected by different local factors.

6/27/11 a difference of three degrees between your stats and mine, not much, until you throw in the dew point, making the heat index 118F and so on and so forth for the rest of your links. Sorry I stand by my statement that Houston is HOT and MUGGY and uncomfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or