U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2015, 12:02 PM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,482,199 times
Reputation: 3543

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't know what to tell you except that those temps were pulled from the same source (Wunderground) ON the actual day they happened. Most of those have a time frame reference in my blog. I don't make this stuff up.
Maybe they were pulled from a different Houston weather station at the time. It happens, as there are a couple of stations in my area at this very moment that show slightly different temps too. The station I'm set to now, KTNBRIST2, shows 71F but the station 9 miles from here, KTNBLOUN4, shows 66F. I doubt either one is 'wrong', just affected by different local factors.

6/27/11 a difference of three degrees between your stats and mine, not much, until you throw in the dew point, making the heat index 118F and so on and so forth for the rest of your links. Sorry I stand by my statement that Houston is HOT and MUGGY and uncomfortable.
And water is wet. Our friend needs to seek shade.

 
Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,197,388 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I lived in Houston for more than 20 years, including the summer of 2011, which was spent within five miles of Hobby Airport. Do you honestly think you can reference your own posts and convince anyone else of this delusion of yours?
No need to say anything really; the charts and links I provided already speak for themselves.

It's also worth noting that a significant portion of Houston's heat is artificial; all that concrete sprawl, and car exhaust would no doubt rise temp averages quite a bit through UHI. If Houston were to mitigate such UHI, through acts like skyscraper gardening, or planting grass on roadways, summer temp averages would go down markedly; highs in the hottest month probably wouldn't even reach into the 90F range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't know what to tell you except that those temps were pulled from the same source (Wunderground) ON the actual day they happened. Most of those have a time frame reference in my blog. I don't make this stuff up.
Maybe they were pulled from a different Houston weather station at the time. It happens, as there are a couple of stations in my area at this very moment that show slightly different temps too. The station I'm set to now, KTNBRIST2, shows 71F but the station 9 miles from here, KTNBLOUN4, shows 66F. I doubt either one is 'wrong', just affected by different local factors.

6/27/11 a difference of three degrees between your stats and mine, not much, until you throw in the dew point, making the heat index 118F and so on and so forth for the rest of your links. Sorry I stand by my statement that Houston is HOT and MUGGY and uncomfortable.
The heat indices were already calculated on the links I provided.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Baghdad by the Bay (San Francisco, California)
3,530 posts, read 4,262,848 times
Reputation: 3145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
No need to say anything really; the charts and links I provided already speak for themselves.

It's also worth noting that a significant portion of Houston's heat is artificial; all that concrete sprawl, and car exhaust would no doubt rise temp averages quite a bit through UHI. If Houston were to mitigate such UHI, through acts like skyscraper gardening, or planting grass on roadways, summer temp averages would go down markedly; highs in the hottest month probably wouldn't even reach into the 90F range.


I won't dispute this. But you could likewise make a case for building giant orbiting space baffles that redirect sunlight, mitigate humidity and channel Arctic breezes, skipping over the Plains into the Gulf. The topic is, "best city with no need of A/C & Heat".

Cities like San Francisco and San Diego are excellent places to live without climate control, even without uprooting all the pavement, changing the design of hundreds of existing highrises, employing non-existent technology that you have dreamed up to compensate for Houston's terrible climate. They are clearly "better" in this capacity, wouldn't you agree?

And by the way, 90s temps in Houston's humidity is still uncomfortable to the point of requiring air conditioning.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 12:17 AM
 
2,639 posts, read 5,215,614 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post

If a person makes $400k in California, I guarantee you that's chump change in Boston, MA while you'll live like a king in Washington State or Nevada.

Let's look at a more fair comparison: a national comparison.

If you make at least $100k, you're in the top 20%. If you make at least $150k, you're in the top 10%. Getting to 1% is slightly harder at over $550k, but the thing is, you're not buying a house in La Jolla or Del Mar on the coastline making $150k and you will struggle buying one with $550k salary.

Del Mar CA Real Estate - 42 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Yeah, okay.

Coronado CA Real Estate - 180 Homes For Sale | Zillow

Uh huh. No.

I mean why don't you get on this? They only bumped the price 5million bucks. Ventura, CA.

3102 Solimar Beach Dr, Ventura, CA 93001 is For Sale | Zillow
 
Old 06-01-2015, 07:09 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Reputation: 9846
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
If a person makes $400k in California, I guarantee you that's chump change in Boston, MA while you'll live like a king in Washington State or Nevada.
LOL, no.

400k salary isn't "chump change" anywhere on the planet. There is no city in the U.S. where the average salary is even half that. There is no city in the U.S. where the median household income is close to that.

And you wouldn't live any different within the U.S. That makes no sense. All of the U.S. uses the same currency, and basically everything costs the same except for real estate.
 
Old 06-01-2015, 07:26 AM
 
2,998 posts, read 4,699,156 times
Reputation: 2106
San Diego by far
 
Old 06-03-2015, 03:07 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,197,388 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I won't dispute this. But you could likewise make a case for building giant orbiting space baffles that redirect sunlight, mitigate humidity and channel Arctic breezes, skipping over the Plains into the Gulf. The topic is, "best city with no need of A/C & Heat".

Cities like San Francisco and San Diego are excellent places to live without climate control, even without uprooting all the pavement, changing the design of hundreds of existing highrises, employing non-existent technology that you have dreamed up to compensate for Houston's terrible climate. They are clearly "better" in this capacity, wouldn't you agree?

And by the way, 90s temps in Houston's humidity is still uncomfortable to the point of requiring air conditioning.
Those methods I describe though mitigate the unnaturally warmer temps caused by UHI, making them more natural, while the methods you bring up completely cancel out natural effects; false analogy on your part.

A large amount of the heat (and resulting uncomfort) people experience in Houston is due precisely to such an extreme case of UHI when compared to San Francisco, or San Diego, with all that concrete sprawl where loads of cars drive, spewing polluting exhaust. The petro-chemical complexes in the metro area along parts of Galveston Bay don't help either. However, even with such UHI, the average high for central Houston in the hottest month comes up to 92F, which is already not all that hot; even Cancun is warmer on its hottest month. So, if Houston's UHI is mitigated in any way, summers would be that much more comfortable, probably not even getting out of the upper 80s.

There are specific structural requirements needed to design a house to be comfortable without A/C in hot, humid climates, no doubt. But houses in both San Francisco and San Diego would also need their own specific designs to achieve true comfort without A/C in their own climates. Perhaps not as much design specifics as locations in the South, but nevertheless, specific designs required to keep the home comfortable without A/C.

The thing with "best" is that there are different "bests" for different people; if someone wants to live in a home without A/C, but also wants frequent summer thunderstorms, then none of the West Coast cities would be considered "best" at all. Houston, New Orleans, Charleston, etc all would be better for that person.

Last edited by Yn0hTnA; 06-03-2015 at 03:23 PM..
 
Old 06-03-2015, 05:03 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 7,244,373 times
Reputation: 9846
Is there anyone on this thread besides Yn0hTnA who believes that AC isn't needed in 100 degree weather and 100% humidity? If not, what is the point of this thread. It's one guy trolling about building mud huts in Texas.
 
Old 06-03-2015, 05:24 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
But houses in both San Francisco and San Diego would also need their own specific designs to achieve true comfort without A/C in their own climates. Perhaps not as much design specifics as locations in the South, but nevertheless, specific designs required to keep the home comfortable without A/C.
Yeah windows and some fans....such specific design challenges there lol
 
Old 06-03-2015, 10:58 PM
 
Location: A subtropical paradise
2,069 posts, read 2,197,388 times
Reputation: 1329
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Is there anyone on this thread besides Yn0hTnA who believes that AC isn't needed in 100 degree weather and 100% humidity? If not, what is the point of this thread. It's one guy trolling about building mud huts in Texas.
Impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah windows and some fans....such specific design challenges there lol
If you want true comfort in a home without A/C, it takes more than just windows and fans, even in coastal California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top