U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-15-2015, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Reputation: 10536

Advertisements

Even though it's further south, San Diego is cooler than LA in the summertime. Normal highs aren't above the high 70s. And in the winter time, normal overnight lows seldom drop below the high 40s. Provided you lived in a house which was constructed for the climate, I'd think you'd do fine without AC or heat in a place like that.

Edit: Even then, you'd want to live near the water. Live even 10 miles inland and you'll have colder winters and warmer summers.

 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,597,041 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Even though it's further south, San Diego is cooler than LA in the summertime. Normal highs aren't above the high 70s. And in the winter time, normal overnight lows seldom drop below the high 40s. Provided you lived in a house which was constructed for the climate, I'd think you'd do fine without AC or heat in a place like that.

Edit: Even then, you'd want to live near the water. Live even 10 miles inland and you'll have colder winters and warmer summers.
If you live on the coast in San Diego, like I did, you will definitely want heat in the winter. Even in the low 50s with wind, and dampness (and rain) it feels extremely cold. I cannot describe it. It's damp though and it cuts through you.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:07 PM
 
121 posts, read 120,392 times
Reputation: 173
Oakland, Ca

San Jose, Ca
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:11 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Even though it's further south, San Diego is cooler than LA in the summertime. Normal highs aren't above the high 70s. And in the winter time, normal overnight lows seldom drop below the high 40s. Provided you lived in a house which was constructed for the climate, I'd think you'd do fine without AC or heat in a place like that.

Edit: Even then, you'd want to live near the water. Live even 10 miles inland and you'll have colder winters and warmer summers.
No it''s not, it's pretty much the same. With the exception of Long Beach as it faces south, coastal LA is pretty much the same as coastal SD.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:19 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
If you live on the coast in San Diego, like I did, you will definitely want heat in the winter. Even in the low 50s with wind, and dampness (and rain) it feels extremely cold. I cannot describe it. It's damp though and it cuts through you.
It always felt a little warmer directly on the beach than at my apartment 8 blocks inland at night in winter IMO. No offense but you seem kind of like a pansy when it comes to somewhat "chilly" weather. I mean "extremely cold", really? Lol
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,416 posts, read 11,917,166 times
Reputation: 10536
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No it''s not, it's pretty much the same. With the exception of Long Beach as it faces south, coastal LA is pretty much the same as coastal SD.
Wikipedia says the average high is above 80 degrees in LA in July, August, and September. Those months have highs in the mid 70s in San Diego.

Of course, that's comparing Downtown LA to San Diego International Airport. It looks like LAX is significantly colder - actually a few degrees cooler than San Diego International Airport. Western microclimates confuse me.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,597,041 times
Reputation: 722
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
It always felt a little warmer directly on the beach than at my apartment 8 blocks inland at night in winter IMO. No offense but you seem kind of like a pansy when it comes to somewhat "chilly" weather. I mean "extremely cold", really? Lol
Maybe the temperature is lower by a couple degrees but it's less windy and damp. I do remember that whenever those rain storms hit, the water side would definitely be violently windy, I'd sometimes close my eyes and imagine I was on a ship stranded in a storm.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:03 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,461 posts, read 25,405,649 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Wikipedia says the average high is above 80 degrees in LA in July, August, and September. Those months have highs in the mid 70s in San Diego.

Of course, that's comparing Downtown LA to San Diego International Airport. It looks like LAX is significantly colder - actually a few degrees cooler than San Diego International Airport. Western microclimates confuse me.
Downtown LA is 15 miles inland from the ocean, Downtown San Diego is directly on San Diego Bay so it's not really an even comparison; one location is inland while the other is coastal. The SD suburb of La Mesa is more comparable to Downtown LA as far as climate as it's a similar distance inland from the ocean.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 PM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,833,379 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
You can live in the entire South without the need for A/C, contrary to popular belief. However, many places get long enough chilly weather to warrant heating use. The entire coastal section of the region, however, can easily be lived in without the need of A/C and Heat. I have a thread that discusses the techniques that make such living possible:
You can live in the South without AC or Heat
Eskimoes live in igloos without a heater too.
 
Old 05-15-2015, 08:33 PM
 
1,938 posts, read 2,857,017 times
Reputation: 2676
Seattle has no need for air conditioner and only a small need for heat. I don't own a winter coat at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top