Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:51 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times

Advertisements

My husband interviewed for a job in Vermillion years ago, after attending grad school in New York state. I actually liked it back then, but we were just starting out. He eventually got a job in Sioux City. I worked a job that took me to Sioux Falls, Yankton, Brookings and a few other places regularly. While we were happy enough, you couldn't pay me to return. In the end, we just didn't ever click with the area. I disliked the weather (way too hot & humid in the summer, bitter cold in the winter) and tornadoes. I drove down the Interstate a few times with funnels dropping out of the clouds in the distance--there simply was nowhere to stop to seek shelter. I love to be near water, having grown up on the Great Lakes, and there was nothing but farm-runoff-choked rivers and resevoirs with tepid, knee deep water. We also used to do quite a lot of hiking in the woods, which were few & far between. When we were there, Sioux Falls was undergoing rapid, large-scale growth, but I never enjoyed my time there. I do realize that so much has to do with what I am used to. There were really great things about the area--I LOVED Stone State Park in Sioux City, the baseball team, how cheap pork was. We had an amazing Vietnamese restaurant in town. But the downsides eventually made us realize it wasn't where we wanted to raise our kids. If I had to choose, it would be, hands down, Binghamton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 04:53 PM

186 posts, read 448,933 times
Hi Everyone!

I was going to post a question, but didn't want to start a new thread. Is it okay to ask here since this is newer and active?

My husband works from home (for an actual large company, not self employed or anything), and we are looking to relocate from Charlotte. We are looking for a lower cost of living, lower crime, and more of a small town feel while being close to major things (like the zoo, a medical center, etc.). We have been priced out of living in any of the charming suburbs here, and from what we are seeing, it looks like decent houses in good neighborhoods go for around $150k there, are we correct in believing that?

We are considering Owego and Vestal. We were super impressed with the school ratings compared to ours here. Our 5 year old daughter starts kindergarten in the fall, and it has been a fight to get her transferred to a good school with a special ed program (she has Down syndrome).

Also, we have two adopted Ethiopian children. Are people okay with mixed race families? We actually get flack here in the South for it, and we are so tired of the comments.

I really appreciate your help! My husband is a Syracuse grad and knows that area pretty well but not the Binghamton area. Thank you!!!!!

Old 06-26-2015, 08:15 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv4ThePaws View Post
Hi Everyone!

I was going to post a question, but didn't want to start a new thread. Is it okay to ask here since this is newer and active?

My husband works from home (for an actual large company, not self employed or anything), and we are looking to relocate from Charlotte. We are looking for a lower cost of living, lower crime, and more of a small town feel while being close to major things (like the zoo, a medical center, etc.). We have been priced out of living in any of the charming suburbs here, and from what we are seeing, it looks like decent houses in good neighborhoods go for around $150k there, are we correct in believing that?

We are considering Owego and Vestal. We were super impressed with the school ratings compared to ours here. Our 5 year old daughter starts kindergarten in the fall, and it has been a fight to get her transferred to a good school with a special ed program (she has Down syndrome).

Also, we have two adopted Ethiopian children. Are people okay with mixed race families? We actually get flack here in the South for it, and we are so tired of the comments.

I really appreciate your help! My husband is a Syracuse grad and knows that area pretty well but not the Binghamton area. Thank you!!!!!
I think Vestal is fine, if not perfect due to the very good schools, the Binghamton University presence in the town and there is plenty of shopping. You may even like the SW portion of the city of Binghamton, close to Vestal, which has a good public elementary school. Binghamton schools will be more diverse and offers some good programs, but results may vary depending on the school and student. There are private/Catholic options as well in the city. Futures Video

Vestal Central School District Home

Featured Videos @ Seton Catholic Central

You may also want to look into Maine-Endwell or nicer parts(generally to the north in both areas) of the Union-Endicott and Johnson City school districts, with both being pretty diverse racially/ethnically in comparison to most districts in the area and in terms of urban/suburban/even rural. Maine-Endwell Central School District Home

Union-Endicott Central School District Home

http://www.jcschools.com

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-26-2015 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-29-2015, 06:13 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think Vestal is fine, if not perfect due to the very good schools, the Binghamton University presence in the town and there is plenty of shopping. You may even like the SW portion of the city of Binghamton, close to Vestal, which has a good public elementary school. Binghamton schools will be more diverse and offers some good programs, but results may vary depending on the school and student. There are private/Catholic options as well in the city. Futures Video

Vestal Central School District Home

Featured Videos @ Seton Catholic Central

You may also want to look into Maine-Endwell or nicer parts(generally to the north in both areas) of the Union-Endicott and Johnson City school districts, with both being pretty diverse racially/ethnically in comparison to most districts in the area and in terms of urban/suburban/even rural. Maine-Endwell Central School District Home

Union-Endicott Central School District Home

Johnson City Central Schools - Main Page
Something I just found out was that Johnson City while having the second highest Black percentage in the area in terms of student enrollment, it also has a Black graduation rate above the national and state average. So, that may be something to consider. 2014 | JOHNSON CITY SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL - Graduation Rate | New York State Education Department Data Site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.