U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-15-2015, 02:17 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,221 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Hi, Job situation has made me consider moving to one of these two places - Sioux Falls, SD and Binghamton, NY. Other than reading on the web, I am clueless about these places. Wanted to ask if anyone here has strong opinions about either of them. I will be moving with family, kids schools and things to do will be important considerations.

I will appreciate help.

-John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2015, 03:05 PM
 
56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
Is it Vermilion or Sioux Falls in terms of the South Dakota location?

Also, in terms of schools in the Binghamton area, look into Vestal, Maine-Endwell and Union-Endicott, among suburban SD's(Chenango Valley, Susquehanna Valley and Johnson City). Endicott does more of an urban feel though. Same with Johnson City, which is just west of Binghamton.

Binghamton does have a zoo(the 5th oldest in the US), minor league baseball and Division 1 sports at Binghamton University. There's an opera and orchestra, as well as some museums. It is about an hour south of Syracuse and about same in terms of distance from mountains(the Catskills and the Poconos). NYC and Philadelphia are about 2 and a half/3 hours away.

Now that I think about it, Vermilion is home to the University of South Dakota. So, I'm assuming that the Binghamton position is at Binghamton University, which is actually in Vestal.

What else are you looking for in a community?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 07:32 PM
 
7 posts, read 5,221 times
Reputation: 15
Yes, USD and BU. Both schools are probably similar with their own pros and cons. Once I read about the crime and drugs in Binghamton, I wonder if it is a good place to work. As for schools, I was impressed with Ithaca (at least by reading online), but am not sure how the commute will be from there to Binghamton, esp in the winter - is it doable? I haven't researched South Dakota that much. Wonder how the schools are, and good areas to live. Weather should be comparable at both places, I am guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 PM
 
56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy007 View Post
Yes, USD and BU. Both schools are probably similar with their own pros and cons. Once I read about the crime and drugs in Binghamton, I wonder if it is a good place to work. As for schools, I was impressed with Ithaca (at least by reading online), but am not sure how the commute will be from there to Binghamton, esp in the winter - is it doable? I haven't researched South Dakota that much. Wonder how the schools are, and good areas to live. Weather should be comparable at both places, I am guessing.
Binghamton is a metro of about 250,000 and has one of the lowest crime rates for a metro in the country. There are parts of the city that are good and relatively bad, but unlike Vermilion, you actually have suburban options in the area too.

Binghamton University most likely has a higher academic ranking than the University of South Dakota. Take a look.

As far as public schools, Vestal is usually in the top 25 in the Buffalo Business Journal's Upstate NY School District rankings, with Maine-Endwell not too far behind. There are also Catholic school options with Seton Catholic Central location on Binghamton's West Side(south of Main Street): Seton Catholic Central

https://m.facebook.com/binghamtonwsn...binghamtonwsnp
West Side, Binghamton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


As for a commute from Ithaca, I wouldn't want to do it due to a lack of direct highway access. If you want something urban and don't want or feel comfortable with Binghamton(preferably look into the West Side of Main or the western half of the Southside for the nicest neighborhoods), look into either Endicott(especially West and North Sides of the village), Johnson City(either north of Main/I-86 or south of Floral) or maybe even Owego. Binghamton, Endicott, Johnson City and even Vestal will have a notable degree of cultural diversity as well.

Vestal and Johnson City will have the bulk of the big box shopping in the area. Vestal will have more upscale and "regular" shopping, while Johnson City has the area's only shopping mall and Wegman's.

More info: Binghamton, NY : Car Free America

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-15-2015 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,704 posts, read 2,762,345 times
Reputation: 2335
Vermillion is actually much closer to Sioux City than Sioux Falls. It's a small town on the Nebraska border, not really part of the Sioux Falls area at all.

It's a nice enough town though. I personally think Brookings (where SDSU is) is the better of the two state college towns in South Dakota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2015, 07:51 PM
 
56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Binghamton is a metro of about 250,000 and has one of the lowest crime rates for a metro in the country. There are parts of the city that are good and relatively bad, but unlike Vermilion, you actually have suburban options in the area too.

Binghamton University most likely has a higher academic ranking than the University of South Dakota. Take a look.

As far as public schools, Vestal is usually in the top 25 in the Buffalo Business Journal's Upstate NY School District rankings, with Maine-Endwell not too far behind. There are also Catholic school options with Seton Catholic Central location on Binghamton's West Side(south of Main Street): Seton Catholic Central

https://m.facebook.com/binghamtonwsn...binghamtonwsnp
West Side, Binghamton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


As for a commute from Ithaca, I wouldn't want to do it due to a lack of direct highway access. If you want something urban and don't want or feel comfortable with Binghamton(preferably look into the West Side of Main or the western half of the Southside for the nicest neighborhoods), look into either Endicott(especially West and North Sides of the village), Johnson City(either north of Main/I-86 or south of Floral) or maybe even Owego. Binghamton, Endicott, Johnson City and even Vestal will have a notable degree of cultural diversity as well.

Vestal and Johnson City will have the bulk of the big box shopping in the area. Vestal will have more upscale and "regular" shopping, while Johnson City has the area's only shopping mall and Wegman's.

More info: Binghamton, NY : Car Free America
Here is some school info for areas that have been mentioned: Vestal Central School District Home

Johnson City Central Schools - Main Page

Maine-Endwell Central School District Home

Union-Endicott Central School District Home

Binghamton City School District Home
Futures Video

Chenango Valley Central School District Home

Susquehanna Valley Central School District

Featured Videos @ Seton Catholic Central

Owego Apalachin Central School District

Owego is in Tioga County, while the others are in Broome County. Both counties have other school districts too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-16-2015 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2015, 04:23 PM
 
56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
You may be interested in this too: BingSpot | Downtown Binghamton News, Restaurants, Arts, Bars, Living

Binghamton CVB | The Official Binghamton Tourism Website

Broome County Carousels and Ride the Carousel Circuit | Broome County, NY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2015, 11:30 AM
 
3 posts, read 2,227 times
Reputation: 15
I wanted to chime in and say I commuted from Ithaca to Binghamton for over a year, and it absolutely destroys you. Especially in the winter, the commute can take up to 2hours. I think you should consider neighborhoods within Bingo. I live in Endwell and love it. I also love Vestal and Owego. Don't listen to all the crap about drugs and crime, you really don't see it in good neighborhoods. The city has everything Ithaca has, except it's more spread out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2015, 01:44 PM
 
56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayaEs25534 View Post
I wanted to chime in and say I commuted from Ithaca to Binghamton for over a year, and it absolutely destroys you. Especially in the winter, the commute can take up to 2hours. I think you should consider neighborhoods within Bingo. I live in Endwell and love it. I also love Vestal and Owego. Don't listen to all the crap about drugs and crime, you really don't see it in good neighborhoods. The city has everything Ithaca has, except it's more spread out.
Thank You! I agree and Binghamton is a bigger metro than Ithaca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2015, 02:39 PM
 
Location: Calera, AL
1,161 posts, read 1,442,021 times
Reputation: 1569
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Vermillion is actually much closer to Sioux City than Sioux Falls. It's a small town on the Nebraska border, not really part of the Sioux Falls area at all.

It's a nice enough town though. I personally think Brookings (where SDSU is) is the better of the two state college towns in South Dakota.
Vermillion isn't significantly closer to Sioux City, it's about a 45 minute drive. It's about an hour to Sioux Falls.

Regardless, Vermillion doesn't have much going for it. It's remote, it's tiny, and USD is about the only thing of note. Even Yankton (about 30 minutes due west) is more interesting IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top