U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia or Louisiana?
Georgia 48 66.67%
Louisiana 24 33.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:18 AM

29,968 posts, read 27,489,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Louisiana has the swamps which are far more unique than mountains. And I'm in Helen at the moment so I'm in the mountains. It's really beautiful though.
Georgia has swamps too...or more specifically, one really big, ecologically-significant swamp covering 700 square miles: The Okefenokee Swamp Homepage - Okefenokee Guided Tours and NewsOkefenokee.com | The Okefenokee Swamp Home Page

With that, mountains, and beaches, Georgia easily takes the nature category.

Quote:
Festivals is pretty easily Louisiana.
Of course people are more familiar with the festivals in NOLA in particular, but what are some other notable festivals in other parts of Louisiana? I know in Georgia, some of the notable festivals outside of Atlanta include St. Patty's Day in Savannah (one of the nation's largest with well over half a million attendees), the oldest Oktoberfest in the Southeast in Helen (40K attendees), the Apple Festival in Ellijay (50K attendees), the Gold Rush Festival in Dahlonega (200K attendees), and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:40 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,944,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj0065 View Post
I'm sure Georgia is more than just Atlanta but that doesn't mean what I said isn't true. Louisiana has just as many interesting places and things as Georgia yet it won't be judged fairly because people on city data will just say Georgia because they have preconceived notions of Louisiana and because it has Atlanta which is considered the top city of the south.

I'm just saying...when you look closely though Louisiana is much more unique, has much better food. It is more affordable. Louisiana has way more festivals year round. Hunting and fishing I'm not sure. Louisiana is known as "Sportsman's Paradise". Not sure about GA in that category.

1. Weather- GA
2. Crime- GA
3. Nature- Louisiana
4. Hunting and Fishing Areas- Tie?
5. Quality of Festivals- Louisiana
6. Hospitality- Tie?
7. Cost of living- Louisiana
8. Culture- Louisiana

If you look at the poll it looks like GA blows Louisiana out of the water for these categories when its really not like that at all.
These are just your opinions....there is no need to state them as if they are facts.

You don't think Georgia is judged unfairly on city-data? It is judged as harshly as Louisiana, and the fact that Georgia is winning in a landslide shows just how much better the perception of Georgia really is.

Louisiana doesn't have "way more festivals" than Georgia...I would estimate just the opposite, that Georgia has more. Atlanta alone probably has more than all of Louisiana.

I personally don't care for the culture of Louisiana. Uniqueness doesn't make it better, and Georgia has some pretty unique culture as well.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:06 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,174,643 times
Of all the southern states, I'd have to say that Georgia is quite possibly at the bottom when it comes to food. It just isn't their strong point. That's not to say that the food is bad, it's just that much better in the other states. So it may not be a fact, but I think most would agree that Louisiana has better food. It's not even that close, in my opinion.

Festivals? Another clear advantage for Louisiana. Georgia may have more in number, but Louisiana is known globally for its culture of parties and festivals.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:57 PM

287 posts, read 266,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Georgia has swamps too...or more specifically, one really big, ecologically-significant swamp covering 700 square miles: The Okefenokee Swamp Homepage - Okefenokee Guided Tours and NewsOkefenokee.com | The Okefenokee Swamp Home Page

Of course people are more familiar with the festivals in NOLA in particular, but what are some other notable festivals in other parts of Louisiana? I know in Georgia, some of the notable festivals outside of Atlanta include St. Patty's Day in Savannah (one of the nation's largest with well over half a million attendees), the oldest Oktoberfest in the Southeast in Helen (40K attendees), the Apple Festival in Ellijay (50K attendees), the Gold Rush Festival in Dahlonega (200K attendees), and more.
Jazz Festival- New Orleans
Essence Festival- New Orleans
Mardi Gras Festival(celebrated all over the state)
Crawfish Festival- Breaux Bridge
Rice Festival- Crowley
Festival International de Louisiana- Lafayette
Voodoo Festival- New Orleans
Boudin Festival- Scott
Southern Decadence- New Orleans
Contraband Days Festival- Lake Charles

There are many more held throughout the year and just the first three are more notable than anything you listed for GA in the festival category.

Also Louisiana has the wetlands which are very important and the Atchafalaya Basin which is the largest in the United States. Kisatchie National Forest has great hiking, fishing, etc. Toledo Bend Reservoir is great for fishing and such. Also the Vermillion Bay, Grand Isle(which does have a beach) and other areas of the state.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:00 PM

287 posts, read 266,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
These are just your opinions....there is no need to state them as if they are facts.

You don't think Georgia is judged unfairly on city-data? It is judged as harshly as Louisiana, and the fact that Georgia is winning in a landslide shows just how much better the perception of Georgia really is.

Louisiana doesn't have "way more festivals" than Georgia...I would estimate just the opposite, that Georgia has more. Atlanta alone probably has more than all of Louisiana.

I personally don't care for the culture of Louisiana. Uniqueness doesn't make it better, and Georgia has some pretty unique culture as well.
Well I'm willing to bet if there was a poll asking which is more unique and has better food Louisiana would be the favorite.

What's unique about Georgia's culture?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Jazz Festival- New Orleans
Essence Festival- New Orleans
Mardi Gras Festival(celebrated all over the state)
Crawfish Festival- Breaux Bridge
Rice Festival- Crowley
Festival International de Louisiana- Lafayette
Voodoo Festival- New Orleans
Boudin Festival- Scott
Southern Decadence- New Orleans
Contraband Days Festival- Lake Charles

There are many more held throughout the year and just the first three are more notable than anything you listed for GA in the festival category.

Also Louisiana has the wetlands which are very important and the Atchafalaya Basin which is the largest in the United States. Kisatchie National Forest has great hiking, fishing, etc. Toledo Bend Reservoir is great for fishing and such. Also the Vermillion Bay, Grand Isle(which does have a beach) and other areas of the state.
I didn't list any in Atlanta, and St. Patty's Day in Savannah is just as notable as those first three. But I was specifically asking about festivals in LA outside of NOLA, since most are familiar with the ones held there.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:24 PM

14,157 posts, read 19,808,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

It's not that large compared to the Atchafalaya Basin, not to mention that's only one area.
Each state has a variety of nature options, I was just stating that swamps are more unique than mountains.

Festival International in Lafayette draws nearly 400,000 people over a week or two. Contraband Days in Lake Charles draws 200,000 people overa 12 day period. Southern Decadence in New Orleans drew over 160,000 people last year.

I just came back from SOWO in Helen today.
Quote:

Good question.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
It's not that large compared to the Atchafalaya Basin, not to mention that's only one area.
Each state has a variety of nature options, I was just stating that swamps are more unique than mountains.
But it's still large, ecologically significant, and the only swamp of its kind on the continent. I was just pointing out that Georgia has greater variety in the nature department.

Quote:
Festival International in Lafayette draws nearly 400,000 people over a week or two. Contraband Days in Lake Charles draws 200,000 people overa 12 day period. Southern Decadence in New Orleans drew over 160,000 people last year.
I figured Lafayette in particular had a big festival of some sort; thanks for the info.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
There is no one singular Georgia culture; it includes Applachian culture in the mountains, Lowcountry/Gullah culture on the Sea Islands, and lots in between.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:09 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,563,526 times
Quote:

I just came back from SOWO in Helen today.

Good question.
Festival International is easily my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or