U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia or Louisiana?
Georgia 48 66.67%
Louisiana 24 33.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 12:29 AM

6,517 posts, read 7,459,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Georgia is MUCH more than just Atlanta...people who make this comment show how little they know about the state of Georgia. A few points of interest in GA: Athens, Brunswick, Savannah, Rome, the entire North Georgia Mountains and the Appalachian Trail, Okefenokee Swamp (think Everglades), the barrier islands, Warm Springs, the antebellum historic cities of Augusta and Macon, former state capital of Milledgeville, Statesboro (Georgia Southern University), and so on. It's just like any other state with interesting things to see and do.

Atlanta is obviously the economic engine of the state and has more than half of Georgia's population, but that doesn't mean that the remainder is wasteland.

I was going to post something like this. Way more to the state than Atlanta. Georgia is so diverse, IMO it offers more than Louisiana does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 08:07 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,880,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I was going to post something like this. Way more to the state than Atlanta. Georgia is so diverse, IMO it offers more than Louisiana does.
Plus, GA has well over 10.5 million to Louisiana 4.1 million.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:36 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,287,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Louisiana has the swamps which are far more unique than mountains. And I'm in Helen at the moment so I'm in the mountains. It's really beautiful though.

Festivals is pretty easily Louisiana.

Hospitality is a wash. New Orleans pretty much works off of hospitality soo...

He didn't say that Georgia is only Atlanta. I think people here know what you said, minus the mindlesss trolls.
Georgia has swamps too. Okefenokee Swamp.

Based on the following criteria:

1. Weather-Georgia(the difference is North GA and South GA have different climates)
2. Crime-Georgia.Crime is lower overall. Lousianna has been ranked one of the most dangerous states
3. Nature-Georgia.You got mountains, beaches,swamps,etc
4. Hunting and Fishing Areas-Louisiana
5. Quality of Festivals-I give a slight edge to Georgia.People automatically assume LA but Georgia has some of the largest festivals in the country.Plus they are more diverse.
*Tomorrowworld
*AC3 Hip Hop Festival
*Atlanta Jazz Festival
*Shaky Knees
*Sweet Auburn Spring Festival
*Music Midtown
*Inman Park Festival
*Caribbean Festival

Savannah-
*St Patricks Day

Macon-
*Cherry Blossom Festival

6. Hospitality-Because of Atlanta AND Savannah alone not to mention all the resorts on the Golden Isles and in the mountains
7. Cost of living-Georgia.Better pay but cost of living is higher but worth it.
8. Culture-Louisiana.Kinda hard to beat but Georgia shares much of that culture.

I just never had a desire to ever want to live in Louisiana.Especially outside of New Orleans.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Of all the southern states, I'd have to say that Georgia is quite possibly at the bottom when it comes to food. It just isn't their strong point. That's not to say that the food is bad, it's just that much better in the other states. So it may not be a fact, but I think most would agree that Louisiana has better food. It's not even that close, in my opinion.

Festivals? Another clear advantage for Louisiana. Georgia may have more in number, but Louisiana is known globally for its culture of parties and festivals.
Id give the edge to Lousianna too but you are so wrong about food.Ever been to Savannah?Even Atlanta the diversity of cultures gives more access to food as well as the many highly ranked restaurants.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Gullah is culturally rooted in the region spanning from SE Coastal North Carolina to the Jacksonville Florida area so it's not a distinctly Georgia thing. Cajun-Creole is a distinctly Southern Louisiana thing with the Cane River area around Alexandria being another Creole stronghold. As late as 1950 more than half of the Catholic population in the South lived in Louisiana. As late as 1960 only 1.7% of Atlanta area residents were Catholic. I'm not that smart but with those numbers one can argue that in comparison to the South as a whole, the Atlanta area is more Southern culturally than the state of Louisiana.
Cajuns histry and influence can also be found in Texas so its not unique to Louisianan either.
Louisiana shares much of its hstiry with the rest of the South.Surely you are not suggesting its mot "Southern" because its "catholic" are you?

Do you not realize Atlanta and Savannah have large Jewish poulations. Savannah.Savannah has one of the oldest communities in the U.S.Does that make it more "Southern" or less because in New Orleans or LA its almost non existent?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
It's safe to say that the poll results are due to Georgia having at least 3x as many C-D posters as Louisiana. These are the same people who pretend to be ignorant of the fact that Georgia's state flag in 2015 (since 2003) is " The First National Flag of The Confederacy " in design. It's also safe to say that the notion of Georgia as more racially tolerant than Louisiana or any other Southern state was created by people from Georgia. Meanwhile in the first half of the 20th century Georgia was the only Southern state which saw 3 straight decades of black population net decline while no other Southern state including Louisiana didn't even see at least 2 straight decades of black population net decline. The degree of racial tolerance between the two states back when...1950 compared to 1920 black population, in Louisiana it was 183k larger, while in Georgia it was 143k smaller.
Why do you only mention the past but fail to quote how many black people live here today?As Always you anti GA rant.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Probability would say otherwise...but moving on
Well probablity if you are only using this forum but there is more probabilty based on facts too:

The Most Popular US States For Tourism - Business Insider

Old 06-05-2015, 04:33 AM

920 posts, read 1,015,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Why do you only mention the past but fail to quote how many black people live here today?As Always you anti GA rant.
What can be said about the nearly 3 million black people living in Georgia today is that at least 95% of them haven't the slightest clue that Georgia's state flag is still a Confederate Flag and you were among that 95% until you heard it from me. Grady Hospital in present day Atlanta, but Henry Grady was a white supremacist at the end of the day. Georgia folks like you have always moved on from the past without acknowledging the past. If they did, someone like " Itchy Trigger Finger" Nash would be a more well known individual (considering his murderous racist crimes in Atlanta during the late 1940's) and not the obscure individual that he is. If not for you taking a dump on my city/state at every turn, I wouldn't know today that MLK actually thought " City Too Busy To Hate " was a croc, or that Georgia had more 20th century lynchings of black people than any other state. Can't forget about Forsyth County (Metro Atlanta) which was arguably the most racist place in America in the 20th century by most measures while the Atlanta media painted a rosy picture of it throughout the period.

Old 06-05-2015, 05:39 AM

29,908 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
What can be said about the nearly 3 million black people living in Georgia today is that at least 95% of them haven't the slightest clue that Georgia's state flag is still a Confederate Flag and you were among that 95% until you heard it from me.
I'm not going to presume to speak for afonega1, but you really shouldn't flatter yourself. The fact of the matter is that many Southern state flags are some sort of adaptation of either the official flag of the CSA or the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia, so Georgia isn't alone there.

Quote:
Grady Hospital in present day Atlanta, but Henry Grady was a white supremacist at the end of the day.
LOL, and? That era of history was filled with White supremacists and stuff is named for them all throughout the country.

Quote:
Georgia folks like you have always moved on from the past without acknowledging the past. If they did, someone like " Itchy Trigger Finger" Nash would be a more well known individual (considering his murderous racist crimes in Atlanta during the late 1940's) and not the obscure individual that he is. If not for you taking a dump on my city/state at every turn, I wouldn't know today that MLK actually thought " City Too Busy To Hate " was a croc, or that Georgia had more 20th century lynchings of black people than any other state. Can't forget about Forsyth County (Metro Atlanta) which was arguably the most racist place in America in the 20th century by most measures while the Atlanta media painted a rosy picture of it throughout the period.
Nobody has to take a dump on your state for you to bring this stuff up; you bring it up routinely and for the life of me, I don't understand why. What point are you trying to prove?

Old 06-05-2015, 05:52 AM

614 posts, read 436,788 times
This is a hard one for me. Savanah is my first love, and Louisiana does not have a huge metro like Georgia, Texas or Florida. But on the other hand I have found Louisiana to have more interesting cities, history, culture and food. I don't think I would be without anything living in Atlanta, in fact there are a few things that are important to me that they have in droves. New Orleans though is one of my current loves and I Aptos live there on a heart beat.

1. Weather -this one isn't a big one for me. I prefer the milder winters of Southern Louisiana, but I would think that the average person would prefer the slightly drier weather of the higher and more inland areas of GA.

2. Crime- this one is easy, Georgia wins.

3. Nature- both states are rather different and very interesting, it's hard to pick, I would say a tie

4. Hunting and Fishing Areas - LA is big on this department

5. Quality of Festivals- I'm sorry, but New Orleans alone beats the entire state of Georgia in this category. Add in the rest of the festival around Louisiana and it's far beyond an overwhelming victory.

6. Hospitality- both states are excellent in this. Savanah in particular is extremely welcoming to guests.

7. Cost of living- LA

8. Culture- Again it is no contest, LA soundly beats GA in this category.

overall, I Find LA to be the more interesting state and give it the nod in the thread. They are very close in my book and the decision would be more clear if either state had a combination of a few things.

Take the amenities and size of Atlanta add in the beauty of Savannah, throw in the compactness, culture, and food of New Orleans and bam!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or