U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 10:28 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,127,363 times

Advertisements

Clatinonia has beaches,deserts,mountains, lakes,areas with snow & areas thats sunny,What state is more diverse than that ?

It is also the biggest melting pot in the country, The largest asian, white & latino population by far,Also the highest native American population in America ,The largest South & Central American community ,The 5th largest African American population in the nation & also the richest Black communities in America, No need to go on about the diversity of California, It's more populated than Canada so it should be it's own country in the future to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,198,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Hawaii is mostly Asian-American, with a variety of Asian ethnicities (Japenese, Chinese, Filipono, Korean, etc). No different than a majority white state, with a variety of European ethnicities (Italian, Irish, Polish, German, English, Spanish, etc etc). There are almost no blacks and Hispanics in Hawaii.

It depends on how you view diversity. If you see it as "lots of people who aren't white" then, sure. Hawaii has the lowest percentage of whites than any other state. But Hawaii is mostly Asian, which is really no different than a state that is mostly white.
Hawaii QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Hawaii is only 37.7% Asian. Hawaii is around 10% Hispanic, with a lot of Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. In addition, Hawaii has lots of Pacific Islanders (10%), and is 23% multiracial. Not to mention it's also 23% White.

You're selling Hawaii a BIT short there.

As for this thread, this topic has gone by over and over again
What is the most ethnically diverse state?
Top 5 most diverse states (racially, ethnically, economically, etc)

I personally also like the # of languages spoken measure
http://www.us-english.org/userdata/f...nEachState.pdf

California has 213 languages spoken
Next closest is New York with 173 languages spoken

Old 05-17-2015, 11:50 AM

9 posts, read 10,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Clatinonia has beaches,deserts,mountains, lakes,areas with snow & areas thats sunny,What state is more diverse than that ?

It is also the biggest melting pot in the country, The largest asian, white & latino population by far,Also the highest native American population in America ,The largest South & Central American community ,The 5th largest African American population in the nation & also the richest Black communities in America, No need to go on about the diversity of California, It's more populated than Canada so it should be it's own country in the future to be honest.
It amazes me than California has the fifth largest amount of blacks in the country and yet they are only around 6% of the state's population. It goes to show you just how big the state's population is.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkClouds View Post
It amazes me than California has the fifth largest amount of blacks in the country and yet they are only around 6% of the state's population. It goes to show you just how big the state's population is.
The proportion of blacks here has been decreasing though. At it's height, California was 7.5% Black. Now it's 6.6% Black. It's insane how much the demographics of California have changed in the past 30 years

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
CensusScope -- Population by Race

In 1980, this is what California looked like

66.6% Non-Hispanic White
19.2% Hispanic
7.5% Black
5.3% Asian

2013, California

39.0% Non-Hispanic White
38.4% Hispanic
14.1% Asian
6.6% Black

Yup. Not that I have a problem with it. I don't really care all that much because I'm not a loser who cares about "OMG I HAVE TO PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH!! OMG COMMUNISM!"

Old 05-17-2015, 03:49 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,092,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
The proportion of blacks here has been decreasing though. At it's height, California was 7.5% Black. Now it's 6.6% Black. It's insane how much the demographics of California have changed in the past 30 years

California QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
CensusScope -- Population by Race

In 1980, this is what California looked like

66.6% Non-Hispanic White
19.2% Hispanic
7.5% Black
5.3% Asian

2013, California

39.0% Non-Hispanic White
38.4% Hispanic
14.1% Asian
6.6% Black

Yup. Not that I have a problem with it. I don't really care all that much because I'm not a loser who cares about "OMG I HAVE TO PRESS 1 FOR ENGLISH!! OMG COMMUNISM!"
Yeah I think California's black population is about to drop to 6th since North Carolina is on its heels.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:18 PM

Well it goes to show how diverse California is,Every ethnicity plays a major role out here .

Matter fact California was named after a Black goddess Califa #FunFact

Old 05-17-2015, 07:23 PM

But it's crazy how the hispanic population is taking over the white pop in a few years in California, The future of this state & country will be different when the minority becomes the majority.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
But it's crazy how the hispanic population is taking over the white pop in a few years in California, The future of this state & country will be different when the minority becomes the majority.
Yeah, but due to lowering Hispanic birthrates and decreased Hispanic immigration from Latin America, I don't think Hispanics will ever reach the 50% threshold. They will be the plurality (meaning largest group) for sure, but above 50% statewide? I doubt it.

What the plummeting Hispanic birthrate means for the U.S. economy | Fusion
Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero

I think it'll top out at 45%.

Quote:
Yeah I think California's black population is about to drop to 6th since North Carolina is on its heels.
Maybe. The raw numbers haven't been falling dramatically (though the black alone numbers have a 20,000 decrease from 2000-2010), but it's stagnating.

California itself is becoming, if US census definitions don't change, really an Asian/White/Hispanic state.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:08 PM

4,271 posts, read 6,359,388 times
What's interesting to me in terms of diversity in California, as opposed to New York, is the mix WITHIN each major census category, which has been shaped by each state's immigration history.

I'd suspect that California would be far more diverse in terms of its Asian and Pacific Islander population than New York, largely because of proximity.

And I'd guess that New York would be far more diverse in its African-American and White populations for its proximity to the Caribbean, Africa, and Europe.

I doubt there are many Albanian, Senegalese, or Haitian neighborhoods in California cities. And no Japanese or Fijian ones in New York.

That makes each extremely diverse. But in very different ways. The big census categories tell only part of the story.

Editing to add, that it could be a tie within the Hispanic category regarding diversity: California has more Mexicans and Central Americans than New York, but New York has far more Dominicans, Cubans, and Puerto Ricans. Both very diverse but both very different.

Last edited by citylove101; 05-18-2015 at 06:21 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 PM

668 posts, read 699,752 times
No !
California is not the most diverse state !

Minnesota is the most diverse state ?
why ?
because it has the most diversity, lots of blonde hair, light brown hair, red hair, brown hair and black hair
lots of different eye colours from blue, green, hazel, brown

a vast variety of different European and non European ancestries

Minnesota is much more diverse than California where most people have dark hair, dark eyes and a dark skin tone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or