U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,152,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Yeah, but due to lowering Hispanic birthrates and decreased Hispanic immigration from Latin America, I don't think Hispanics will ever reach the 50% threshold. They will be the plurality (meaning largest group) for sure, but above 50% statewide? I doubt it.

What the plummeting Hispanic birthrate means for the U.S. economy | Fusion
Net Migration from Mexico Falls to Zero

I think it'll top out at 45%.

Maybe. The raw numbers haven't been falling dramatically (though the black alone numbers have a 20,000 decrease from 2000-2010), but it's stagnating.

California itself is becoming, if US census definitions don't change, really an Asian/White/Hispanic state.
The child population was already at 51% in 2010

State - California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:20 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,792,885 times
Hispanic is not a race but an ethnicity. Hispanics can be white, black, asian, mixed race, etc.
When will America stop treating it like a singular race?

Old 05-19-2015, 07:25 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,195,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
The child population was already at 51% in 2010

State - California
This is actually a lot less telling than most people want to let on.

The White, Black, and Asian birthrates are significantly below the Hispanic one. However, you're assuming that

1) People don't move to California as adults; and
2) The relative birthrates remain the same.

Now, if people stop moving after the age of 18, let me know.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:45 AM

9 posts, read 10,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
This is actually a lot less telling than most people want to let on.

The White, Black, and Asian birthrates are significantly below the Hispanic one. However, you're assuming that

1) People don't move to California as adults; and
2) The relative birthrates remain the same.

Now, if people stop moving after the age of 18, let me know.
The California student population is currently 54% Hispanic.

Statewide Enrollment - DataQuest (CA Department of Education)

Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkClouds View Post
The California student population is currently 54% Hispanic.

Statewide Enrollment - DataQuest (CA Department of Education)
And that didn't address anything I just said? All I'm saying is that it's a lot less telling than most people want to admit. Mostly people with agendas (IE agendas that involve them 'Spiccos are taking over).

Do people stop moving as adults or something? If so, that's news to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Hispanic is not a race but an ethnicity. Hispanics can be white, black, asian, mixed race, etc.
When will America stop treating it like a singular race?
People love pigeonholing, and people LOVE labels. Life has to always be a black and white thing, there's never any in-between.

People's identities are never static to begin with, especially over two to three generations.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Hawaii is mostly Asian-American, with a variety of Asian ethnicities (Japenese, Chinese, Filipono, Korean, etc). No different than a majority white state, with a variety of European ethnicities (Italian, Irish, Polish, German, English, Spanish, etc etc). There are almost no blacks and Hispanics in Hawaii.

It depends on how you view diversity. If you see it as "lots of people who aren't white" then, sure. Hawaii has the lowest percentage of whites than any other state. But Hawaii is mostly Asian, which is really no different than a state that is mostly white.
It's not mostly Asian. Race alone:

23% white non-hispanic
38% Asian
10% Native
10% Hispanic

Race in combination (as in checking this race, along with another):

43% white (includes white and hispanic)
57% Asian
26% Native

Note Asian and Native is more common than White and Asian

Because of the high of amount of multiracial, it's hard to make a comparison. Hawaii is either less asian than California is white, or more, depending on how you measure.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:02 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

23% white non-hispanic
38% Asian
10% Native
10% Hispanic

57% Asian
26% Native

Because of the high of amount of multiracial, it's hard to make a comparison. Hawaii is either less asian than California is white, or more, depending on how you measure.
Hawaii is one of the most diverse places, but it's also such a melting pot. The original Hawaiians, Chinese, Japanese, Portuguese(who weren't considered white in Hawaii), Puerto Ricans, Fillipinos, Samoans, and mainland Whites all came at different times--but a lot sort of blended together over the years. It's sort of different than places where you have a lot of recent immigrant groups that are still assimilating--in Hawaii the overall culture was a mix of groups from the plantations and then the more Anglo-culture of the plantation owners, but over time even that mix has sort of blended in some ways. There's also more recent immigrants in Hawaii that include Mexicans and Southeast Asians(lots of Vietnamese businesses in Honolulu these days).

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 05-19-2015 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 AM

12,642 posts, read 10,487,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

23% white non-hispanic
38% Asian
10% Native
10% Hispanic

57% Asian
26% Native

? Asian is the highest category for both sets of numbers. 38 compared to 23, 10, and 10. Then 57 compared to 43 and 26. Hawaii has a high number of Japanese-Americans, I think second to only CA but I don't know if that's raw numbers or percentage-wise. I'd assume many mixed-race Hawaiians are partly Asian. Hawaii has the highest percentage of Asian-Americans and the lowest of white Americans. It's very Asian, possibly the most or second-most, which is not surprising given its location and history.

Asian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A map here shows the 2010 Census county level Asian designation, in whole or part. Hawaii has the most on a consistent basis, outside of the Bay Area, as far as I can tell. The whole state is 25% or more.

It's hard to say what the most diverse state is, truly. Hawaii has a lot of Asians because of its location close to Asia and its history, like I said, but not a lot of blacks - which makes sense because it's far from Africa and became a territory and state after slavery ended, so blacks weren't imported into Hawaii in large numbers like they were in the South, for example. New York has a lot of blacks (especially, or thanks to, the city and metro) but fewer Asians in comparison to Western states, which makes sense given New York's location closer to Africa and farther from Asia. The Northeast has a high concentration of diverse ethnic whites - which makes sense given its immigration history and location closer to Europe. So it all depends on how you look at it, and why. The most diverse places are really cities IMO, and not states as a whole (and I think cities are the best sample anyway), and New York is pretty high up there.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
? Asian is the highest category for both sets of numbers. 38 compared to 23, 10, and 10. Then 57 compared to 43 and 26. Hawaii has a high number of Japanese-Americans, I think second to only CA but I don't know if that's raw numbers or percentage-wise. I'd assume many mixed-race Hawaiians are partly Asian. Hawaii has the highest percentage of Asian-Americans and the lowest of white Americans. It's very Asian, possibly the most or second-most, which is not surprising given its location and history.

Asian American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia A map here shows the 2010 Census county level Asian designation, in whole or part. Hawaii has the most on a consistent basis, outside of the Bay Area, as far as I can tell. The whole state is 25% or more.
To clear up the confusion, I think the past two poster's response is to this

Quote:
It depends on how you view diversity. If you see it as "lots of people who aren't white" then, sure. Hawaii has the lowest percentage of whites than any other state. But Hawaii is mostly Asian, which is really no different than a state that is mostly white.
Even if you take the high number of 57% of partially Asian, then 43% of Hawaii's population has no Asian ancestry. A state that would be 57% Non-Hispanic White Alone would be Florida or Nevada, and I don't think I've ever heard of Florida being described as "mostly White"

If it's Asian alone, then that number dips to 38%. California is 39% Non-Hispanic White (alone), and Texas is 43% Non-Hispanic White (alone), and neither of those states are one someone would describe as "mostly White".

Non-Hispanic whites - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
It's hard to say what the most diverse state is, truly. Hawaii has a lot of Asians because of its location close to Asia and its history, like I said, but not a lot of blacks - which makes sense because it's far from Africa and became a territory and state after slavery ended, so blacks weren't imported into Hawaii in large numbers like they were in the South, for example. New York has a lot of blacks (especially, or thanks to, the city and metro) but fewer Asians in comparison to Western states, which makes sense given New York's location closer to Africa and farther from Asia. The Northeast has a high concentration of diverse ethnic whites - which makes sense given its immigration history and location closer to Europe. So it all depends on how you look at it, and why. The most diverse places are really cities IMO, and not states as a whole (and I think cities are the best sample anyway), and New York is pretty high up there.
That I can co-sign with a bit more. However, since the unit being compared is states and not cities, this thread is what it is.

The problem with CD in general is that everything is always spoken in absolutes. Real life doesn't quite work that way.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:22 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,122,697 times
California is the most diverse in scenery & ethnicity, Anyone saying otherwise is insane lol

Where else can you hit the beach, mountains, snow areas or desert in one day ? Ill wait lol

Where else has 3 world class cities in 1 state ? Once again ill wait lol
California is clearly King of the hill & no other place in America comes even remotely close.But with that being said ,Hawaii & Florida is the next choice of course .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or