U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 1,149 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm 24 years old (single male) and looking to move to a new city for adventure while I'm young (I currently live in Jamaica).

In my city, I'm hoping to find a lot of people around my age (20-24) so a college city. I'm a middle person where I love big cities, but also love a walkable layout (I know New York, Boston, San Francisco, etc. are pretty good in that regard). I'm looking for a lot of things to do in terms of great sports games, sports fans, a mix or bars and clubs, and short commute times (completely ruled out Los Angeles). Coming from Jamaica, I also don't want to move anywhere to cold. I can take normal winters and temperatures dropping in the 30s, but I don't think I would handle cities like Boston, and Chicago well.

I've done some research, and I think Washington D.C, Atlanta, and Philadelphia are great cities that fit that bill, and even Houston in terms of weather even though it's not as walkable. Wherever I go, I'm planning to live downtown (where most clients would be) or somewhere pretty close to reduce commute times. I can pay up to around $1,300 in rent. I've done more research into Atlanta and Philadelphia and would live in Midtown and University City if I chose any of those locations.

Hopefully you guys can provide some insight into those cities or other great cities for young professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,585,710 times
I'm assuming you are eligible to live/work in the USA? It sounds like Philadelphia would be really great for you.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 1,149 times
Yes, the Visa part isn't a problem. My reservation with Philadelphia was the reputation for block to block crime (i.e the 40th block is safe, but 42 is not). Would this not mean that I have to pass through an unsafe areas to get home? It also seems like such an old city. Thanks for the input though!

Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM

57,075 posts, read 81,489,054 times
DC may be the best bet.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:46 AM

6,359 posts, read 7,030,499 times
I think San Francisco could be great too. It doesn't get as cold as DC but it also doesn't get as hot either.

LA could still be good depending on your work. Just like Atlanta, it is sprawling and has terrible traffic, but if your clientele is focused in one area then you'd have no problem. It's very similar to Atlanta in that way...a number of walkable areas, decent transit, and large enough population clusters.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:01 PM

4,292 posts, read 6,391,455 times
I'd think that the Bay Area would be perfect for you, but unless you want to share an apartment, it's probably out of yr price range in the cities that would be most attractive, such as Berkeley, Oakland, and San Francisco. I suspect DC might be beyond your budget too, especially in the city itself.

Beyond Atlanta and Philadelphia, consider two cities not yet mentioned: New Orleans and Baltimore. Both, in my opinion, are terribly underrated cities. And yes, even with the recent troubles, Baltimore still has lovely neighborhoods to live in at your price point and is a relatively sophisticated place close to both Philly and DC. Like any big city, its pretty easy to avoid the bad parts of Baltimore. Same With NOLA, which of course has unique cultural mix in the U.S. and, contrary to popular opinion isn't just a place for Mardi Gras and hurricanes. There is actually a business community (tied heavily, but not only, to oil and gas) as well as several universities and colleges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or