U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern states feels the most Western?
Minnesota 1 2.08%
North Dakota 2 4.17%
South Dakota 34 70.83%
Nebraska 8 16.67%
Kansas 3 6.25%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:53 PM

4,640 posts, read 3,994,816 times

Advertisements

The whole southern shore of Lake Superior across MN, WI, and the UP feels like the Oregon Coast without the mountains.

If you are talking about the interior West, probably South Dakota...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:59 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,740,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The whole southern shore of Lake Superior across MN, WI, and the UP feels like the Oregon Coast without the mountains.

If you are talking about the interior West, probably South Dakota...
Indeed. I've been to Parry Sound in Ontario and I thought it felt pretty "Western", albeit in more of a pine woods sort of way, not a semi-desert butte way like western South Dakota/Nebraska.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:14 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,208,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
I'd be more inclined to say that the Lake Superior shoreline looks more like coastal Maine, with a similar rocky shoreline, cliffs, and tree species.

The Oregon coast is more dramatically mountainous with sandy beaches and sea stacks, which you definitely won't see in Lake Superior.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:17 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,418,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Indeed. I've been to Parry Sound in Ontario and I thought it felt pretty "Western", albeit in more of a pine woods sort of way, not a semi-desert butte way like western South Dakota/Nebraska.
Guess I never thought of it that way, but...I grew up in the WI northwoods. To me, the Canadian Shield (UP, northern WI & MN, parts of Ontario) are quite similar to the New England and Pac Northwest "northwoods," sure. And areas around Lake Superior may lack Western mountains, but they are often significantly hilly and some do qualify (technically) as mountains. But yeah, the pine forests, lakes, and greenery make these areas kin. Upstate NY had a "homey" feel for me at times, too.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
I'd be more inclined to say that the Lake Superior shoreline looks more like coastal Maine, with a similar rocky shoreline, cliffs, and tree species.

The Oregon coast is more dramatically mountainous with sandy beaches and sea stacks, which you definitely won't see in Lake Superior.
There are tons of sand beaches around Lake Superior! As well as lots of rock formations (Pictured Rocks etc). But like I said above, Maine/Washington-Oregon/MN-WI-MI northwoods all share some similarities.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:

I don't know if I'd call the Oregon Coast "dramatically mountainous". Most of the mountains there are pretty low, practically hills. People overrate how mountainous Oregon is, most of the mountains here only rise 1,000 to 3,000 feet above the surrounding areas. It's definitely not like British Columbia, Alaska or even California's Lost Coast. It's beautiful though.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:00 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,208,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There are tons of sand beaches around Lake Superior! As well as lots of rock formations (Pictured Rocks etc). But like I said above, Maine/Washington-Oregon/MN-WI-MI northwoods all share some similarities.
I guess I wasn't thinking about the southern side of the lake, and really just the North Shore of Minnesota specifically which definitely doesn't have any sandy beaches. Rock formations, of course...but no sea stacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I don't know if I'd call the Oregon Coast "dramatically mountainous". Most of the mountains there are pretty low, practically hills. People overrate how mountainous Oregon is, most of the mountains here only rise 1,000 to 3,000 feet above the surrounding areas. It's definitely not like British Columbia, Alaska or even California's Lost Coast. It's beautiful though.
In comparison to Lake Superior, it's absolutely "more dramatically mountainous".

Old 05-21-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
In comparison to Lake Superior, it's absolutely "more dramatically mountainous".
In places certainly, but....

Porcupine Mountains, far western UP/WI border (in background, from beach):

Keweenaw, northwestern UP (Lake in background):

Huron Mountains (north central UP), Lake in background:

Ontario:

Etc etc

You really should check out more Lake Superior shoreline than just the MN north shore, which is beautiful but only 10-15% of the Lake Superior shoreline. Many nice beaches, rock formations, and (comparatively small Midwestern) mountains ranges.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Guess I never thought of it that way, but...I grew up in the WI northwoods. To me, the Canadian Shield (UP, northern WI & MN, parts of Ontario) are quite similar to the New England and Pac Northwest "northwoods," sure. And areas around Lake Superior may lack Western mountains, but they are often significantly hilly and some do qualify (technically) as mountains. But yeah, the pine forests, lakes, and greenery make these areas kin. Upstate NY had a "homey" feel for me at times, too.
Parts of Washington, like just north of Spokane for example, definitely feel quite northwoodsy and are not particularly mountainous.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
In places certainly, but....

Porcupine Mountains, far western UP/WI border (in background, from beach):

Keweenaw, northwestern UP (Lake in background):

Huron Mountains (north central UP), Lake in background:

Ontario:

Etc etc

You really should check out more Lake Superior shoreline than just the MN north shore, which is beautiful but only 10-15% of the Lake Superior shoreline. Many nice beaches, rock formations, and (comparatively small Midwestern) mountains ranges.
Those mountains look similar to Oregon's Coast Range in terms of their height and geology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or