U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,230,341 times

Advertisements

Rahm's definitely well known nationally, although his most recent round of headlines were hardly positive. Initially it was because he was Obama's chief of staff, but the last round of national headlines were about the fact that he became the first Chicago mayoral incumbent forced into a runoff election.

There were plenty of articles on left leaning websites analyzing the race because Rahm had all the campaign money, whereas Chuy only had a faction of the money raised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
De Blasio has done/said so many idiotic things that I think even the media stopped caring and wanting to report on the idiocy. For a while there, when he first was elected, they were obsessed with him. Now, not so much.
The media was also all over him during his fight with the NYPD. He's flown under the radar nationally since then though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 01:05 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,397,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I am honestly surprised people outside of NYC know of de Blasio, since he is not that popular even in the city itself. I know people knew of Bloomberg and Giuliani though. I'd agree that Emmanuel is the most well known mayor currently... de Blasio is a 1 term mayor hopefully.
I follow the news a lot and am normally all over current events. I just realized that I couldn't have named the current mayor of NYC, although I believe he's fairly new at the job. I knew Giuliani and Bloomberg in a heartbeat, and I think most Americans would have known of those two. As for Blasio, I would think he's MUCH less known at the mayor as the two before him.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:34 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,143,619 times
Michael Nutter of Philly get some press. Especially as of late with the Amtrak derailment.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM

619 posts, read 442,090 times
Going down the list of most populous cities, NY and LA mayors usually are well known.
Emmanuel was well known long before he took office.
Parker, didn't know she was that well known outside of Texas.
Philly's mayors are usually low key.
can't tell you one past mayor from Phoenix.
San Antonio s mayor Castro got a lot of press during the last general election.
I'm drawing blanks on San Diego, Dallas and San Jose mayors.

Other colorful figures usually come from DC and Detroit.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:55 PM

28,272 posts, read 26,273,936 times
This is easy.

http://cdn.govexec.com/media/img/upl...bit/medium.jpg

Old 05-20-2015, 05:19 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,882,935 times
Kasim Reed of Atlanta is well known.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:22 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,197,994 times
NYC and CHI.

People knew of LA's before, but most people most likely have not heard of Garcetti. Hell, most people in LA barely know about Garcetti at this point.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM

7,749 posts, read 6,158,630 times
Stephanie Rawlings-Blake for her brain fart about the looters.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:37 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,995 times
Nyc mayors are the most well known. Rahm would be unknown without his stint in DC. DeBlasio and Bloomberg are the only mayors I have heard of simply because they are mayors. In fact, I don't even know who the governor of NY is.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,070,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Going down the list of most populous cities, NY and LA mayors usually are well known.
Emmanuel was well known long before he took office.
Parker, didn't know she was that well known outside of Texas.
Philly's mayors are usually low key.
can't tell you one past mayor from Phoenix.
San Antonio s mayor Castro got a lot of press during the last general election.
I'm drawing blanks on San Diego, Dallas and San Jose mayors.

Other colorful figures usually come from DC and Detroit.
You're the first one to list off Los Angeles. I feel like I've seen the Mayor of LA on the news before but don't know his name. He's definitely not in the national media as often as Emanuel or Daley was when he was mayor, and the NYC mayors require no mention.

It seems on the national level at this point in our history it's mostly Chicago and NYC.

A few months ago after Indiana passed the religious freedom act bill I think Greg Ballard, mayor of Indianapolis, received some press for being a republican and being set staunchly against the bill that the republican governor of Indiana had signed.

Though I can't remember his name, the Mayor of Atlanta was in the news on national level in early 2014 when Atlanta was hammered by a snow/ice storm and cars were stranded on the interstates for days because the roads were so bad, ironically that wasn't his fault, as the Atlanta city roads were well salted, but the suburban outlying roads weren't.

Can't say I really follow mayors of other cities too closely, with the exception of a few major ones and mayors that may possibly become large political players in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or