Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times

Advertisements

famous, infamous, or well known for one reason or another.....

Rob Ford - Toronto
Marion Berry - Washington
Buddy Cianci - Providence
Annise Parker - Houston
Michael Nutter - Philly
Thomas Menino - Boston
Antonio Villaraigosa - Los Angeles
Gavin Newsom - San Francisco
Sam Adams - Portland
New York has a long list (Bloomberg/Guilianai/LaGuardia......)
Chicago has that guy with the Napoleon complex and the Daley legacy.

I lived in Seattle for five years and I noticed that city seems to change out and elect new mayors frequently. Can't think of a mayor there that was particularly memorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 10:54 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,641,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Kasim Reed of Atlanta is well known.
You really think so? I know him because I lived in Atlanta for several years and keep up with the local news, but I'm not so sure many Americans could tell you who the mayor of Atlanta is. If they do know him, they probably know him for the city's bungling of the ice storm a few years ago.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:37 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Though I can't remember his name, the Mayor of Atlanta was in the news on national level in early 2014 when Atlanta was hammered by a snow/ice storm and cars were stranded on the interstates for days because the roads were so bad, ironically that wasn't his fault, as the Atlanta city roads were well salted, but the suburban outlying roads weren't.
Kasim Reed, and thank you, it seems that you are one of the few people who knows that the 1/28 situation on the interstates, state freeways, public schools, and suburban roads was not the fault of the government of the City of Atlanta (although they aren't totally absolved of responsibility; the city employees were just as screwed as everyone else, and Kasim Reed did opt to go to a Weather Channel event even as conditions were deteriorating).

Personally, I don't think Kasim Reed is well-known outside of Georgia. NYC mayors, definitely, although de Blasio is a lot less-known than Bloomberg was. I'd throw Chicago and San Antonio up there due to current or previous links to President Obama.

- skbl17

Old 05-21-2015, 08:27 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
famous, infamous, or well known for one reason or another.....

Rob Ford - [b]Toronto[b]
Marion Berry - Washington
Buddy Cianci - Providence
Annise Parker - Houston
Michael Nutter - Philly
Thomas Menino - Boston
Antonio Villaraigosa - Los Angeles
Gavin Newsom - San Francisco
Sam Adams - Portland
New York has a long list (Bloomberg/Guilianai/LaGuardia......)
Chicago has that guy with the Napoleon complex and the Daley legacy.

I lived in Seattle for five years and I noticed that city seems to change out and elect new mayors frequently. Can't think of a mayor there that was particularly memorable.
Toronto is not an American city, though that mayor is infamous.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Oh thank you! I had no idea Toronto was in Canada. He's quite infamous indeed, and worthy of mention anyway.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:11 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,085 times
Quote:
You really think so? I know him because I lived in Atlanta for several years and keep up with the local news, but I'm not so sure many Americans could tell you who the mayor of Atlanta is. If they do know him, they probably know him for the city's bungling of the ice storm a few years ago.
I live in Atlanta and I can't imagine any significant number of people know who he is. Maybe news junkies who have seen him on Meet the Press, or as you note, saw him during the ice storm (and certainly wouldn't remember his name), but that's about it.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:16 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,399,014 times
Buddy Cianci, may or may not have been in the mafia

Old 05-21-2015, 12:39 PM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
I would have to say the mayor of NYC no matter who he is will usually be well known by most Americans.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:43 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Oh thank you! I had no idea Toronto was in Canada. He's quite infamous indeed, and worthy of mention anyway.
That's not to mention that Rob Ford isn't even the mayor anymore, John Tory is.

- skbl17

Old 05-21-2015, 12:51 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
That's not to mention that Rob Ford isn't even the mayor anymore, John Tory is.

- skbl17
I merely pointed it out because I'm asking what AMERICAN city has the most well known Mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.