Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 04:44 PM

43 posts, read 53,143 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm sure you see this question every other day and are probably doing this right now , but I would really appreciate your input!

My boyfriend and I moved from Orange County to the Bay Area about a year ago. I was wary of the move, but wanted out of Southern California, so was willing to go on an adventure. I like the little town that we ended up in just fine, but we're not really overjoyed with the Bay Area in general and would now like to move out of California completely. Our lease is up in August, and I've been researching cities in pretty much all my spare time. Like I said, I'm starting to go nuts, but we've managed to narrow it down to: Portland, Nashville, Chicago and Durham (or Raleigh).

About us: We hate the heat (and would prefer four seasons), love trying different restaurants and cuisines, love museums, culture, architecture, LOVE going to see live music, would prefer good public transportation, but do have a car & a motorcycle, like camping/hiking/nature, and above all would love to be surrounded by FRIENDLY PEOPLE! I like to think we're pretty simple people.

Anyway, opinions on the cities I've listed would be awesome. Other suggestions of cities that might be a good fit are more than welcome. I don't want to be crazy anymore!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Do you have a preference in terms of city size? What about employment?

Old 02-20-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Do you have a preference in terms of city size? What about employment?
I like to have many options, as far as restaurants, things to do, etc., so I guess I prefer bigger cities. Small towns are ok if they're charming and somewhat liberal.

Right now I'm a nanny, but I'd like to work in the library/educational field.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:53 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Here are some positions in NY: Library-Related Job Openings in and around New York State as posted to NYLINEivision of Library Development:New York State Library

Old 02-20-2015, 08:28 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times
Durham, NC (where you mentioned you were interested) would be a good fit except for hating heat/humidity.

It's hard to say that now because it's we've had frigid record-breaking temperatures this winter; but it definitely gets hot here in the summer; all 4 seasons with a very pleasant spring and fall.

The Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) checks off all of your bullet points though. There are way too many people moving here and many of them without a lot of knowledge about the area or with solid job prospects lined up so you'll definitely want to visit first and try to secure employment but it's a nice place to live.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeeling707 View Post
Hi everyone!

I'm sure you see this question every other day and are probably doing this right now , but I would really appreciate your input!

My boyfriend and I moved from Orange County to the Bay Area about a year ago. I was wary of the move, but wanted out of Southern California, so was willing to go on an adventure. I like the little town that we ended up in just fine, but we're not really overjoyed with the Bay Area in general and would now like to move out of California completely. Our lease is up in August, and I've been researching cities in pretty much all my spare time. Like I said, I'm starting to go nuts, but we've managed to narrow it down to: Portland, Nashville, Chicago and Durham (or Raleigh).

About us: We hate the heat (and would prefer four seasons), love trying different restaurants and cuisines, love museums, culture, architecture, LOVE going to see live music, would prefer good public transportation, but do have a car & a motorcycle, like camping/hiking/nature, and above all would love to be surrounded by FRIENDLY PEOPLE! I like to think we're pretty simple people.

Anyway, opinions on the cities I've listed would be awesome. Other suggestions of cities that might be a good fit are more than welcome. I don't want to be crazy anymore!

Thanks so much!
I think Portland is the place for you.

Your other options will involve dealing with humid climates. If you've never experienced it, it's a bear. I lived my life on the west coast - grew up in CA, moved to WA after high school. I then moved to Nashville. How to explain how the humidity feels... you know the feeling when you walk into a steam room in a gym? It's like that. It hits you like a wall. You run from A/C to A/C from building to car to building, and the entire time you are covered in a sheen of sweat under your clothing. This sheen, of course, then is cold and damp when you go into a freezing building where the A/C is turned way up.

Also, I could never assimilate into the southern culture. It's a different world from the west. I could never tell if someone was blowing me off, or if they really wanted to be my friend or do business with me. They were always so "friendly" and "polite." Well, after months of them ever so nicely blowing me off, I'd finally get the hint. If you're from that culture, you "get" what's going on. If you're not, you can feel lost. I made great friends - from New York and Canada - who had relocated there, too.

So, keep culure in mind, too.

And, humidity also equals a wet and icy winter. Nashville had horrible winters when I lived there. It was often minus zero degrees, and there was ice and sleet. Wet and icy and freeeezing cold! There is a window of nice weather in the spring and fall. The fireflies are great, though. That's all I miss about Tennessee.

So, culturally, and weather-wise, I think you'd be happiest in Portland. And everything you want is there, too. Plus, if you want to visit friends and family in OC, it's an easy flight.

Enjoy your new adventure. Sometimes we have to go "crazy" to end up being forced to research harder to find the right place for us. This happened for me, resulting in my move to Crescent City and I love it here. I hope you come back and let us know where you landed :-)

Old 02-22-2015, 11:42 AM

207 posts, read 338,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeeling707 View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks so much!
Have you considered Cleveland. I

A food city, LA Times travel featured us: Hot new dining city: Cleveland?! - LA Times
Michael Bauer - food critic for San Franccisco Chronicle: san fran dining editor praises cleveland food scene

Guy Fieri: Food Network star Guy Fieri raves about Cleveland's food scene: Restaurant Row | cleveland.com

Some of our top chefs: Cleveland Restaurants|Cleveland Dining | Dining in Northeast Ohio

We have a national park and amazing metro parks.

Live music- Blossom music center is a large outdoor concert venue. During the summer it attracts many of the big performers, in addition to being the summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra.

There are many other live music venues - Cleveland Orchestra (among the best in the world), and places like the House of BLues (and others) for other types of music. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.

Museums - Our art museum is one of the best in the country (plus it is free). They just completes a $350 million dollar expansion. Museum of Contemporary Art, Western Reserve Historical Society, Cleveland Museum of Natural History (starting a major renovation), Crawford auto museum, Botanical gardens and more.

Playhouse square - the largest theater district in the US outside of NYC.

Transportation -Cleveland has a light rail system, extensive bus network, healthline and other public transit options.

Cleveland (many transplants can attest to this) is a friendly place

Plus, we have 4 seasons, three of which are beautiful.

Last edited by jprice15; 02-22-2015 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 11:45 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Durham, NC (where you mentioned you were interested) would be a good fit except for hating heat/humidity.

It's hard to say that now because it's we've had frigid record-breaking temperatures this winter; but it definitely gets hot here in the summer; all 4 seasons with a very pleasant spring and fall.

The Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) checks off all of your bullet points though. There are way too many people moving here and many of them without a lot of knowledge about the area or with solid job prospects lined up so you'll definitely want to visit first and try to secure employment but it's a nice place to live.
Durham's humidity isn't the bad, at least not in my opinion comparing it to having lived in Florida, DC and Philly where the concrete jungle elements really ramp it up. If the OP can get through the period form mid-July through late August she'd love it otherwise.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:32 PM

Thanks for all of the friendly/informative responses!

I haven't considered Cleveland, but my family is from Cincinnati, so I have considered that. I have fond memories of summers spent in Ohio, but maybe I just see it through sentimental rose colored glasses??? I don't know.

What are your thoughts on Charleston, SC? Seems very charming to me, but I've never been.

Portland was my number one choice until I heard about the weak job market/high income tax. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks, again!

Old 02-23-2015, 06:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Trust me, you will go absolutely nuts if you move from California to the midwest.

Try places like the Hudson River Valley in NY

Pittsburgh, PA is a very creative city with a great vibe.
Charleston, WV is like a smaller version of Pittsburgh

Annapolis MD is pretty cool (and near Baltimore and DC)

I like Charleston, SC, and Savannah, GA (although both towns are very parochial, hard to break into established social cirlces and get very hot in the summer). Myrtle Beach may suit you better.

Wilmington North Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.