U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state has the best weather BESIDES California?
Hawaii 33 35.87%
Florida 5 5.43%
Texas 1 1.09%
Nevada 3 3.26%
Arizona 7 7.61%
Georgia 2 2.17%
South Carolina 3 3.26%
Delaware 0 0%
North Carolina 3 3.26%
Louisiana 0 0%
Indiana 2 2.17%
Kentucky 0 0%
Virginia 5 5.43%
New Mexico 4 4.35%
Tennessee 1 1.09%
Colorado 7 7.61%
Oregon 4 4.35%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Washington 4 4.35%
Other 8 8.70%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:47 PM

15,462 posts, read 25,409,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
You're kinda kicking yourself from the start by going on and on about how California has the perfect weather. To be honest I like the state but not really the weather. Too dry in most populated areas and very...... boring. I like a lot of rain and snow, lots of thunderstorms and at least a few months of cold weather. Most of my friends who moved there like the weather for a bit, but they all tend to randomly say from time to time how boring the weather gets.

I go visit my BF's family in southern California and go to weddings there sometimes, as well as hear from people on this forum. I tend to think Californians might have a bit of a rose colored view of how the country sees them since there's always this "Hollywood" "great weather" "beaches" "American dream" type stereotypes. It's a great place and has a lot to offer, but this idea that everyone must want to move there is quite false. My BF's family is extremely rich and they also understand that we could fairly easily afford to live there. We keep getting this "when are you moving here!?!?!" from them, as if it's just obvious or something. It's awkward because we keep trying to avoid the subject and not let them know that we have no desire to live there at all for multiple reasons. Nice place to visit, but there's a lot of world out there, California certainly isn't the #1 for everyone.
Eh, you should tell them you have no desire to live in CA, maybe they'll start to realize not everyone is enthralled with the place as much as they like to believe. It's weird how some people here don't seem to get that a lot of people don't find the CA lifestyle as appealing as they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 AM

11,881 posts, read 10,383,727 times
I honestly can say I enjoy the weather in SE Pennsylvania/South Jersey/Delaware/Eastern Maryland. It has a strong 4 season climate but the winters (usually) are not that harsh. The past few winters have been pretty brutal though.

To me California does not have the best weather-that would probably go to Hawaii due to the warmer nights and water. I'd probably put other places before California too even if there is a short Winter because of the warmer nights and Ocean temps the rest of the year.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:28 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,717,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Eh, you should tell them you have no desire to live in CA, maybe they'll start to realize not everyone is enthralled with the place as much as they like to believe. It's weird how some people here don't seem to get that a lot of people don't find the CA lifestyle as appealing as they think.
I think California is sort of a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. People act like it's a perfect place to live, and that just because they are wealthy and enjoy it that everyone else must love it too. I personally don't like being hot, thirsty, broke and surrounded by snotty people and gangsters all the time.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I think California is sort of a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. People act like it's a perfect place to live, and that just because they are wealthy and enjoy it that everyone else must love it too. I personally don't like being hot, thirsty, broke and surrounded by snotty people and gangsters all the time.
While CA has it's flaws that some seem to overlook or not be bothered by them it's certainly far from how you describe it.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:54 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,717,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
While CA has it's flaws that some seem to overlook or not be bothered by them it's certainly far from how you describe it.
It depends on your income level. If you don't have a good job it's exactly the way I describe it. Hell, my dad made $80K a year back in the '90s and we lived like we were poor in the Bay Area. In any other state you'd feel rich making a salary like that, but in California you live like somebody who works retail in another state.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
It depends on your income level. If you don't have a good job it's exactly the way I describe it. Hell, my dad made $80K a year back in the '90s and we lived like we were poor in the Bay Area. In any other state you'd feel rich making a salary like that, but in California you live like somebody who works retail in another state.
No it's really not "exactly" the way you describe it at all. Maybe your dad had some money management issues because the Bay Area was a more affordable and reasonable place to live back in the 90's. My mom made WAY LESS than that and we didn't live like we were poor at all. Have you ever lived in CA as an adult?

Old 05-31-2015, 01:35 AM

6,060 posts, read 3,383,155 times
Who said California has the best weather? I pick Minnesota, please, with Massachusetts at second place. I'm sorry, but green leaves and 80 degrees on Halloween and the same crap on Christmas too is not "perfect" to me I'll take the blistering cold, as it also means a beautiful white landscape and lakes to skate on. What is fresh water in Southern California anyway?

Old 05-31-2015, 03:23 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,658,574 times
There were no links to any proof establishing the fact that California has the best climate of all other states so the fact that the OP claims this is true doesn't make it so. First the definition of "best" would have to be established and that would be pretty difficult to do. As we have seen here, what is best for one is certainly not best for another.

I find it interesting to see how many different types of climates people do like the best. It's interesting to see how varied opinions are.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:13 AM

1,743 posts, read 959,136 times
I would guess Hawaii. Unfortunately, I can't vouch for my homestate of Texas, unless you wanted to know the state with the most bipolar weather!

Old 06-02-2015, 01:47 PM

638 posts, read 712,150 times
Hawaii > California
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or