Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state has the best weather BESIDES California?
Hawaii 34 35.05%
Florida 5 5.15%
Texas 1 1.03%
Nevada 3 3.09%
Arizona 7 7.22%
Georgia 2 2.06%
South Carolina 3 3.09%
Delaware 0 0%
North Carolina 3 3.09%
Louisiana 0 0%
Indiana 2 2.06%
Kentucky 0 0%
Virginia 6 6.19%
New Mexico 5 5.15%
Tennessee 1 1.03%
Colorado 8 8.25%
Oregon 5 5.15%
Oklahoma 0 0%
Washington 4 4.12%
Other 8 8.25%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 04:24 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times

Advertisements

In California, do earthquakes, fire, mudslides, and drought count?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 06:50 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
In California, do earthquakes, fire, mudslides, and drought count?
Yes, absolutely! California has an extreme, dangerous, loathsome climate! You don't want to come here!

Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times
For me, CA is the best. Until I remember HI.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:51 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,303,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
For me, CA is the best. Until I remember HI.
Western, HI, yes, eastern HI not so much. For instance, on the Big Island Kona has wonderful weather nearly year around, while Hilo is one of the rainiest U.S. cities.

For me the central CA coast has ideal weather: Moderate rain and temps Nov-Feb, moderately warm and dry the rest of the time, and humidity is seldom higher than moderate.

If you want a more seasonal climate Boise ID is probably ideal. It's unusual in the sense there are 4 distinct seasons, but the weather is still fairly moderate. In winter temps seldom drop below 20 and summer temps are rarely above 90.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 PM

37,799 posts, read 40,996,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
We all know California has the best weather of anywhere in the U.S. We don't get tornados, hurricanes, hot humid sticky weather, severe thunderstorms, 60 inches of rain a year, severe lightning, cold weather down to -50F, 6 months straight of everyday cloud and rain, etc. So I was wondering what states have the best weather besides CA? See poll options.
Yeah but every time you turn around you have droughts. You wish you had 60 inches of rain per year and maybe you wouldn't have so many wildfires.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,760,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Yeah but every time you turn around you have droughts. You wish you had 60 inches of rain per year and maybe you wouldn't have so many wildfires.
There are places in California that get more than 80 inches of rain per year and they too are susceptible to wildfires.

Your post was worthless by the way.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Florida gets nearly 60 inches a year and is susceptible to wildfires every year as well.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:05 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
We all know California has the best weather of anywhere in the U.S. We don't get tornados, hurricanes, hot humid sticky weather, severe thunderstorms, 60 inches of rain a year, severe lightning, cold weather down to -50F, 6 months straight of everyday cloud and rain, etc. So I was wondering what states have the best weather besides CA? See poll options.
You're kinda kicking yourself from the start by going on and on about how California has the perfect weather. To be honest I like the state but not really the weather. Too dry in most populated areas and very...... boring. I like a lot of rain and snow, lots of thunderstorms and at least a few months of cold weather. Most of my friends who moved there like the weather for a bit, but they all tend to randomly say from time to time how boring the weather gets.

I go visit my BF's family in southern California and go to weddings there sometimes, as well as hear from people on this forum. I tend to think Californians might have a bit of a rose colored view of how the country sees them since there's always this "Hollywood" "great weather" "beaches" "American dream" type stereotypes. It's a great place and has a lot to offer, but this idea that everyone must want to move there is quite false. My BF's family is extremely rich and they also understand that we could fairly easily afford to live there. We keep getting this "when are you moving here!?!?!" from them, as if it's just obvious or something. It's awkward because we keep trying to avoid the subject and not let them know that we have no desire to live there at all for multiple reasons. Nice place to visit, but there's a lot of world out there, California certainly isn't the #1 for everyone.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 05-25-2015 at 07:18 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 08:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
It depends on what kind of weather a person likes. If CA had the best weather we would not have left after 40 years of hot, dry summers, dry grass, fire danger, and boring sunny days. I'll take the 4 seasons, with a little snow, lots of rain 8 months of the year, rarely over 80 in summer and everything green all year.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,173,856 times
Born and raised in Southern California and I LOVE the moderate temperatures year round but do NOT like the lack of handsome warm rain and thunderstorms in summer. I also would prefer moderate humidity rather than bone dry humidity.

The U.S. South has too much deviation in temperatures in winter and extreme humidity in summer and those handsome warm rain thunderstorms are no longer fun when they become tornadoes or severe. South Florida gets fewer severe tornadoes than the rest of the South and is somewhat protected from the cold snaps but the summers require too much AC.

My ideal climate would actually be Sydney, Australia or perhaps Brisbane, Australia. Rainfall evenly spread throughout the year, LOTS of sunshine, some summer thunderstorms but very rarely severe, and very comfortable L.A-like temperatures.

I don't like our drought or our normal bone dry summers (even in wet winters, we normally get 0 rain in the summer months) but I do NOT want to sacrifice sunshine and warmth to get rain (the problem when you move north on the west coast of the U.S is you get more rain, but you get cold foggy summers and the rain is NEVER warm).

An ideal climate would have both high sunshine hours year round and about 40 inches of rain a year. Ideal average highs in winter 65-70 F; average lows around 50 F. Ideal highs in summer 80-85 F; average lows around 65 F. Any rain that falls in summer should be brief yet heavy and followed by brilliant sunshine rather than cold, overcast, soggy, drizzle.Winter should also have at least 60 percent of possible sunshine and the pattern should be one day of steady moderate to heavy rain followed by several days of bright sunshine before the next storm comes. It should be either sunny or raining heavy without wasted boring overcast or drizzly cold rain (the reason I hate the Pacific Northwest climate's so much).

As for the OP's original question, Hawaii, central or South Florida (Tampa, Fort Lauderdale, or Miami), and South Texas (Austin area) all would be my picks for climates outside of California. But AC would be absolutely a MUST for the humidity of summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.