U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2015, 08:29 PM
 
103 posts, read 119,374 times
Reputation: 85

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Is that a lot for St Louis? Just found Detroit, it's not 40....it's 99. I was hoping maybe the city was turning around its crime this year.

I saw elsewhere that Portland was at 12 or 13 for the year. I think the 6 above was just for February and March, nothing yet reported for April or May per that site.

New York City is at 1.3/100,000
Los Angeles is at 2.4/100,000
San Francisco is at 2.4/100,000
Chicago is at 5.2/100,000
Philadelphia is at 5.8/100,000
Washington DC is at 6.7/100,000
Milwaukee is at 9.5/100,000 (up a LOT this year)
Detroit is at 14.2/100,000
Baltimore would be at 15.4/100,000
New Orleans is at 18.5/100,000
Los Angeles is at 20.0/100,000
You listed Los Angeles twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2015, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,656 posts, read 4,609,379 times
Reputation: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
6 more homicides than last year which was a year which was the lowest number of homicides in 50 years isn't a lack of progress. If anything, it means that 2014 wasn't a fluke year and crime is actually going down.


In 2013, Detroit was up to 123 by this time of the year. 2012 it was already up to 139. Besides that, every other category of crime has gone down by double digit percentage. Probably still high for the city's current population size, but going down nonetheless.
In the back of my mind I thought the very cold winter had something to do with the impressive numbers last year but hoping I was wrong. Now I'm thinking I was for the most part wrong and that's a good thing. Only 6 higher than the 50 year record and the winter was pretty average this year? Looking at your data from 2012 and 2013 and comparing it to now, I think better times are ahead. Only time will tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:40 AM
 
Location: Finland
1,401 posts, read 1,184,637 times
Reputation: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Is that a lot for St Louis? Just found Detroit, it's not 40....it's 99. I was hoping maybe the city was turning around its crime this year.

I saw elsewhere that Portland was at 12 or 13 for the year. I think the 6 above was just for February and March, nothing yet reported for April or May per that site.

New York City is at 1.3/100,000
Los Angeles is at 2.4/100,000
San Francisco is at 2.4/100,000
Chicago is at 5.2/100,000
Philadelphia is at 5.8/100,000
Washington DC is at 6.7/100,000
Milwaukee is at 9.5/100,000 (up a LOT this year)
Detroit is at 14.2/100,000
Baltimore would be at 15.4/100,000
New Orleans is at 18.5/100,000
Los Angeles is at 20.0/100,000
Oh my god! Why are American cities so violent??

My city of 620k residents has a murder rate of 1,2 and Finland was supposed to be violent compared to the rest of West...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 07:36 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 8,328,114 times
Reputation: 4270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Oh my god! Why are American cities so violent??

My city of 620k residents has a murder rate of 1,2 and Finland was supposed to be violent compared to the rest of West...
Drug culture in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
1,899 posts, read 1,211,258 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Oh my god! Why are American cities so violent??

My city of 620k residents has a murder rate of 1,2 and Finland was supposed to be violent compared to the rest of West...
Finland's rate is apparently 1.2/100k. America overall is #111 out of the 218 countries, so we're nowhere near the top in terms of homicides:
List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That being said, some cities in the US are well above the national average for homicides, but we don't really know why. It's not drugs though. It looks like the leading cause right now are arguments, believe it or not:
FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM
 
11,179 posts, read 22,400,541 times
Reputation: 10933
And I guess while all homicides are terrible, you have to make sure and keep it in context a bit or people freak out.

I mean Chicago's rate is 15/100,000, but that means that 0.015% of the population is murdered each year. Deaths are terrible, but your chances are still one-hundredth of one percent.

The USA has 0.004% of people murdered each year and Finland has 0.001%. If it were anything other than human lives being lost statistically people would just say they're the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Houston, Tx
73 posts, read 71,594 times
Reputation: 32
Houston-128
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 01:54 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,573 posts, read 1,433,069 times
Reputation: 1097
Quote:
Originally Posted by meilmarc View Post
Houston-128
I read somewhere that two Houston neighborhoods are amoung the worst in america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 01:59 PM
 
2,707 posts, read 2,375,881 times
Reputation: 3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
And I guess while all homicides are terrible, you have to make sure and keep it in context a bit or people freak out.

I mean Chicago's rate is 15/100,000, but that means that 0.015% of the population is murdered each year. Deaths are terrible, but your chances are still one-hundredth of one percent.

The USA has 0.004% of people murdered each year and Finland has 0.001%. If it were anything other than human lives being lost statistically people would just say they're the same.
Um... no. That is 4x the rate. That is a huge statistical difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2015, 08:42 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
2,482 posts, read 2,232,029 times
Reputation: 2353
Milwaukee is at 61 as of 5/26. At the same time last year it was at 26.
Shooting in car leaves man dead on Milwaukee's north side

I'm not familiar with Milwaukee, but a friend of a friend posted the article on FB. What's going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top