U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:09 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Um... no. That is 4x the rate. That is a huge statistical difference.
No, it's not. Not when you are dealing with the average risk to X person in either country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 01:41 AM

504 posts, read 354,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
No, it's not. Not when you are dealing with the average risk to X person in either country.
Well that's OK then. A huge comfort that I'm only 4 times as likely to be murdered in the USA than in Finland. Or 5 times as likely as in my country, which has a rate of 0.83.

And 14 times as likely in Baltimore than in London (and that NYC's rate is almost as low as London's goes to show the incredible progress that city has made over the years).

This attitude goes a long way to explain just why the USA is so violent.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:13 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post
Well that's OK then. A huge comfort that I'm only 4 times as likely to be murdered in the USA than in Finland. Or 5 times as likely as in my country, which has a rate of 0.83.

And 14 times as likely in Baltimore than in London (and that NYC's rate is almost as low as London's goes to show the incredible progress that city has made over the years).

That's just the point. FOUR TIMES AS LIKELY means a difference between 0.004% and 0.001%. Statistically it's four times as much which sounds scary. Statistsically it would also be effectively "zero" to any normal numan being when looking at either number.

Who would say they are going to avoid XXX city because each year 0.004% of the population gets murdered, but they are totally fine going to XXX because only 0.001% of the populatoin gets murdered.

Murders are a big deal and I'm not downplaying them, but to the AVERAGE CITIZEN the chances are still what they are in each......effectively zero.

If we froze everything and kept the same murder rate, the extremely violent USA would take 25,000 years to have its population completely murdered.

For the average citizen living their life on earth, the USA and Finland are basically equally as violent when it comes to murder. The USA's rates are much higher, but the overall rates are so close to zero that the impact wouldn't be noticable at all to a random person unless you get down to the finite statistics.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:01 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,205,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's just the point. FOUR TIMES AS LIKELY means a difference between 0.004% and 0.001%. Statistically it's four times as much which sounds scary. Statistsically it would also be effectively "zero" to any normal numan being when looking at either number.
That's exactly right. Or to look at it another way...

If you have two countries with equal populations, in Country X one person dies from tripping on legos, and Country Y has four people that died from legos, what does that tell you? You're four times as likely to die of a lego accident in Country Y maybe, but don't go burning all your legos yet. The odds of that happening are incredibly rare.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 PM

47,996 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Philadelpha: 87

Not great, but better than it's been in recent years.

Crime Maps & Stats | Philadelphia Police Department
And this is also considering that Philadelphia has twice as many people as Baltimore.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:01 AM

1,229 posts, read 973,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640TAG View Post

NYC's homicide rate is still almost 4 times London's. That's definitely not almost as low as London's.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:09 AM

47,996 posts, read 45,443,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
I'm surprised Portland is so high. Is this the norm?
I don't think so. 30 is the most Portland has seen between 2000 and 2014. Considering there are 32 and its only late May, Portland is on pace to have 72 murders.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 AM

2,070 posts, read 1,590,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meilmarc View Post
Not sure, guess the streets are just hot right now, but I figure its going to get worse cause the burglary/robbery crews are getting way out of hand. Whataburgers, Jack In The Box, IHOP, Dennys, etc are all getting robbed on a regular basis while full of customers. Plus the home invasions seem to be reported every few days
I thought it was just me who had noticed the drastic uptick in robberies in Houston...every thing from brazen smash and grabs, to stick ups, to good old-fashioned heists and home burglaries...it does seem to be getting a little out of hand as of late. (Within the past 2-3 years).

Old 05-30-2015, 07:33 AM

6,312 posts, read 4,672,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I thought it was just me who had noticed the drastic uptick in robberies in Houston...every thing from brazen smash and grabs, to stick ups, to good old-fashioned heists and home burglaries...it does seem to be getting a little out of hand as of late. (Within the past 2-3 years).
The local news in my town was going to interview some guy that has been compiling statistics on burglaries,stick ups and violent crimes who said the number is down compared to last year but someone broke into his car and stole his laptop that had all the information.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:44 AM

5,515 posts, read 17,674,229 times
Bronx at 27 as of may 17th, that would bring it's rate to about 2.07 per 100,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.