U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 03:14 PM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
PS: Some people have a preference for the B–W Parkway vs. I-95 on that DC to Bmore leg - But I do not think it makes a difference really, at all. And don't forget toll money ($16) if you're going sans ez-pass. MD just increased the northbound toll into DE after the I-95 bridge from $6 to $8.
It makes a difference to the extent you're heading backwards to catch 95 from the Beltway. Traffic on the Parkway can be bad on a normal Saturday morning during the Spring and Summer months, but it generally gets better once you're past the Laurel/Route 197 exit. Taking the Parkway over 95 would not save you a whole hour or anything, but taking 95 is hustling backwards. The traffic on 95 is not any better despite having more traffic lanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:26 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,268,705 times
I'm going to hop on 301 just north of Richmond, no way in hell I'm going anywhere near DC (I'll take the stoplights on 301, need to play it safe). However, I'll hop on I-95 around Baltimore instead of staying on 301 through Annapolis and the Eastern Shore.

The way back isn't a problem because I'm stopping in Arlington.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:14 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,141,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm going to hop on 301 just north of Richmond, no way in hell I'm going anywhere near DC (I'll take the stoplights on 301, need to play it safe). However, I'll hop on I-95 around Baltimore instead of staying on 301 through Annapolis and the Eastern Shore.

The way back isn't a problem because I'm stopping in Arlington.
301 gets backed up too. I tried coming back to Baltimore from Raleigh, NC. I was better off staying on the highway.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,154,995 times
Yeah 301 can be clogged along stretches between Waldorf and Bowie. I usually make better time staying on 95 than using the 301 route, but hey give it a shot.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:13 PM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Thats going waaayy out of the way.
It's only 36 miles longer than using I-95 the whole way. It's not that far out of the way.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,268,705 times
I think I'll give 301 a shot and see.

I've taken that Chesapeake Bay route through Norfolk and up Hwy 13 when I drove from Raleigh to Baltimore once. You basically get on Hwy 50 around Salisbury, which takes you across the bay down into Annapolis and then you can hop over to Baltimore. Even then, I was trying to avoid DC traffic. However, since I'm traveling further away to Philly instead of Baltimore, I'm going to pass (I'd also like to get up to Philly ASAP, don't want to stick on too many country roads). That way is kinda out of the way for me, and I don't go up I-95 in North Carolina since I live in a section of Raleigh closer to Durham. I take I-85 up to Petersburg, which usually isn't bad at all (barely anyone on that stretch of highway). Taking Hwy 64 over to Rocky Mount and jumping on I-95 over there is a little out of the way for me, if I can easily hop on I-85 twenty minutes up the road in Durham.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:03 AM

358 posts, read 256,703 times
You might run into traffic in Delaware on the I-95 portion if you take 13 North when it comes into I-295/495

Old 05-21-2015, 07:00 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,237,774 times
I would stick to 95 and only use 301 as a last resort. There are some very good smart phone apps that provide real-time traffic information and I would only venture away from 95 if the traffic is truly hellacious.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,978 posts, read 3,458,387 times
Quote:
This is what I'm planning, but I'm getting off around Fredericksburg and heading down 218 to the east which runs into 301 right before the Potomac River. I'll stay on 301 through Maryland before eventually hopping onto I-97. Is this fine? I'll take your way if it's faster.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to leave earlier. If I stay on I-95, I'm going to hit DC in rush hour without a doubt. Any Baltimore traffic I'm going have to face without a choice, but I want to stay away from DC.
BEWARE! Now... I've been forced to take 301 back from Fredericksburg riding back with a person who was scared to take 95 north twice in the past couple months on holiday Sunday's (Easter and Mother's Day). Both times the 301 bridge backed up for miles before crossing into MD and the second time took 3hrs to get from Fredericksburg to PG County going the 301 route. The bridges merges lanes down to one lane each way and traffic completely stops at Dahlgren for miles now. The first time this happened to me I swore I would always go 95 home, but got forced into riding with someone who hates 95 and had to suffer again. Now this was on holiday weekend Sunday's traveling North, if your going that route on a Friday you may be better off.

Take the route up through Va Beach area and cross over to Chesapeake then follow the Eastern Shore up to Delaware and Philly, headache free. Plus you under estimate the Baltimore area traffic it also can be a serious problem.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:12 PM

5,672 posts, read 3,645,631 times
Quote:
I think I'll give 301 a shot and see.

I've taken that Chesapeake Bay route through Norfolk and up Hwy 13 when I drove from Raleigh to Baltimore once. You basically get on Hwy 50 around Salisbury, which takes you across the bay down into Annapolis and then you can hop over to Baltimore. Even then, I was trying to avoid DC traffic. However, since I'm traveling further away to Philly instead of Baltimore, I'm going to pass (I'd also like to get up to Philly ASAP, don't want to stick on too many country roads). That way is kinda out of the way for me, and I don't go up I-95 in North Carolina since I live in a section of Raleigh closer to Durham. I take I-85 up to Petersburg, which usually isn't bad at all (barely anyone on that stretch of highway). Taking Hwy 64 over to Rocky Mount and jumping on I-95 over there is a little out of the way for me, if I can easily hop on I-85 twenty minutes up the road in Durham.
It's actually more direct to use the U.S. 13 routing if you're going to Philadelphia (or points north) than if you're going to Baltimore. That's because once you get north of Baltimore, I-95 actually heads to the northeast, while U.S. 13 heads almost straight north. But if you're going to Baltimore from U.S. 13, you have to cut back west (via U.S. 50) to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or