U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 01:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,263,785 times

Advertisements

I'm driving up to Philly tomorrow, but my timing will place me in the DC area around rush hour. Any suggestions for alternate routes to avoid DC? Quickest possible, please. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:00 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I'm driving up to Philly tomorrow, but my timing will place me in the DC area around rush hour. Any suggestions for alternate routes to avoid DC? Quickest possible, please. Thanks!
Get through DC before traffic starts. Depending in how early you leave, you may hit traffic in either DC, Baltimore, or Philly. Not really an alternative route around any of the three cities.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:05 PM

28,248 posts, read 26,214,003 times
Take the US-301 exit around Bowling Green (north of Richmond). You can cross into Maryland over the Potomac River Bridge and then continue along 301 until you hit I-97. From there, you can take I-97 until it merges into 895, which eventually merges back into 95 once you're out of the Harbor Tunnel.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Take the US-301 exit around Bowling Green (north of Richmond). You can cross into Maryland over the Potomac River Bridge and then continue along 301 until you hit I-97. From there, you can take I-97 until it merges into 895, which eventually merges back into 95 once you're out of the Harbor Tunnel.
This is what I'm planning, but I'm getting off around Fredericksburg and heading down 218 to the east which runs into 301 right before the Potomac River. I'll stay on 301 through Maryland before eventually hopping onto I-97. Is this fine? I'll take your way if it's faster.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to leave earlier. If I stay on I-95, I'm going to hit DC in rush hour without a doubt. Any Baltimore traffic I'm going have to face without a choice, but I want to stay away from DC.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 05-20-2015 at 02:26 PM..

Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
This is what I'm planning, but I'm getting off around Fredericksburg and heading down 218 to the east which runs into 301 right before the Potomac River. I'll stay on 301 through Maryland before eventually hopping onto I-97. Is this fine? I'll take your way if it's faster.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to leave earlier. If I stay on I-95, I'm going to hit DC in rush hour without a doubt.
Fredericksburg is usually where the traffic is at its worst. The traffic on I-495 is not as bad as it used to be after the completion of the new Wilson Bridge. Traffic flows across the Potomac like water now. I don't think I've ever experienced a back up on it except for the rare cases where there was a major accident.

If you're going to fight the traffic all the way to Fredericksburg, then I'd say stay on 95 all the way to the Beltway. Traffic usually gets better once you get to Woodbridge because the HOV lanes open up. But if you're coming up on Friday night, the HOVs might be open in the opposite direction.

Personally, I never find traffic so bad on 95 that I feel compelled to take 301. It's a nice scenic route but I don't think it necessarily gets you there any faster.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:38 PM

560 posts, read 538,176 times
Hmm....Honestly, going straight up might be best. I feel any other way you take would more than likely equal out in distance with whatever traffic you might have encountered, adding on time and gas. I've made the trip from Richmond to Philly in 3.5 hrs in the middle of the week several times. (Of course I've also seen the same trip take double that, especially during the holidays, i.e. Memorial Day Weekend). Be mindful of the traffic reports, listen to WTOP or simply use the Waze App. I agree, the worst of the traffic always seems to be around the DC/Bmore area. Godspeed!

PS: Some people have a preference for the BW Parkway vs. I-95 on that DC to Bmore leg - But I do not think it makes a difference really, at all. And don't forget toll money ($16) if you're going sans ez-pass. MD just increased the northbound toll into DE after the I-95 bridge from $6 to $8.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:48 PM

I think I'm planning on hopping onto 301 just north of Richmond, actually. I remember running into bad traffic around Fredericksburg before, basically the gateway into Northern Virginia and it was backed up badly. I'll stay on 301 into rural Virginia, crossing over the Potomac and continuing into Maryland. However, here's another question, how bad is the Baltimore traffic? Should I stay on 301 and go through Annapolis, crossing over the Chesapeake and head up to Wilmington/Philly that way? I know 301 is kinda rural, so will it be faster to go through Baltimore and hop on I-95? I'm planning on leaving Raleigh between noon and 1 pm tomorrow, for those who have made this drive.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:06 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
Take this route from Raleigh:

U.S. 64 east to I-95 in Rocky Mount, NC
I-95 north to U.S. 58 in Emporia, VA
U.S. 58 east to I-64 in Chesapeake, VA
I-64 west (counterclockwise) to U.S. 13 in Norfolk, VA
U.S. 13 north to DE 1 in Dover, DE
DE 1 north to I-95 in Wilmington, DE
I-95 north to Philadelphia

This route is 36 miles longer than taking I-95 all the way up to Philadelphia via Washington DC and Baltimore, but you'd avoid Richmond, Washington DC and Baltimore altogether. The only urban area of consequence along this route is the Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach/Norfolk). The Delmarva Peninsula is thinly populated, with Salisbury, MD and Dover, DE being the only towns of note.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I think I'm planning on hopping onto 301 just north of Richmond, actually. I remember running into bad traffic around Fredericksburg before, basically the gateway into Northern Virginia and it was backed up badly. I'll stay on 301 into rural Virginia, crossing over the Potomac and continuing into Maryland. However, here's another question, how bad is the Baltimore traffic? Should I stay on 301 and go through Annapolis, crossing over the Chesapeake and head up to Wilmington/Philly that way? I know 301 is kinda rural, so will it be faster to go through Baltimore and hop on I-95? I'm planning on leaving Raleigh between noon and 1 pm tomorrow, for those who have made this drive.
When I said "around Bowling Green," I really meant the Bowling Green exit. There's a Bowling Green/US-301 exit near Kings Dominion.

As I said earlier, I always find 95 to be faster because 301 has lights. Sure, there are long stretches with no lights, but you still have to travel through several small towns. Once you add up all of the stop and go, it's really not any faster than just staying on 95.

Yes, I believe it will be faster to hop on 95 in Baltimore. That traffic is never really bad. The biggest traffic snare you will encounter will be between Richmond (where 95 and 64 meet) and Prince William County. I have had sunny days where I've flown through Petersburg, Richmond and Fredericksburg and sailed all the way to DC. I've also had days where I've rolled at approximately 10 miles per hour from King's Dominion to Woodbridge. That traffic heading north is a bit unpredicatble, honestly, and you might have to play it by ear.

The real challenge for you will be getting back. Heading southbound from DC into Stafford County is always pure hell. That is unquestionably the worst traffic in America right now.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:12 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,132,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Take this route from Raleigh:

U.S. 64 east to I-95 in Rocky Mount, NC
I-95 north to U.S. 58 in Emporia, VA
U.S. 58 east to I-64 in Chesapeake, VA
I-64 west (counterclockwise) to U.S. 13 in Norfolk, VA
U.S. 13 north to DE 1 in Dover, DE
DE 1 north to I-95 in Wilmington, DE
I-95 north to Philadelphia

This route is 36 miles longer than taking I-95 all the way up to Philadelphia via Washington DC and Baltimore, but you'd avoid Richmond, Washington DC and Baltimore altogether. The only urban area of consequence along this route is the Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach/Norfolk). The Delmarva Peninsula is thinly populated, with Salisbury, MD and Dover, DE being the only towns of note.
Thats going waaayy out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or