U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is the West more laid back than the rest of the country?
Yes 17 45.95%
No 20 54.05%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2015, 09:26 AM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,726,354 times
Reputation: 3526

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
This. 100%.

When people make the claim that West Coasters are laid back, I'm pretty sure it's a comparison to New York and not say... Milwaukee, or Minneapolis, or something.

I'd be willing to be if you took someone who spent all their life in the Bay Area or San Diego, and made them walk downtown Manhattan at 5pm, they'd get ran over by people walking on top of them. People on the upper East Coast just do things faster, and are more "no nonsense" in general.
Does that apply to the interior and rural parts of the Northeast? I dunno, Pittsburgh seems like it would be a lot more easy-going than Seattle or Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2015, 12:26 PM
 
5,805 posts, read 8,573,833 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Does that apply to the interior and rural parts of the Northeast? I dunno, Pittsburgh seems like it would be a lot more easy-going than Seattle or Los Angeles.
Interior NE is going to be a lot slower than the NE Corridor (Bos-Wash) simply because the population isn't there nor are the mega industries of NYC and DC...

Pittsburgh seems about on Par with Seattle for pace-ness when I visited Seattle.... LA doesn't really compare to the NEC either, because it's more spread out. Only when looking at LA highways do I get a sense of a real NEC rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2015, 05:18 PM
 
3,751 posts, read 3,726,354 times
Reputation: 3526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Interior NE is going to be a lot slower than the NE Corridor (Bos-Wash) simply because the population isn't there nor are the mega industries of NYC and DC...

Pittsburgh seems about on Par with Seattle for pace-ness when I visited Seattle.... LA doesn't really compare to the NEC either, because it's more spread out. Only when looking at LA highways do I get a sense of a real NEC rush.
Don't you think people in Seattle are a lot more overworked than people in Pittsburgh though, due to the higher cost of rent and such? I dunno, it's hard to call the West Coast "laid back" when working 60 hours a week isn't even enough to rent a crappy one bedroom apartment in most cities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 AM
 
5,805 posts, read 8,573,833 times
Reputation: 3051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
Don't you think people in Seattle are a lot more overworked than people in Pittsburgh though, due to the higher cost of rent and such? I dunno, it's hard to call the West Coast "laid back" when working 60 hours a week isn't even enough to rent a crappy one bedroom apartment in most cities!
It's possible, I couldn't tell that.... but street life wise, Seattle didn't seem any faster/slower. Though its PM rush hour Downtown seems to last about an hour longer than Pittsburgh's ... Pittsburgh's is typically over by 7pm, Seattle seemed to last until about 8-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top