Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 08:06 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,875,553 times

Advertisements

It's funny, because growing up, I had the perception that the white population in the U.S. was basically split 50/50 in terms of brown eyes and blue eyes. I have brown (okay hazel) eyes, my brother has blue. My mom has blue, my dad had brown. Two of my grandparents had blue, two had brown. My aunts and uncles are split pretty 50/50 too. And I come from a family background which is mostly northern European (German, Irish, and English).

I married a woman with blue eyes. Have two kids, my daughter has blue eyes, and it looks like my son has brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 09:13 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,495,492 times
I was born with blond hair and blue eyes. I then had hazel eyes and brown hair. Then dark brown (almost black) with brown/hazel eyes (depends on what I'm wearing, the light, whatever).

Old 06-04-2015, 10:26 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,353,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
No problem! Soon to be released laser method of changing brown eyes to blue:

About Stroma Medical - Stroma Permanent Eye Color Change Laser

Anyone who uses that is a moron.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:28 AM

12,000 posts, read 12,853,256 times
Um, ok I'll try not to.

Everyone is born with blue eyes apparently.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Everyone is born with blue eyes apparently.
Not quite true. Newborn eyes, when blue, are so dark they are almost blue black. And most nonwhite people who have dark brown (almost black) eyes as adults have light brown eyes as babies.

Also, "blue" eyes under this definition include gray. The difference between gray and blue eyes is due to structural colors, not pigment. Before my son's eyes started getting brown and green coloration, they were a dark, gunmetal gray color. My daughter, in contrast, had crystal clear blue eyes right from the start.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:46 AM

3,450 posts, read 4,495,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not quite true. Newborn eyes, when blue, are so dark they are almost blue black. And most nonwhite people who have dark brown (almost black) eyes as adults have light brown eyes as babies.

Also, "blue" eyes under this definition include gray. The difference between gray and blue eyes is due to structural colors, not pigment. Before my son's eyes started getting brown and green coloration, they were a dark, gunmetal gray color. My daughter, in contrast, had crystal clear blue eyes right from the start.
Yep, mine were blue-gray. This wasn't just as a baby, there are pictures of me walking around with blue eyes/blond hair, maybe around the age of 3-4? By the time I hit kindergarten, my hair was brown and my eyes were green. In a couple years, my hair was nearly black and my eyes became more brown than green, though you can still see each in them.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 PM

515 posts, read 627,611 times
OMG! I wish that I had seen this thread earlier. I didn't know that we had such pressing matters at hand. You know, I usually don't comment on threads with such serious topics, but this one really shook me to the core. I had no idea that there was a decline in natural blondes with blue eyes. Oh, how will we be able to survive in a country where there aren't people naturally born with blonde hair and blue eyes and genetics for some reason don't apply anymore?!?! We are obviously in dire straits. Something has to be done about this, so our children, and our children's children can be natural blondes with blue eyes. Imagine how terrible it would be if our grandchildren had to grow up in a country where they never get to see a person with these beautiful genetic traits in person, ONLY IN PICTURES! What a world, what a world! Everything else can wait. I recommend that the government spend billions of taxpayer dollars to work with scientist and find a cure for this epidemic, as this is clearly of the utmost importance. If something is not done about this in a prompt matter, I suggest that we a form a nation wide protest. Say it with me,"WE WILL NOT LIVE OUR LIVES WITHOUT BLUE EYES, WE WILL NOT LIVE OUR LIVES WITHOUT BLUE EYES!"

Old 06-05-2015, 04:13 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,353,042 times
You can keep em in your little clique. I don't need blue eyes to feel important or better than anyone. Besides, brown eyes have blue eyes beat in this world by a long shot and always will forever and ever.

Can people with blue eyes even see that well really or are they slightly color-blind?

Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,097,580 times
We have magical powers that can read the minds of the brown eyed!

Old 06-05-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Can people with blue eyes even see that well really or are they slightly color-blind?
Blue eyes see just as well as brown eyes. However, people with blue eyes, since their irises have less pigment, have a harder time dealing with bright sunlight. When they are older they are likely to get macular degeneration as well. This is probably part of the reason why blue eyes only became dominant in northern Europe, an area which gets rather less sunlight than most of the rest of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.