Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 01:15 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,965,721 times

Advertisements

The real tragedy is that green eyes are so rare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 02:27 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
How is this such a difficult concept?

America was colonized by people who came from blue-eyed countries and their children inherited their blue eyes. Later on, large numbers of people immigrated from brown-eyed countries, who significantly increased the brown-eyed gene pool.

Given that model, what would you have predicted would happen to the distribution of eye color, even if you had no scientific knowledge of genetics at all?
the white american population is still mostly northwestern european and southern and eastern europeans' numbers were cut around ~1920. most of the immigrants between ~1920 and 1965 were northwestern european again.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:06 AM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
Is this really about eyes or something else??

Old 06-06-2015, 01:13 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,106,645 times
I do use my eyes to effect. When I am tired they become ethereal. I was in Florence, Italy when I was in my twenties ( 15 years ago) and these young Italian ladies kept saying Mel Gibson, Mel Gibson...

Old 06-06-2015, 05:19 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,403,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd33 View Post
OMG! I wish that I had seen this thread earlier. I didn't know that we had such pressing matters at hand. You know, I usually don't comment on threads with such serious topics, but this one really shook me to the core. I had no idea that there was a decline in natural blondes with blue eyes. Oh, how will we be able to survive in a country where there aren't people naturally born with blonde hair and blue eyes and genetics for some reason don't apply anymore?!?! We are obviously in dire straits. Something has to be done about this, so our children, and our children's children can be natural blondes with blue eyes. Imagine how terrible it would be if our grandchildren had to grow up in a country where they never get to see a person with these beautiful genetic traits in person, ONLY IN PICTURES! What a world, what a world! Everything else can wait. I recommend that the government spend billions of taxpayer dollars to work with scientist and find a cure for this epidemic, as this is clearly of the utmost importance. If something is not done about this in a prompt matter, I suggest that we a form a nation wide protest. Say it with me,"WE WILL NOT LIVE OUR LIVES WITHOUT BLUE EYES, WE WILL NOT LIVE OUR LIVES WITHOUT BLUE EYES!"
" WE WILL NOT LIVE OUR LIVES WITHOUT BLUE EYES" !! come on everyone we need to get this going! for real though why is this a problem? why is it so bad that blue eyes and blond hair is becoming less common? is it because of the common stereotype that this is the most beautiful and what not? because honestly its not.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:15 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,673,290 times
I have blue eyes! What's my prize?

Old 06-07-2015, 07:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Blue eyes see just as well as brown eyes. However, people with blue eyes, since their irises have less pigment, have a harder time dealing with bright sunlight. When they are older they are likely to get macular degeneration as well. This is probably part of the reason why blue eyes only became dominant in northern Europe, an area which gets rather less sunlight than most of the rest of the world.
Right.

My husband has crystal clear blue eyes and is also a natural, straight haired blonde. His hair was nearly white when he was a child, it was so light. He would have been a strong candidate for the Lebensborn project in Nazi Germany. Meanwhile, I have dark brown, coarse hair and eyes that are so dark they are nearly black.

Get this - we both had our DNA tested and he is a hodgepodge of European, southern European, French, WEST AFRICAN, and Jewish. Meanwhile, I am about 90 percent northern European, 7 percent French/German, and 3 percent "general European." I'm the whitest person I know!

So much for the "Aryan bloodline."

I had a hunch that things weren't exactly cut and dried because he tans super easily (a beautiful golden tan) and I have very fair skin that simply is "tan resistant." I don't burn easily, but I just don't tan easily either.

My husband's very blue eyes are super sensitive to light. He is also color blind. He is nearly incapacitated by sunlight, especially when driving, and always has to have a pair of sunglasses around, even in the dead of winter. Meanwhile, I can be out on the lake in blazing sunlight without a pair of sunglasses, and I can see the most subtle shades of color even in dim light.

Yeah, I'll stick with my own dark brown eyes and admire his blue eyes without a smidgen of jealousy.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 AM

797 posts, read 1,429,215 times
This thread is an undercover way of saying that America is becoming less 'white"

Old 06-08-2015, 11:21 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
There's still a lot of immigration from Central and Eastern Europe and a lot of them have blonde hair and/or blue eyes. I don't really see why it's such a big deal either way though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.