U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Best "wilderness" city?
Portland, OR 4 3.70%
Burlington, VT 3 2.78%
Fort Collins, CO 2 1.85%
Minneapolis, MN 3 2.78%
Asheville, NC 3 2.78%
Flagstaff, AZ 2 1.85%
Seattle, WA 18 16.67%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.85%
Anchorage, AK 20 18.52%
Boulder, CO 1 0.93%
Bend, OR 1 0.93%
Rapid City, SD 3 2.78%
Portland, ME 1 0.93%
Missoula, MT 4 3.70%
Nashville, TN 0 0%
La Crosse, WI 1 0.93%
Charleston, SC 0 0%
Louisville, KY 0 0%
Ithaca, NY 1 0.93%
Duluth, MN 5 4.63%
Salt Lake City, UT 6 5.56%
Denver, CO 6 5.56%
Austin, TX 3 2.78%
Los Angeles, CA 2 1.85%
Wenatchee, WA 1 0.93%
Other 16 14.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2015, 05:33 AM
 
Location: Austell, Georgia
2,145 posts, read 3,034,383 times
Reputation: 2011

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Anchorage, AK. Can't think of anywhere else that could match spectacular wilderness that scale.
I voted the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2015, 12:11 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,523 posts, read 7,465,981 times
Reputation: 10927
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Choosing just one on this poll is nearly impossible, as there are plenty of "right" answers....

I agree with this, there are lots of cities that offer a close getaway to a wilderness. I live in east Tennessee so I voted for Knoxville, the Smoky mountains are right in our backyard. We share this wilderness with our neighbors in western North Carolina, so Ashville NC has equal claim to this. However anyone who lives in Denver, Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle or even LA can claim access to the same thing. (mountain backcountry) Some cities in the nation such as Minneapolis or Green Bay have access to forest and lake country wilderness, Miami and New Orleans have access to some really remote wetland wilderness areas. Much of Maine is wilderness so Portland Maine should be listed as well. Here in the USA we are blessed with having a nation with so much wilderness remaining. The USA is truly a beautiful country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,551 posts, read 3,701,001 times
Reputation: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with this, there are lots of cities that offer a close getaway to a wilderness. I live in east Tennessee so I voted for Knoxville, the Smoky mountains are right in our backyard. We share this wilderness with our neighbors in western North Carolina, so Ashville NC has equal claim to this. However anyone who lives in Denver, Salt Lake City, Portland, Seattle or even LA can claim access to the same thing. (mountain backcountry) Some cities in the nation such as Minneapolis or Green Bay have access to forest and lake country wilderness, Miami and New Orleans have access to some really remote wetland wilderness areas. Much of Maine is wilderness so Portland Maine should be listed as well. Here in the USA we are blessed with having a nation with so much wilderness remaining. The USA is truly a beautiful country.
Well-stated. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 01:07 AM
 
1,721 posts, read 1,007,320 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Seattle may not be closer to wilderness in a general sense, but it is the closest major city to Mt. Rainier National Park, Olympic National Park, North Cascade Wilderness area, and the San Juan Islands.
Yeah, we might not really be on the 'edge' since it at least an hours drive to true wilderness, though the Alpine Lakes Wilderness are only about 45 minutes away via I-90. But there are many, many spectacular areas within a fairly reasonable distance, though none are really close for after work activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 08:37 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 1,834,364 times
Reputation: 699
Rapid city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 09:34 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,137 posts, read 9,909,375 times
Reputation: 6424
IMO, it has to be Anchorage, Alaska.

If you going by actual designated Wilderness areas, then look at this list of Federal Wilderness areas, you will see Alaska, Alaska, Alaska etc. over and over again.
List of largest wilderness areas in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But its not just that, right outside Anchorage is one of the largest state parks in the country, Chugach State Park with almost 500,000 acres. Next to Chugach SP is Chugach National Forest with almost 7 million acres. South of Anchorage is the almost 2 million acres Kenai National Wildlife Refugee, next to that is Kenai Fjords National Park with over 650,000 acres. And the list keeps going on and on.

Chugach State Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 12:30 PM
 
1,152 posts, read 2,615,689 times
Reputation: 1698
Boise. This city sits at the base of the inland west's largest tracts of alpine forests and the nations most miles of whitewater rivers are in Idaho and many rivers are in the mountains behind Boise. The Boise National Forest begins in the foothills within 20 minutes of downtown and is one of the largest national forests in the nation. It is beautiful wilderness within a quick drive out of city boundaries. I spend a lot of time in the BNF and there's more to see than I could do in a lifetime.

Boise is really unique in that the nations most remote and untouched alpine wilderness lands are nearby and there are also the deep sheer walled desert canyons south of the city in the Owyhee Canyonlands Wilderness.
The lower 48's largest roadless forested areas are also near Boise. Idaho is the Wilderness State and it is hard to beat Boise's adjacent access to the outdoors.


Boise also is blessed to be near the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness which is known as the wildest alpine area in the lower 48.

Quote:
Wilderness.net - Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness - General Information

Few places in America, and nowhere outside of Alaska, provide a Wilderness experience to match the sheer magnitude of the Frank Church-River of No Return, the second largest unit of the National Wilderness Preservation System in the Lower 48 (second in size only to California's Death Valley Wilderness).

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 05-24-2015 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 03:43 PM
 
1,721 posts, read 1,007,320 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Boise. This city sits at the base of the inland west's largest tracts of alpine forests and the nations most miles of whitewater rivers are in Idaho and many rivers are in the mountains behind Boise. The Boise National Forest begins in the foothills within 20 minutes of downtown and is one of the largest national forests in the nation. It is beautiful wilderness within a quick drive out of city boundaries. I spend a lot of time in the BNF and there's more to see than I could do in a lifetime.

Boise is really unique in that the nations most remote and untouched alpine wilderness lands are nearby and there are also the deep sheer walled desert canyons south of the city in the Owyhee Canyonlands Wilderness.
The lower 48's largest roadless forested areas are also near Boise. Idaho is the Wilderness State and it is hard to beat Boise's adjacent access to the outdoors.
Boise is beautiful. I've thought of moving there, but I really like being near large coastal areas. The rivers near Idaho are nice, but pale in comparison to the vast majesty of Puget Sound.

That's not intended as dis on Boise, but it's not as geographically diverse as Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,320 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Reputation: 33486
the two votes LA has received to this point, invalidates this entire poll
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:10 PM
 
1,721 posts, read 1,007,320 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the two votes LA has received to this point, invalidates this entire poll
No, it's just regional bias. But I see your point - LA is about as antithetical to wilderness as you can get. The Sonica Monica Mountains are fairly nice, but you have to drive awhile from most other areas, and their surrounded by gross sprawl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top