U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best "wilderness" city?
Portland, OR 4 3.70%
Burlington, VT 3 2.78%
Fort Collins, CO 2 1.85%
Minneapolis, MN 3 2.78%
Asheville, NC 3 2.78%
Flagstaff, AZ 2 1.85%
Seattle, WA 18 16.67%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.85%
Anchorage, AK 20 18.52%
Boulder, CO 1 0.93%
Bend, OR 1 0.93%
Rapid City, SD 3 2.78%
Portland, ME 1 0.93%
Missoula, MT 4 3.70%
Nashville, TN 0 0%
La Crosse, WI 1 0.93%
Charleston, SC 0 0%
Louisville, KY 0 0%
Ithaca, NY 1 0.93%
Duluth, MN 5 4.63%
Salt Lake City, UT 6 5.56%
Denver, CO 6 5.56%
Austin, TX 3 2.78%
Los Angeles, CA 2 1.85%
Wenatchee, WA 1 0.93%
Other 16 14.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 04:40 PM

216 posts, read 153,497 times

Advertisements

Missoula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,619,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanapolicRiddle View Post
Boise is beautiful. I've thought of moving there, but I really like being near large coastal areas. The rivers near Idaho are nice, but pale in comparison to the vast majesty of Puget Sound.

That's not intended as dis on Boise, but it's not as geographically diverse as Seattle.
I am talking about the rivers in Idaho, not near Idaho. My post was also referring to the wilderness areas adjacent and near Boise. The Payette River forks north of town in the Boise and Payette National Forests offer some of the best whitewater in the world and the scenery is beautiful. The Boise River system that drains out of the Sawtooth Wilderness is also very beautiful. Idaho has a lot of rivers in some of the most diverse ecosystems in the west. I also don't think the rivers in Idaho "pale in comparison to the vast majority of Puget Sound". I have worked for whitewater river companies the past 5 summers and a lot of our tourists are from Seattle. The Salmon River drainage including the Middle Fork are possibly the most fabled whitewater rivers in the Lower 48 and of course the scenery is world class.

The areas around Boise (and Idaho in general) offer some pretty amazing geographical and eco diversity. You can either choose the desert or the mountains and forests and the forests north of Boise stretching towards Canada are among the most healthy in the west with an impressive amount of flora and fauna diversity.

Based on your theory, all of the inland west states would pale in comparison to Puget Sound which isn't how I see the world.
The Seattle area is of course very beautiful, but the west is such an amazing area of the nation and really most states in the west can claim some of the most beautiful wilderness scenery in the county.

But back to the topic, cities like Boise, Salt Lake and Denver are all adjacent and near out of this world scenery, but my personal opinion is that Boise is closer to true wilderness of the three I listed and the outdoors are just so much more accessible and pristine imo.

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 05-24-2015 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 05:48 PM

2,319 posts, read 1,861,621 times
Many are good choices. I would say Alaska and TN choices.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:43 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,009,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Based on your theory, all of the inland west states would pale in comparison to Puget Sound which isn't how I see the world.
The Seattle area is of course very beautiful, but the west is such an amazing area of the nation and really most states in the west can claim some of the most beautiful wilderness scenery in the county.
The inland areas do pale in comparison to coastal areas for the simple reason - no oceans. Oceans are the most vast and diverse ecosystems in existence.

Boise's wilderness areas might be more readily accessible, but is the overall quality as good? No, plain and simple. There are no rain forests in Boise and no salt water bodies. There are certainly nice mountains and deserts, but Seattle has those within a couple hours. In short, we have everything, whereas Boise is lacking marine and rain forest ecosystems.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:55 PM

42 posts, read 50,605 times
Petition to add Albuquerque to the list.

Just a day hike or a 15 minute tram ride from the edge of the city to the top of the 10,679' Sandia Mountains. We have easier access to the wilderness from the city than Denver does to theirs IMO. It also takes about as long to get from ABQ to the Rockies in Northern NM as it does to get from Denver to, say, Rocky Mountain National Park.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 PM

21,367 posts, read 21,941,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmboltsfan View Post

Just a day hike or a 15 minute tram ride from the edge of the city to the top of the 10,679' Sandia Mountains. We have easier access to the wilderness from the city than Denver does to theirs IMO. It also takes about as long to get from ABQ to the Rockies in Northern NM as it does to get from Denver to, say, Rocky Mountain National Park.
looks like a giant city down there

Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,009,004 times
Quote:
ABQ is definitely up there as well. The surrounding mountains are beautiful. I'd dock it a few points for lack of water and ecological diversity. It's mostly desert and dryer inland forest ecosystems, which, while certainly beautiful, is somewhat limited compared to the best areas.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:56 PM

11,109 posts, read 12,501,220 times
Ouray, Colorado

Old 05-26-2015, 09:05 PM

82 posts, read 76,015 times
Has to be Anchorage. In the lower 48, Salt Lake or Seattle (or Boise). Or Vegas. Very inhospitable wilderness in NV though.

Why vote for Minneapolis when Duluth is listed?

Old 05-26-2015, 09:08 PM

6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
Quote:

I like ABQ but "easy access to wilderness" is a bit of an oxymoron. The Sandias are nice, but up here we call them foothills.

I'll second Jim's vote for Ouray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or