U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best "wilderness" city?
Portland, OR 4 3.70%
Burlington, VT 3 2.78%
Fort Collins, CO 2 1.85%
Minneapolis, MN 3 2.78%
Asheville, NC 3 2.78%
Flagstaff, AZ 2 1.85%
Seattle, WA 18 16.67%
Knoxville, TN 2 1.85%
Anchorage, AK 20 18.52%
Boulder, CO 1 0.93%
Bend, OR 1 0.93%
Rapid City, SD 3 2.78%
Portland, ME 1 0.93%
Missoula, MT 4 3.70%
Nashville, TN 0 0%
La Crosse, WI 1 0.93%
Charleston, SC 0 0%
Louisville, KY 0 0%
Ithaca, NY 1 0.93%
Duluth, MN 5 4.63%
Salt Lake City, UT 6 5.56%
Denver, CO 6 5.56%
Austin, TX 3 2.78%
Los Angeles, CA 2 1.85%
Wenatchee, WA 1 0.93%
Other 16 14.81%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:01 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,585,775 times

Advertisements

Denver...not sure if its even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,148,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Denver...not sure if its even close.
Yeah it is... Colorado Springs. I can walk across the street and be in the Pike National Forest.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:17 PM
_OT

2,147 posts, read 1,531,522 times
I would also make a case for Birmingham.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:50 AM

42 posts, read 50,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I would also make a case for Birmingham.
I have a hard believing any city East of the Mississippi is on the edge of anything you could really consider to be "wilderness."

Old 05-29-2015, 02:26 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,507,609 times
If we are using "spectacular" in an aesthetic sense (huge mountains, deep canyons, awe-inspiring unique landscapes, etc.) then I suppose many of the Cascade and Rocky Mtn. cities would come in at a tie, given they are so close in proximity to some very extreme and impressive terrain. However, even including the entirety of the western United States, the definition of "wilderness" existing near those cities is limited. There is still a large amount of population spread throughout the West, limiting the scope of the true "wilderness" there (untouched by humans). I understand that much of the wilderness out in the Rockies and beyond is very vast, however I think even all of the wilderness in the western United States pales in comparison to the wilderness accessible from two cities on this list: Anchorage and Duluth.

If we take "spectacular wilderness" to mean spectacular in size and scope, rather than in aesthetics (which I think the title of this thread does mean), Anchorage and Duluth are unparalleled. I think most people understand that about Anchorage, as it is in Alaska, surrounded by nothing is all directions, with thousands of miles of true untouched wilderness stretching on beyond imagination. I think Anchorage should win this poll without contest. However, I think that not many people grasp Duluth's position on the "edge of a spectacular wilderness." Maybe the U.S./Canadian border or the limits of Minnesota's state borders skew the perception, but once you reach Duluth, essentially everything north and east from there is empty, all the way through Canada to Hudson Bay and all the way to the north pole. Duluth is the last sizable area northward toward the north pole (with the exception of Thunder Bay, which is smaller than Duluth). Duluth is literally on the edge of a wilderness larger than any other remotely sizable city in the U.S. - or especially in this poll (other than Anchorage). It begins in the very sparsely populated arrowhead region of Minnesota (Superior National Forest, Voyageurs National Park, and the Boundary Waters National Wilderness Area) and continues through Ontario, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and the Arctic Ocean. From Wisconsin and eastward, the population is denser and the large cities (Detroit, Buffalo, etc.) are bounded to the north by nearly all of Canada's population. Duluth, however, only has Winnipeg off the the northwest, and everything to the north and east is wilderness void of human habitation all the way the Russia.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:29 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,507,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmboltsfan View Post
I have a hard believing any city East of the Mississippi is on the edge of anything you could really consider to be "wilderness."
This map illustrates my previous point, that if you ignore the imaginary boundary set by the United States border and extend this population density map northward into and past Canada, the wilderness in proximity to Anchorage and Duluth would appear far larger than the entire western United States.

Old 05-30-2015, 04:40 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,463,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmboltsfan View Post
How about Marquette, MI? It's the little dot of civilization next to Lake Superior in the U.P. of Michigan, surrounded by dark green "wilderness" on that map.

You might also notice that northwestern Maine is pretty darn remote, even more so than the U.P.

Here are a couple of pics I took about 5 miles from Marquette:

Old 05-30-2015, 05:59 PM

1,400 posts, read 2,292,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
Colorado Springs. I can walk across the street and be in the Pike National Forest.
You could do that in LA too. The Angeles National Forest.

Arroyo Seco / Pasadena / Altadena / Angeles National Forest

Old 05-30-2015, 09:43 PM

1,053 posts, read 733,276 times
Philadelphia, without a doubt. Many people who have never immersed themselves in my city tend to think that Philly is a gritty, polluted, super-urban, super-crowded, post-industrial city; nevertheless, we are so much more than that. There huge parks within the city (Fairmount Park, Wissahickon Valley Park, Pennypack Park, etc.). Hilly areas of the city like Chestnut Hill, East Falls, Mount Airy, Roxborough, etc., provide great views of the city, along with wildlife found in hilly areas. One can also go fishing in the Delaware and Schuylkill Rivers, along with our various creeks and streams. One can also experience the wilderness and mountains not too far outside of the city. In Delaware County, you have the beautiful John Heinz National Wildlife Reserve and Ridley Creek State Park. If you drive north/northeast/northwest of Philly, you can experience the tranquil Pocono Mountains and the Delaware River Gap. Heading west of Philly, one can experience the Appalachian Mountains and even walk the Appalachian Mountain Trail. Heading east of Philly, although not too infamous for wildlife, one can experience the aquatic life of South Jersey beaches. There is a lot of aquatic life to be seen both on the beach and in the Atlantic Ocean. The places that Philly are close to is pretty unparalleled.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 AM

1,242 posts, read 981,546 times
Lived in Anchorage. It's not even close. Anchorage is a frontier. I've heard and seen wolves, bears and moose in Anchorage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or