U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,403,309 times

Advertisements

Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 12:19 PM

8,037 posts, read 16,097,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Arcata, CA---voted itself a "nuclear-free zone" and a "sister city" of Camoapa, Nicaragua. What???
Over 17 Million Americans live in one of the nearly 200 communities that have voted themselves "nuclear free zones." Those cities include New York City, Chicago, and Oakland. I don't think that's weird.

Sister Cities are very casual relationships between cities that can stem from some shared cultural heritage, a similar export or economy, or similar size and setting. It's not too weird for a city to have a seemingly random sister city. For example, Montevallo,Alabama is sister cities with Echizen, Japan. Look at this list of sister cities. Many will make you go "why?" It's just not that weird.

Quote:
Plus, it's the capital of the cannabis-growing "Emerald Triangle."
I don't know Arcata. I've never been. I do know that much of the culture of Humboldt County is cannabis centric. That may be a big influence on the culture of Arcata. In fact, I'm sure it is and that is unique. However, the nuclear free zone and sister city don't really strike me as weird at all. Most visitors aren't going to show up in Arcata and be like, "Wow, you can really feel the nuclear free zone vibe! And many, this place just has sister-city agreement with Camoapa written all over it!" Those things probably negligibly impact the culture and feel of the area.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:27 PM

696 posts, read 883,457 times
Albuquerque fits the bill for sure.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:07 PM

9,448 posts, read 18,372,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Albuquerque fits the bill for sure.
Yeah, it becomes very apparent when watching the local news here. A city/metro of this size shouldn't have that many weird headlines. And the whole Breaking Bad bandwagon, they embrace it. There is a whole weird tourism element based on it. Where else would you see people snapping selfies in front of a car wash?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:33 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,704,584 times
I agree with New Orleans, which has the most strangest and quirky things of any city I have ever been to.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:35 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,927,374 times
New Orleans, Key West, Hollywood part of LA, Jewish parts of Brooklyn, lot of good choices.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,727,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Yeah, it becomes very apparent when watching the local news here. A city/metro of this size shouldn't have that many weird headlines. And the whole Breaking Bad bandwagon, they embrace it. There is a whole weird tourism element based on it. Where else would you see people snapping selfies in front of a car wash?
Is Albuquerque really like the Weird Al song?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.