U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If $$$ and income were not an issue, would you choose San Diego or Miami?
San Diego 33 61.11%
Miami 21 38.89%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:59 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,603,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
I could live in either city...both have some nice features.

Ultimately, I think the superior amenity base of California wins the day. It is instructive that California's "third tier" big city (San Diego) still beats Miami (Florida's best big city).
What do you mean "beats"? A poll on city data?

I lived in San Diego, live in Miami Beach now. I can tell you there are few things San Diego beats Miami on, very very few things. And it shows, a lot more wealth is parked here than in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:31 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,841,400 times
Clearly I've already chosen Miami. I'd just move up to the Penthouse of my building.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:33 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,156,990 times
san diego

better weather
better food
more american

Old 05-27-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
san diego

better weather
I guess if you don't want to take advantage of the beach as much, or lounge outside at night.

Quote:
better food
The only area that San Diego beats Miami is Asian food and even there the lead is not significant. Miami, being a far bigger city, has more culinary options from the low end to the high end than San Diego.

Quote:
more american
There are areas in Miami metro for that, like Ft Lauderdale, Palm Beach, and what have you.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:02 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,362,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
What do you mean "beats"? A poll on city data?

I lived in San Diego, live in Miami Beach now. I can tell you there are few things San Diego beats Miami on, very very few things. And it shows, a lot more wealth is parked here than in San Diego.
It does not take a poll on City-Data to know San Diego is perennially on the "best of" lists for larger U.S. cities with regards to overall quality of life. Miami not as much.

Yes, wealthy Latin Americans will use Miami to park their currency in Miami real estate given the proximity of Miami to that region. Latin America is my favorite place to vacation. But just because wealthy Venezuelans or Brazilians pick Miami to park capital does not make it better than San Diego.

Regardless of global capital flows, which are tied to political crisis and geographic convenience, I think San Diego overall beats Miami (though both have their merits for sure). SD has better weather, lower crime, better educational infrastructure, more geographic variety and it is located in California which trumps being in Florida.

The Mediterranean climate of So.Calif. alone is almost enough to put S.D. over Miami. The comfortable climate of San Diego is preferred by far more people than Miami's warm, humid climate. I understand that is YOUR preference but it is a fact that most people would take SD's climate in a second over Miami's (cold Pacific Ocean notwithstanding).

Again, I like Miami and would even enjoy living there. I grew up in LA, have spent plenty of time in San Diego, I have a cousin that lives in Florida and have done many trips to Florida (including Miami for business and pleasure) so I am quite familiar with both.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:40 AM

2,319 posts, read 1,863,178 times
San Diego, no question. Much prefer it to Miami weather, culture, lifestyle, ect. Miami would be my last choice living in FL as well, much better areas in FL, IMO.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:11 AM

5,314 posts, read 3,530,864 times
Quote:
The only area that San Diego beats Miami is Asian food and even there the lead is not significant. Miami, being a far bigger city, has more culinary options from the low end to the high end than San Diego.
LOL! And you claim to have lived there?

Mexican food in San Diego is on an entirely different level than Miami.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
LOL! And you claim to have lived there?

Mexican food in San Diego is on an entirely different level than Miami.
Not only did I live there, I lived on the ocean, in a place with a ocean view.

Mexican food is weak in San Diego, for whatever reason. It's more "California-Mexican" food offerings. A lot of burrito drive through joints. Unless of course you count Tijuana as part of San Diego.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLegal View Post
Yes, wealthy Latin Americans will use Miami to park their currency in Miami real estate given the proximity of Miami to that region. Latin America is my favorite place to vacation. But just because wealthy Venezuelans or Brazilians pick Miami to park capital does not make it better than San Diego.
You forget wealthy Europeans, Canadians and Americans as well.

Quote:
Regardless of global capital flows, which are tied to political crisis and geographic convenience, I think San Diego overall beats Miami (though both have their merits for sure). SD has better weather, lower crime, better educational infrastructure, more geographic variety and it is located in California which trumps being in Florida.
I don't really think the weather is better, but that's debatable and I can see why some people prefer it if they're not into water sports, and just want a comfortable lifestyle somewhere. Crime because Miami is much bigger and more diverse.

Quote:
The Mediterranean climate of So.Calif. alone is almost enough to put S.D. over Miami. The comfortable climate of San Diego is preferred by far more people than Miami's warm, humid climate. I understand that is YOUR preference but it is a fact that most people would take SD's climate in a second over Miami's (cold Pacific Ocean notwithstanding).
I don't really know if "most" would. I know 2 people here who used to live in San Diego and they prefer Miami's constantly warm climate to San Diego's constantly cool to comfortable climate. There is a good PR effort around San Diego advertising her climate as the best in the USA but in reality many people find it too cool year round, me included. Not a huge gripe, but in San Diego I had a constant craving of traveling to tropical places.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:32 AM

5,314 posts, read 3,530,864 times
Quote:
Not only did I live there, I lived on the ocean, in a place with a ocean view.

Mexican food is weak in San Diego, for whatever reason. It's more "California-Mexican" food offerings. A lot of burrito drive through joints.
Minimalize all you want, but this is beyond ridiculous.

Anyone that's been to both knows the truth, and San Diego blows Miami (and most East Coast cities) away in this category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or