U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If $$$ and income were not an issue, would you choose San Diego or Miami?
San Diego 33 61.11%
Miami 21 38.89%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 08:19 AM

5,314 posts, read 3,524,919 times

Advertisements

The waves of delusion emanating from Miami recently has become extremely entertaining to witness.

Thanks for being such a large contributor to it, SDPMiami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 AM

15,470 posts, read 25,453,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Crime because Miami is much bigger and more diverse.
That's not really a reason to have higher crime seeing as bigger and more diverse cities than Miami have lower crime rates. And Miami really isn't more diverse than San Diego overall anyways.
Quote:
I don't really know if "most" would. I know 2 people here who used to live in San Diego and they prefer Miami's constantly warm climate to San Diego's constantly cool to comfortable climate. There is a good PR effort around San Diego advertising her climate as the best in the USA but in reality many people find it too cool year round, me included. Not a huge gripe, but in San Diego I had a constant craving of traveling to tropical places.
I don't think SD has a the best climate, I prefer Hawaii, but I realize that I like it on the warmer side compared to most people. I think your inclination towards warmer climates skews your perception of what other people generally prefer. Climate is obviously very subjective but it's not hard to see the general consensus that San Diego has preferable weather to Miami. And even for those that find the coastal area of SD too cool, they can move inland for warmer temps. Not saying that is the same as living by the beach in Miami but just pointing out the types of temperature options people in SD have versus Miami.
Quote:
That's what every tourist thinks, San Diego has good Mexican food.
That's how most residents feel too, you're clearly an exception to that.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:41 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,601,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's not really a reason to have higher crime seeing as bigger and more diverse cities than Miami have lower crime rates. And Miami really isn't more diverse than San Diego overall anyways.
It is, the black, white, and latino populations in Miami are more diverse than the black and white populations in San Diego who are mostly "American" and the latino population in San Diego which is mostly Mexican or Mexican-American. Now San Diego has more asians, and Miami more blacks. The asian population of San Diego while not huge is fairly diverse by my experience, plenty of Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese. And while I'd personally desire some more Asian diversity in Miami, at the expense of say the other groups, it is what it is.

Though you're right, that's not the reason Miami has more crime.

Quote:
I don't think SD has a the best climate, I prefer Hawaii, but I realize that I like it on the warmer side compared to most people. I think your inclination towards warmer climates skews your perception of what other people generally prefer. Climate is obviously very subjective but it's not hard to see the general consensus that San Diego has preferable weather to Miami. And even for those that find the coastal area of SD too cool, they can move inland for warmer temps. Not saying that is the same as living by the beach in Miami but just pointing out the types of temperature options people in SD have versus Miami.
I offered that I could see why people would prefer San Diego to Miami. However if you're into water sports/beach culture/boating almost automatically you will prefer Miami.

Quote:
That's how most residents feel too, you're clearly an exception to that.
I don't know you can tell me with a straight face San Diego has good Mexican food. You can certainly find a good taco place or restaurant looking around the city but most of the places are "California-Mexican" food meaning burritos with french fries, and that kind of style.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
It is, the black, white, and latino populations in Miami are more diverse than the black and white populations in San Diego who are mostly "American" and the latino population in San Diego which is mostly Mexican or Mexican-American. Now San Diego has more asians, and Miami more blacks. The asian population of San Diego while not huge is fairly diverse by my experience, plenty of Japanese, Koreans, and Vietnamese. And while I'd personally desire some more Asian diversity in Miami, at the expense of say the other groups, it is what it is.

Though you're right, that's not the reason Miami has more crime.
Well believe what you want but pretty much every study/survey I've seen puts San Diego ahead of Miami as far as diversity.
Quote:
I offered that I could see why people would prefer San Diego to Miami. However if you're into water sports/beach culture/boating almost automatically you will prefer Miami.
Not necessarily, a lot of people like that in San Diego that don't seem to have any desire to move to Miami or Florida.

Quote:
I don't know you can tell me with a straight face San Diego has good Mexican food. You can certainly find a good taco place or restaurant looking around the city but most of the places are "California-Mexican" food meaning burritos with french fries, and that kind of style.
In my 9 years living in San Diego I never heard anyone say that it has bad Mexican food overall. If you don't like it that's your opinion but not sure how you don't realize that you're in a very, very small minority with that.

And pretty much every place serves other types of burritos aside from just CA Burritos.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Well believe what you want but pretty much every study/survey I've seen puts San Diego ahead of Miami as far as diversity.
Put it this way, I hear a bigger variety of languages spoken here than San Diego. In Miami there are 3 official languages the police need to know (English, Spanish, French). In San Diego that's 2 at most but I forget.

Quote:
Not necessarily, a lot of people like that in San Diego that don't seem to have any desire to move to Miami or Florida.
I'm not sure how that applies to anything I said. A lot of people in San Diego have never been to Miami.

Quote:
In my 9 years living in San Diego I never heard anyone say that it has bad Mexican food overall. If you don't like it that's your opinion but not sure how you don't realize that you're in a very, very small minority with that.
I have heard people complain, mostly people from either strong regional American-Mexican cuisine places like New Mexico or people from more cultured places like Los Angeles. Let's face it, San Diego is an all-American city. Even the majority of the Mexicans there speak English and were born there.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how that applies to anything I said. A lot of people in San Diego have never been to Miami.
You claimed "if you're into water sports/beach culture/boating almost automatically you will prefer Miami" and there are a lot of people in San Diego that are into those things and they don't prefer Miami or Florida in general despite the warmer water and climate.
Quote:
I have heard people complain, mostly people from either strong regional American-Mexican cuisine places like New Mexico or people from more cultured places like Los Angeles. Let's face it, San Diego is an all-American city. Even the majority of the Mexicans there speak English and were born there.
Well there are always exceptions but the general consensus from what I gather from residents and visitors is the Mexican food in San Diego is pretty good overall. Not sure what Mexicans speaking English has anything to do with that either.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:50 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,170,205 times
Ideally, South Florida would have terrain more rugged like San Diego. Aside from that, my choice is Miami for everything and I do mean everything.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,404,938 times
Quote:
In San Diego, there was a year I never entered the ocean due to the ocean being too cold. And this was me, having my place right on the ocean with my private beach. I would just lay on the beach, and read. But stick my foot in? Not at all.

Here in Miami Beach, I go almost everyday.
LOL, I went swimming in Orange County in February. Tough, you are not. Hot water on a 95 degree day is gross.

Quote:
Let's put it this way, I've eaten better Mexican food in Chicago than San Diego. I'm not going to sit here and tell that Miami has good Mexican food, more that both are rather weak in that regard. And this comes from a native of Los Angeles who knows his Mexican food, better than some Atlanta guy who probably thinks a burrito with guacamole and french fries is good Mexican cuisine.
I actually agree with this. Spent many years out in LA/Orange/San Diego. SD was very disappointing in that regard, considering everything. Even locals took me to uninspired joints. Though Chicago is highly underrated in that regard.

In fact, SD is a disappointing city in many ways. A weird empty feeling, like a cultural vacuum. Military and jerk factor disproportionately high. Best weather I've ever experienced, though, whereas Miami has some of the worst. Usually, this wouldn't be an enormous factor, as I believe Miami to be culturally and otherwise superior, but they're so different in that regard...and Miami is SO isolated...and the terrain is so much more beautiful and varied near SD. Just enough to swing my vote to within 20 miles (come on, how about 40-50?) from the city.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:49 PM

4,155 posts, read 4,491,623 times
Quote:
In San Diego, there was a year I never entered the ocean due to the ocean being too cold. And this was me, having my place right on the ocean with my private beach. I would just lay on the beach, and read. But stick my foot in? Not at all.

Here in Miami Beach, I go almost everyday.
So, tell me about your private beach. Where is it?

Old 05-28-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
So, tell me about your private beach. Where is it?
It's not mine anymore, but it's off sunset cliffs, a staircase down the cliff only accessible from my former place can get you there. Since it's small and cut off by cliff faces, from nearby beaches you'd need to swim or boat to get to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or